Thinking about fantastic fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Thinking about fantastic fan

So my 1975 Scamp 13 tiny factory roof vent is leaking so I took it off to fix it, what a pain in the butt. I'm really not looking forward to redoing the windows some day.

Anyway, since i have it pulled out I was thinking if I should just enlarge the hole and install a fantastic fan? Problem is it would be right over the kitchen area and being that my head already almost touches the roof I'm wondering whether I would just keep hitting the corners with my forehead? The spacer on the outside is not an option since the Scamp wouldn't fit in the garage with it.

I also thought about patching the hole and cutting one out over the table but I have no ensolite to replace the patched area. My current vent is so old and dirty, I don't feel like cleaning it and unfortunately they don't sell replacements. Any opinions or thoughts on what I should do?
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
So my 1975 Scamp 13 tiny factory roof vent is leaking so I took it off to fix it, what a pain in the butt. I'm really not looking forward to redoing the windows some day.

Anyway, since i have it pulled out I was thinking if I should just enlarge the hole and install a fantastic fan? Problem is it would be right over the kitchen area and being that my head already almost touches the roof I'm wondering whether I would just keep hitting the corners with my forehead? The spacer on the outside is not an option since the Scamp wouldn't fit in the garage with it.

I also thought about patching the hole and cutting one out over the table but I have no ensolite to replace the patched area. My current vent is so old and dirty, I don't feel like cleaning it and unfortunately they don't sell replacements. Any opinions or thoughts on what I should do?
I enlarged the opening and installed a fantastic fan in my LoveBug. I don't think the location is critical since it will pull air through the camper efficiently from any location. I am 6'0" and i didn't have any trouble dealing with the vent location, but you could install it with a flange on the roof and the fan flush with the ceiling.

Here is what it looked like (sort of a sailor hat)...
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_2.jpg   06_30_0.JPEG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I enlarged the opening and installed a fantastic fan in my LoveBug. I don't think the location is critical since it will pull air through the camper efficiently from any location. I am 6'0" and i didn't have any trouble dealing with the vent location, but you could install it with a flange on the roof and the fan flush with the ceiling.

Here is what it looked like (sort of a sailor hat)...
You're location of the fan isn't bad, mine is located right above the sink area (best pic I have below). But if I installed a spacer to make the fan flush with the roof inside, I wouldn't be able to get it through the garage I think. I wish I could try one out in person, it's so difficult making a decision like this over there internet.
Attached Thumbnails
20160520_201949~01.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
You're location of the fan isn't bad, mine is located right above the sink area (best pic I have below). But if I installed a spacer to make the fan flush with the roof inside, I wouldn't be able to get it through the garage.
They do make a fantastic fan with a flush lid instead of a dome... Or you could do what I did and raise the header on the garage (see photos)and put in a eight foot high door..
The world is so full of compromises. Actually you can learn to adapt, My Prefire Scamp has A/C, but I hardly notice.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2009 001.jpg   11-front.jpg  

Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #5

New Jersey
Quote:
They do make a fantastic fan with a flush lid instead of a dome... Or you could do what I did and raise the header on the garage and put in a eight foot high door..
The world is so full of compromises. Actually you can learn to adapt, My Prefire Scamp has A/C, but I hardly notice.
Yes I saw those flush lids, would the Scamp fit in the garage with it?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Yes I saw those flush lids, would the Scamp fit in the garage with it?
Yours would. Assuming a 7ft door.
But there is a method which would work even with the dome lid,it involves simply raising the tongue as you back it in by hand then after you get the rear of the trailer through the door, you can lower the tongue to get the clearance needed for the fan. It worked for me with many vintage Scamps before I raised the header(s).
Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #7

New Jersey
Quote:
Yours would. Assuming a 7ft door.
But there is a method which would work even with the dome lid,it involves simply raising the tongue as you back it in by hand then after you get the rear of the trailer through the door, you can lower the tongue to get the clearance needed for the fan. It worked for me with many vintage Scamps before I raised the header(s).
My garage door is 7ft, the current slim vent I have now just makes it in with maybe an inch to spare. I wish there fantastic fan didn't extend into the camper by over am inch. It's so close to where we stand and move around that I'd be worried we'd be hitting our heads on it all the time.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Go with the spacer on the outside of the trailer and then get some smaller 8" wheels for when you want to store it in your garage. Should drop it down low enough for fitting past the door sill.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

New Jersey
When installing a roof vent do you use one strip of butyl tape all around or is it better to put two for added thickness, one right on top of the other?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
If both surfaces are relatively flat, one strip should do. As long as it is starting to squish out the sides, you should be making a good leak proof seal. If you've got some bigger gaps then you would have to add more to make up the difference.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Our Fan-Tastic Vent fan does stick down inside the trailer, but it's mainly the knob(s) that are lowest. So far Paul hasn't hit his head on them, but he's only five-ten. I'm 5-two so for me the whole thing is plenty tall.

Others here have suggested those 8" wheels/tires for rolling into the garage; lowers the trailer by a couple inches or more.

It IS very hard to make decisions based on only internet advice, but it helps.

We thought about raising the garage door header, but that's not going to happen. It's a YUUUGE project, and our garage isn't big enough to give us any wiggle room at all. We can't even walk around the car to get to the far side, and we sure aren't taking the trailer in and out all the time. So we'll stick with other solutions.

What bothers me most about having the trailer in the driveway is that it's such a barometer of when we're home or gone. So far we've just sort of ignored that issue; it's not a bad neighborhood and our neighbors keep an eye out, for whatever that's worth. Maybe one day we'll figure out another solution...or sell the trailer and give up on this...but not yet.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #12

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Our Fan-Tastic Vent fan does stick down inside the trailer, but it's mainly the knob(s) that are lowest. So far Paul hasn't hit his head on them, but he's only five-ten. I'm 5-two so for me the whole thing is plenty tall.

Others here have suggested those 8" wheels/tires for rolling into the garage; lowers the trailer by a couple inches or more.

It IS very hard to make decisions based on only internet advice, but it helps.

We thought about raising the garage door header, but that's not going to happen. It's a YUUUGE project, and our garage isn't big enough to give us any wiggle room at all. We can't even walk around the car to get to the far side, and we sure aren't taking the trailer in and out all the time. So we'll stick with other solutions.

What bothers me most about having the trailer in the driveway is that it's such a barometer of when we're home or gone. So far we've just sort of ignored that issue; it's not a bad neighborhood and our neighbors keep an eye out, for whatever that's worth. Maybe one day we'll figure out another solution...or sell the trailer and give up on this...but not yet.
That and I'd have anxiety during every rainy day thinking if any new leaks have started and I'd be running out there having to check every rivet and seam.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We DO worry about that, and probably WILL be running out there at least every week to make sure it's not leaking...if it is, then back up with the yuuuuuge tarp/tent Paul rigged up this last winter and patching until the leaks are stopped.

At the same time, I think we'll be using the trailer for quiet naps (if cold out, with the ceramic heater running) or a change-of-pace place to have a quiet meal without phones or dogs. It's our little haven in the driveay.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 043.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 045.jpg  

Old 06-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #14

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We DO worry about that, and probably WILL be running out there at least every week to make sure it's not leaking...if it is, then back up with the yuuuuuge tarp/tent Paul rigged up this last winter and patching until the leaks are stopped.

At the same time, I think we'll be using the trailer for quiet naps (if cold out, with the ceramic heater running) or a change-of-pace place to have a quiet meal without phones or dogs. It's our little haven in the driveay.
That's nice, I find myself doing the same thing sometimes. When my kid takes his nap I'll go in there and just eat lunch and watch TV.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #15

New Jersey
I called Scamp and they said the roof vent uses size 56 rivets which translates to 3.5mm wide by 14mm long. Does this seem right? I've been to 2 stores and the rivets are either 3mm or 5mm wide, should I drill bigger holes to make the rivets fit? I was wanting to use screws and nuts since it's cheaper but because of the interior trim around the vent the nuts sticking out would prevent that from being installed.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
They do make a fantastic fan with a flush lid instead of a dome... Or you could do what I did and raise the header on the garage (see photos)and put in a eight foot high door..
Floyd, not to mess up this tread, but do you have a link that has more information about how the front A/C was installed on your Scamp 13 shown in this photo?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp with front Air.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	96967

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote