Thinking about fiberglass RV for retirement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #15

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Hands off Alf's unit guys and gals, in Niagara I told Alf he'd better let me have first dibs on his unit

Norm - You commented on needing to have an easy chair to be comfortable. That's what we were thinking when looking at stick-builts at Toronto RV show last spring, but realize FG units with chairs are few and far between I just figured on getting a very comfortable folding chair for outside - kinda like two Alf has with his

Adrian
-------
Soon to be permanently in MB and have an FG trailer

Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #16

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
oooh I made it, now a senior member with my 100th post! And I don't even have a trailer yet.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Adrian.
I approached Scamp about a layout with two small easy chairs but they showed no interest.

In my opinion, there's not a lot of creativity out there in Fiberglass trailer layout, not there haven't been improvements in trailers not in layout.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I suspect the market for tiny trailers that accommodate small easy chairs is infinitesimal. Especially given that people are growing larger and larger ( in girth anyways ) and there aren't that many people that choose to live full time in a closet.
And, what happens with under bench storage?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A reality, few can see the market for most new approaches. IBM thought there would be a market for maybe 7(?) computers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Interesting thought. Do you think a 20% larger trailer will solve claustriphobia? Nice of you to try.

Hoping the Escape 21 works, if not a small motorhome can definitely solve the problem.
Thanks for your concern, but yes, I think it will solve the problem, or at least I know it will be an improvement, based on the following:

First, since her claustrophobia isn't an all or nothing condition, but more of a progression, based on the degree of "tightness" she feels, any additional space would help.

Second, since you don't include the length of the tongue when you do the calculation for additional living space, it's more like 30% additional space, not 20%. One third more is really quite significant.

Third, since the bed, bathroom, sink, etc. are all about the same size in both trailers, the actual open living space gain is even more than calculations show. This mainly translates into much more counter space and room for a larger table, where you can actually spread things out and have a bit of elbow room, instead of having to put away the pepper whenever you get out the salt - an exaggeration, of course, but not too far from what our little table built for two is actually like.

And finally, all the drawers and large storage areas in the Escape mean that we won't have to keep most of our clothing and other "stuff" in bins that we slide in and out from under our bed. We hope, that instead of rooting through bins looking for things, we will be able to know where specific items are, and not have to disturb other things while locating them. I'm sure that if we spent a lot more time in our little camper, we would become more familiar with where everything is, but we are just occasional campers, and still often have to search for where we placed things. And even when we know where something is, we often have to disturb other things in the process of removing it. All this contributes to the feeling of tightness that my wife sometime suffers from.

As far as a small motor home solving the problem, the one or two that we have been in feel even more confining than our present EggCamper. I'm sure that a slide or two would help open them up, and maybe some designs are more open inside than the ones we've seen, but we don't want to go that route at this time.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
25 BigFoot Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
IMHO: To answer your question, I don't think that anyone will question the statement that the Bigfoot trailers are top of the line. Yes, they are heavier, but they are built for the north and most have dual pane windows and extra heavy insulation packages.

We had the smallest, a 13' Lil Bigfoot and ranked the build quality as head and shoulders above the 13' Scamp we previously owned. Our next move up is to a 17' Bigfoot.

The drawback is that new ones are crazy expensive, and most of the used ones are in Canada and importing isn't always that easy unless it is 25+ years old.

Check the weight, even that f150 may not be to happy pulling a 25' Bigfoot and the economy won't improve that much.

Good place to look is at <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>> Follow both the U.S. & Canadian ads.

I looked on the Bigfoot site and the dry weight for a new 25' BigFoot trailer is about 4400 lbs/ There is one in our real world weight list that topped the scales at about 7800 lbs, a haul for most TV's.

Yes, they are a tad heavier.....
Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Pretty sure if you asked Escape for two easy chairs in place of the front dinning area on their 17 you would have a chance at getting what you want - but as rightly pointed out you would loose a fair amount of storage & the option for having another party sleep in the trailer. Suspect it's about market demand & probable not a big market for less storage & sleeping options. Then there is the resale factor for a small demand layout. Demand is what drives most manufactures to make additional layout options.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #23

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Tim, have you been in a Lil Snoozy? The sofa is very comfortable and the layout makes it feel very roomy.
Dave & Paula
Having fun in a 13'.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #24

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: beemerphile1... Here's the latest pic. of our "Retirement RV". We have ordered a new Escape 5.0 Tandem axle trailer to be picked up in June. Slightly longer/wider/taller than our '07. The truck is a keeper though.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030382.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #25

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
oooh I made it, now a senior member with my 100th post! And I don't even have a trailer yet.
Hi: emers382... Our Escape Hatch will be for sale as soon as we make it back from Florida end of Mar. We have started a build sheet for 2014 Escape Hatch II.
We could deliver it to your place in MB. on the way out to Chilliwack end of May!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Reading all of this reminds me of this cartoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Roger1.gif  
Old 10-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hands off Alf's unit guys and gals, in Niagara I told Alf he'd better let me have first dibs on his unit
You had better send him a cash deposit fast
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #28

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In my opinion truly comfortable sitting doesn't happen until you get to a small fifth wheel or small motorhome. I don't consider dinette seating to be comfortable.
I agree that dinette seating will never be good for lounging around, but it can be improved by two things:
- tipping the seat base up towards the knees;
- arranging the back cushion to give support in the right place.

The diggeram below gives one suggestion that I've found worked on a boat dinette. Fit a (red) lift block all along the front of the seat base and a (green) piece of ply running to the back - if this is 1/4"(6mm) ply it will bend down which if anything is slightly better than straight. Ideally the back cushions should slope as well, but getting the height so that it just supports the middle of back can work too.

Arranging the lift block so that it doesn't slide off the front when you move in the seat is important - then sudden 1-1/2" drop can get you biting your tongue! It's not hard to make this piece completely removable so going back to a flat cushion for sleeping is easy.
Attached Thumbnails
seating_position.jpg