They Don't Make 'em Like This Anymore! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 03:47 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
They Don't Make 'em Like This Anymore!

Friends sent me this picture of a stick built motorhome built to last! No fiberglass, but classy in it's own way. Sorry no interior pics. I believe it was found near Green Bay, WI. at Nueske's Meat Market. Anyway, it made me smile.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Image 8-13-17 at 5.17 AM.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #2

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I think that is called a "House Car" or "House Truck". They are hand built individually by the owner or someone farmed out to do the job. There are a few of these great older ones travelling around the show circuit still. Newer ones are still being built today in the same fashion - mostly with garden shed type things bolted to the back of a box truck chassis but the older ones really make me want one with the style they ooze. - By the way - this looks like a more modern creation on an old truck chassis made to look old. The best of both worlds!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Spotted this up in Alaska last year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160705_102230.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

Michigan
Thanks Bryan, I want to see it for myself next time I cross the "Cheddar Curtain" as we used to say when living in IL. Won't tell you what they called us Illinoisans, as this is a family friendly forum It looks like the ideal MH for Jed Clampett and his clan.

Dave, nice little Tiny Home. We see one of those in Pensacola moving from campground to campground. It looks like it would be a nightmare navigating under power lines and overpasses. Thanks!

Tom
Old 08-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Tom

Is that a Dachshund I'm lookin' at?
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
Tom

Is that a Dachshund I'm lookin' at?
Yes Mike, That would be Dewey, the Wonder Weiner Dog in the foreground. Piper, the Mini Rat Terrier has his back. Sadly, Dewey went on to the Rainbow Bridge in 2014 at the age of 16.5 years. He loved camping, traveling and life itself. Leaving his picture in the avatar is like bringing a little of him with us. Piper is a great little dog too, and fun to camp with. She misses her big brother too. Thanks for noticing!

Tom
Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #7

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Always a hoot to see things like that. Often they're real labors of love. I'm just glad I don't have to tow them!

We saw this rig a couple of years ago at an RV park in Utah. It was being used as an advertisement for the park, but I think it was actually somebody's home-built RV at one time:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3229 edit 1.jpg  
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Yes Mike, That would be Dewey, the Wonder Weiner Dog in the foreground. Piper, the Mini Rat Terrier has his back. Sadly, Dewey went on to the Rainbow Bridge in 2014 at the age of 16.5 years. He loved camping, traveling and life itself. Leaving his picture in the avatar is like bringing a little of him with us. Piper is a great little dog too, and fun to camp with. She misses her big brother too. Thanks for noticing!

Tom
Wirehaired Dachshunds are all we've ever had...usually 2 at a time. Ya can't have just one! lol Only Dolly the Dawg remains..the others are at Rainbow Bridge playing with Dewey.
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Sold 2017 Casita SD
North Carolina
Title

Quote:
Thanks Bryan, I want to see it for myself next time I cross the "Cheddar Curtain" as we used to say when living in IL. Won't tell you what they called us Illinoisans, as this is a family friendly forum It looks like the ideal MH for Jed Clampett and his clan.

Dave, nice little Tiny Home. We see one of those in Pensacola moving from campground to campground. It looks like it would be a nightmare navigating under power lines and overpasses. Thanks!

Tom
Getting an rv title and insurance is almost impossible in NC let alone trying to tow it down the road.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Friends sent me this picture of a stick built motorhome built to last! No fiberglass, but classy in it's own way. Sorry no interior pics. I believe it was found near Green Bay, WI. at Nueske's Meat Market. Anyway, it made me smile.
Tom
Hi: TomK... Here's a pic of a modern wooden dream escape. Saw it at the 2016 Tampa RV Show.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040234.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Michigan
Will you pick it up before Scamp Camp, Highland Hammock Alf? Can't wait to see it!

Tom