Thinking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Mom and I look forward to travelling, as we have our Scrabble game in the trailer. It was given to us by another couple at a campground in the foothills of the Rockies in 1998. They were going to sell their trailer when they got home and thought they would like us to have it. Our boys grew up equating Scrabble with rainy or cool evenings in the trailer also. As we upgraded over the years, We have placed little importance on TV and computers, and have anticipated the conversation and friendly competition this Scrabble game has given us. Nice evenings are spent by the campfire, and cool or damp ones around the table playing Scrabble. Now both boys have their own travel trailers, and neither one has a TV in it!
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
My first husband and I called that game "Squabble"...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
We, too, travel WITHOUT at TV. Nothing like an evening playing Yahtzee or Phase 10 or dominoes or whatever at a picnic table by lamplight. It just feels RIGHT. As far as being "out of touch" - THAT's the POINT!! Bad news, really bad news, WILL find you. We generally check our computer for e-mail every day or two, and if it is NATIONAL bad news, the locals will tell us. Otherwise, we are on VACATION.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #24

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now I enjoy some technology with me when I go camping. If cellular reception is good, I can stream pandora radio when I take a nap in the afternoon (to prepare myself for late night drinking lol... I cant seem to sleep in...) I usually bring my kindle with me because I enjoy some quiet times to read. TV...no way! I gave mine up when I moved on my boat. Now that Im in a rowhome/townhouse Im thinkin of getting one because I have netflix on demand through the internet to watch movies on... bigger screen then my laptop... if I have company over it would be handy.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #25

Trailer: Boler 1984
Dad's old 38 Chev
Emptying the ice box
A coal chute into the basement
Walking or biking wherever you went.
Coke costs 5 cents and I was mad when it went to6 cents cause I only got a nickel allowance

Listening to boxing
Amos and Andy
Fibber Magee and Molly
Foster Hewitt and Hockey Night in Canada
All on the radio.... We didn't have TV until I was in my teens.
Test patterns
Flickering images
Talking heads
Ed Sullivan
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #26

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Soda Pop was a dime. Ya got 2 cents back on the empty, and Double Bubbles were 3 for a penny!!!
My job was to empty the drip pan!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Duplex Action Refrigerator.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Been thinking on it more... re-reading the thread, the tough part seems to be the tendency for "younger folk" to gadget up - phone, music, games, whatever, and not ENGAGE in REAL life. We took our 11 year old g/son with us this past summer. He, too, gets into electronic-land. We just called him on it... "OK (kid), time to put that away and talk to us (or play a game)" Didn't ASK, didn't make a big deal, just that it is time... It DOES drive Michele and me NUTS when our kids come over and sit and text all the time. We are "that close" to putting a "cell phone basket" by the front door... kinda like check your pistols in the old west... lol
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #28

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Im 45 and not addicted to my phone lol..I like its access to google to look things up but rarely is it out when Im with friends... stick me in a dr's office and yeah it can amuze me if I didnt bring my kindle to read... but I have friends 10 years older then me that are addicted to their phone or the internet and can't look away from it when they have company over... kinda sad so its not only limited to kids
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Ahhhh, the snapshot memories we have. Slightly blurred like the black and white photos that my grandma took with her brownie camera.....I remember.... being on the way to a campground somewhere with my family and grandmother, and a couple of uncles and aunt, and cousins. We all stopped at a rest area, and sat with the doors to the cars open because of the heat.......and the radio on.......while the first man on the moon transmitted his 'first steps for mankind'.
Those kind of things stay with you.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We enjoy being on the road with our trailer, but we need to have connectivity to the world due to our jobs. As a school district superintendent, I need to be available 24/7 most days, so the phone or computer is a necessity. My wife's job as a university professor/program chair requires her to be available to students and staff, too. I have about 7-8 years until retirement, so I hope to be more free then!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I wouldn't trade Google, with all its ephemera, for a 50 yr. old Encyclopedia Brittanica. The interface with the world was unconscionably slow when you had to slam a screen door to find it but it was 3D and five senses all day long. I worry that the reduction in distance between the haves and havenots is leading to little besides trigger-finger thumb. Don't get me wrong, I love technology. It's just the way most of us abuse it that offends my sense of survival.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
But the internet keeps the masses quiet, entertained, and distracted, Jack!

It's the modern "circus" part of the old Romans' "bread and circuses" means of keeping the great unwashed entertained while the Powers That Be go about their business...

But even the Romans could not have imagined that there'd ever be a way to continuously crawl up the leg of the "entertained" while they were at the circus...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Beer in a bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
My parents use to take a milk jug to get beer at the Wilton Candy Kitchen.
When I was a kid in the 50's I remember being sent on Sundays to the Spot bar for a bucket of beer. (Off sale of liquor in Minnesota is illegal on Sunday)
I would tell the bartender my Grandpa Charlie wanted some beer , the bartender would fill the bucket and send me home. Try that now days
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When I was a kid in the 50's I remember being sent on Sundays to the Spot bar for a bucket of beer. (Off sale of liquor in Minnesota is illegal on Sunday)
I would tell the bartender my Grandpa Charlie wanted some beer , the bartender would fill the bucket and send me home. Try that now days
Did they rub some butter around the edge of the "bucket" to kill the foam? Get a full bucket of beer that way or so my friends in Pittsburgh have told me.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Butter The Bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerseyBA View Post
Did they rub some butter around the edge of the "bucket" to kill the foam? Get a full bucket of beer that way or so my friends in Pittsburgh have told me.
Yes my grandmother did butter the bucket . I forgot all about buttering till you pleasantly reminded me. I remember having to walk slow so i wouldn't shake up the beer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote