They backed into us!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
They backed into us!!!

mad We were gassing up at a Stop in Go in Flagler or Brevard county and some idiot backed into us!
I got a bad jerk and whiplash and started screaming at dH - who was facing the gas pump "We'vebeen Hit! Weve been hit!"

He never reacted- later on told me he never heard me.

I jumped out still screaming and ran to the back of the Snoozy- afraid of a massive damage to the FG- fortunately they had hit the steel bumper.

The other driver was about to drive away until I got back there and then asked if we could just not report it!!???

DH finally heard me- I was holding onto the pain in my neck-he asked me if I wanted to file a report with the police, I said no. It's not as if we had any visible damage- and I already have a wrecked spine and chronic pain issues- who would be able to tell if I was having pain because of the new accident or because of the old damage??And we were doing a big push to get home by 6 pm (didn't get home till 8, that's another story)

WhenI asked him if he had really NOT noticed the bang and big jerk DH said, "You know I'm not very observant about things"...

I am more than a little upset, to put it mildly.

I would think a car backing into your trailer and the resultant bang and movement should clue you in that SOMETHING was wrong...

BTW when we put the Snoozy back in storage noticed a tire was low. DH said "I don't think it's a problem"...last time we had this discussion there was a screw in the tread.!!! I have now invested in an air compressor that can reinflate within 3 minutes, with a 10 ft 12V plug.

Starting to feel alone in this activity...
Old 05-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When I added this bumper to the Scamp I knew it would not be of much use in a real collision. My hope was that it would serve us well if someone bumped us from behind. At least it holds the stinky slinky very well, hope I never have to find out about the bump!
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 005.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
That is really annoying. Carelessness by others can be so maddening.

But I'm curious how you can get whiplash from something your partner didn't even notice, that caused no damage and wasn't worth reporting. I had a whiplash injury as a kid and there was absolutely no way the incident could have gone unnoticed.

Hope your trip helps you relax.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You and your husband have my deepest sympathy .
Please try and remember that your husband did not cause the accident. He was an innocent bystander as were you.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It can be a good balance to have one partner in a relationship with a "low key" response and another with a stronger "crisis mode" response. Value each other for what each of you contributes in the way of good situational management.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Oh, my. I'm glad it wasn't worse, but, oh, my!! I feel for you!! Your Snoozy is practically brand new!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Since your neck was hurting, it would have been better to get their driver's license and insurance info before he left the scene. That way your next doctor visits could have been covered by the other guy's med pay. No copay or anything out of your pocket. The fact that you may have been more susceptible to injury or that you already have spine & neck problems is of little relevance; he was responsible and his insurance would have kicked in.

But what's done is done, and I hope you don't have any new complications resulting from this incident.

Don't be too hard on the hubby; obliviousness does not equate to a lack of caring and love!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

Florida
Yeah, we have complementary personalities most of the time.
Raspy, it was not a minor bump. It was pretty major and the snoozy/Durango pushback pushed the hitting car backfar enough the driver could have just driven away. (in fact was starting to!) I didn't check the front of that car for damage.
You don't understand how MaJOR his obliviousness is!
I've accustomed myself to his blank stare and unawareness most of the time.
We're talking about the time needed to get a sheriff's deputy car there to take a report and god knows how much time in an ER, with 4 cats in the car and 90+ degree heat. I know what is severe enough to call for an ER run and this was borderline. If we were in our hometown sure, because dh could run the cats to the house.
I'm over it mostly by now. I do wish he was more aware of what is happening around him. When he was talking about opening his own store years back I told him not until he doubled his life insurance and took out both short and longterm disability, because he has no understanding of body language or ability to gauge mood.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Your personalities do sound complimentary: A pain in the neck, and a pain in the ass! Just kidding!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

Florida
:-)
Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
:-)
Hi: Mitzi Agnew-Giles... I'm to poor to pay attention. My DW thinks I need a hearing aid. I already wear glasses... but we don't see things the same either!!!
Keep on Camping.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Floyd - would you be willing to send directions on how to install your new bumper with stinky slinky attachment? I am constructing a 6" wide slinky holder with slide out tray that holds new slinky + attachments, similar to what Donna and others built and attached to bottom of their FRG's. Unfortunately there's no room under my 13 ft Scamp for attachment. I thought of removing the battery box, attaching it there and resecuring the battery box to top of slinky holder...not sure if that's best solution or how to do it either. There's always sticking it on car roof rack, but that's not practical.

Would love to hear from you regards the bumper as I too, have a spare tire attached.
Thanks,
Marilyn
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote