They Bought The Casita!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
They Bought The Casita!!!

Hot & Humid so I am inside doing projects. Had the TV on in the background on HGTV Tiny House Buyers.

Young couple with a $25K budget looked at 3 towable (Maybe) tiny homes. They ultimate goal was to travel the USA and see the country all while living full time in their new "Home".

Choice #one was a LARGE stick built home built on a utility trailer at about 200 ft2 and would need a BIG tow vehicle due to size/weight priced at $23K.

The second choice was what appeared to be a 16 foot Casita at $13.5K.

The 3rd choice was a modified camper with cedar sides, 125 ft2 of space & supposedly towable with a 1/2 ton truck for $27K.

The young wife's MOTHER was the licensed agent helping them on their search.

The couple chose the Casita at a final negotiated price of $12,500.

In the end the convenience, design, quality and the usable space of the Casita won out along with another $12K in their pocket to spend on travel.

I find it interesting that this show still does not convey the issue that increasingly camp grounds are limiting or banning "None RV" manufactured "Tiny Homes" from entering their campgrounds. This would have been a good episode to discuss this issue as all 3 choices were towable.

With more and more private campgrounds going to longer term site rentals resulting in fewer and fewer for rent overnight or short term rental this "Tiny House Towable" trend may just end before it starts!

All I can say is that I hope those denied access to privately owned commercial campgrounds enjoy camping at Wal Mart or the No Services Provided public park!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That seems like a strange kind of cross-shopping. Tiny homes are more like park models than travel trailers. One is built for continuous occupation through four seasons and occasional relocation. The other is meant to stay on the go, following temperate weather.

They chose a travel trailer over an overweight ersatz park model to tour the USA. Only reality TV could make a half hour show out of something so patently obvious!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Tiny Houses

I think it is just nuts that they buy those heavy boxes with very limited storage and not very roadworthy. It seems they never even think about a camper that is already all set up. Hooray for this couple who was smart enough to choose the Casita.
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
casita

I saw that show I thought it was the17ft ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #5

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I saw that show I thought it was the17ft ?
I think it was a 17 footer.
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita