Thinking about fiberglass RV for retirement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
25 BigFoot Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
IMHO: To answer your question, I don't think that anyone will question the statement that the Bigfoot trailers are top of the line. Yes, they are heavier, but they are built for the north and most have dual pane windows and extra heavy insulation packages.

We had the smallest, a 13' Lil Bigfoot and ranked the build quality as head and shoulders above the 13' Scamp we previously owned. Our next move up is to a 17' Bigfoot.

The drawback is that new ones are crazy expensive, and most of the used ones are in Canada and importing isn't always that easy unless it is 25+ years old.

Check the weight, even that f150 may not be to happy pulling a 25' Bigfoot and the economy won't improve that much.

Good place to look is at <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>> Follow both the U.S. & Canadian ads.

I looked on the Bigfoot site and the dry weight for a new 25' BigFoot trailer is about 4400 lbs/ There is one in our real world weight list that topped the scales at about 7800 lbs, a haul for most TV's.

Yes, they are a tad heavier.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Pretty sure if you asked Escape for two easy chairs in place of the front dinning area on their 17 you would have a chance at getting what you want - but as rightly pointed out you would loose a fair amount of storage & the option for having another party sleep in the trailer. Suspect it's about market demand & probable not a big market for less storage & sleeping options. Then there is the resale factor for a small demand layout. Demand is what drives most manufactures to make additional layout options.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Tim, have you been in a Lil Snoozy? The sofa is very comfortable and the layout makes it feel very roomy.
Dave & Paula
Having fun in a 13'.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: beemerphile1... Here's the latest pic. of our "Retirement RV". We have ordered a new Escape 5.0 Tandem axle trailer to be picked up in June. Slightly longer/wider/taller than our '07. The truck is a keeper though.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030382.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
oooh I made it, now a senior member with my 100th post! And I don't even have a trailer yet.
Hi: emers382... Our Escape Hatch will be for sale as soon as we make it back from Florida end of Mar. We have started a build sheet for 2014 Escape Hatch II.
We could deliver it to your place in MB. on the way out to Chilliwack end of May!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Reading all of this reminds me of this cartoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Roger1.gif  
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hands off Alf's unit guys and gals, in Niagara I told Alf he'd better let me have first dibs on his unit
You had better send him a cash deposit fast
Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 AM   #28

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
In my opinion truly comfortable sitting doesn't happen until you get to a small fifth wheel or small motorhome. I don't consider dinette seating to be comfortable.
I agree that dinette seating will never be good for lounging around, but it can be improved by two things:
- tipping the seat base up towards the knees;
- arranging the back cushion to give support in the right place.

The diggeram below gives one suggestion that I've found worked on a boat dinette. Fit a (red) lift block all along the front of the seat base and a (green) piece of ply running to the back - if this is 1/4"(6mm) ply it will bend down which if anything is slightly better than straight. Ideally the back cushions should slope as well, but getting the height so that it just supports the middle of back can work too.

Arranging the lift block so that it doesn't slide off the front when you move in the seat is important - then sudden 1-1/2" drop can get you biting your tongue! It's not hard to make this piece completely removable so going back to a flat cushion for sleeping is easy.
Attached Thumbnails
seating_position.jpg  
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Welcome, Tim! I have a 21ft. Bigfoot. What specifically draws you to fiberglass trailers?

To answer your question, a Bigfoot should be a great choice. I have owned many different types and brands of trailer and Bigfoot quality is excellent. You own an Aliner Sport so you know what it is like to be in a truly small camper (I owned a Chalet so I am famliar with the world of A-frame trailers too). A 21 or 25 foot Bigfoot is significantly bigger (including bigger holding tanks) and more spacious inside than a 19 ft. Scamp or a 17 ft. Casita. It has four season capabilities, so you can take it out pretty much whenever and wherever you feel comfortable. Those are also the reasons why it is significantly heavier than other fiberglass trailers.

I have looked online at 25 footers and I really like the size and open feeling of the 21 RB, so get inside both if you have a chance. Another thought: Bigfoot no longer makes motorhomes but there are used ones out there. I had one of those too (I know, I have a problem. We were just discussing picking up a used 13 ft Scamp as a "spare" trailer) and it was a great traveling RV. Same excellent build quality as the trailers and we frequently camped cozily and comfortably in sub-zero temperatures in it. They made a 24 ft. motorhome.

Whatever you choose, sounds like itwill be an adventure!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Byron, I agree that no matter how big your rig or home is you can fill it, actually often more than fill it.

We had no slide outs in our motorhome but always felt we had adequate space, a walk around bed, the best pull out couch ever, three comfortable chairs and a walk around bed not to mention a full dinette. The storage in side a motorhome is enormous, even room for matched outfits should you choose. The underneath storage cabinets could actually sleep small children and any number of pets.

On top of this every kind of service and lots of it, 100 gallons of water, 100 gallons of black and grey tanks. Easily a week anywhere without thinking.

Ours was a 32 foot Bounder. We paid $35,000 for a 2 year old motorhome with 20,000 miles on it. Winter camping... this was a fully insulated rig with thermopane windows everywhere except the front window. Generally at 32' we could find a spot in most national parks, though it did not like dirt roads.

They are amazing big and expensive at 7-10 mpg. If you have claustrophobia they can't be beat.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #31

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
OP here, thanks for the welcome, the tips, and advice.

After owning many iterations of RVs we have learned a lot about what we like and don't like. On our list of necessities are things like a walk around bed, comfortable seating, and a reasonable size shower.

Our wants are things like larger tanks, floor space, headroom, storage, and quality in appearance and function.

Our toy hauler carries 100 gallons of fresh water, has a built in generator, spacious shower but there isn't a comfortable place to sit and you climb a ladder into bed and then climb over your mate. Unacceptable for long term use.

The Aliner has everything we need for vacations and weekends but lacks floor space, a real toilet/shower, a sitting area, and water/sewage tanks. Unacceptable for long term use.

I know many posters on this site consider a 25' trailer to be huge, but in the RV world it is not considered a large RV. I like the extra width of the Bigfoot and my research shows that most molded trailers are a foot or more narrower.

I agree that a dinette is not a comfortable place to sit. That is why our perfect retirement RV will have a gaucho/loveseat or chairs.

One consideration also is an RV that can be modded for extended drycamping/boondocking. I will be installing solar and an inverter. I will also mod the plumbing and other systems for off grid but comfortable camping. I intend on having a truck with added water and waste tanks for replenishing the RV without having to move it every week.

After replacing rotted wood in more than one conventional RV and a new rubber roof and wood decking on my toy hauler I like the molded fiberglass. I also like the more aerodynamic shape of the molded trailers. It takes x amount of fuel to initiate movement of x amount of weight but after getting underway the aerodynamics play a large role. Most conventional RVs are like dragging a barn door down the road, barn and all.

I am not new at this and have a good idea what we want/need. My research has shown that the Bigfoot is considered a high quality product both before and after the latest bankruptcy/ownership change. Is this true?

Thanks for all your help.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If I was to bring along an "easy chair", I would want it in the "living room", and not in the trailer. It would get more use there, and be a more enjoyable place to be at ease.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
I am not new at this and have a good idea what we want/need. My research has shown that the Bigfoot is considered a high quality product both before and after the latest bankruptcy/ownership change. Is this true?
You do seem to have thought it all out well. Bigfoot is most definitely a quality RV. I had even considered going that way, but the main reason I didn't, was the tow vehicle I would have to have to pull it. I do have a F250 Powerstroke, but I really like the mid sized SUV for easy of running about when not towing, and that constitutes 80% of its mileage.

Who knows what retirement will bring for me though........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Unfortunately the main-line RV business has plagued buyers with the belief that "Size Matters" and, as soon as Joe, down the street, buys a bigger one for his family, Mike has to one-up him with an even bigger RV. I know one one individual who bought three bigger RVs in three years just to not be embarrassed amoung his peers at "The River". BTW: That attitude was stopped dead with his BK filing and the loss of all of his unpaid for toys. That said, most of us hereabouts have maintained our sanity and resisted that need/trend and, as such, 25' is pretty darn big in this pond.

Can't say I have ever heard any bad words about Bigfoot Molded Fiberglass trailers or the very popular slide-in campers, either before or after the BK. There is a Bigfoot owners club on-line that might also be a good place to check in for more specifics on what you are looking for.

Unlike with the earlier BigFoots, that were almost all sold in Canada with a few in the NW and CA, the new Bigfoot owner(s) seem to be setting up more dealerships. There are several in Califrnia who, as the selling season winds down, are currently offering hefty discounts on in-stock rigs.

Goto Craigslist for SFbay area and enter Bigfoot, Ditto for Sacramento and Los Angeles.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
I have only been in one post reopening Bigfoot and the quality seemed similar. I would check in on the Bigfoot owners forum to confirm though. My biggest obstacle to a new one is price. There was a Bigfoot dealer in Colorado so there are used ones in these parts and we found ours (barely) used sitting on a different dealer lot just down the road from us at a heck of a price.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
I am not new at this and have a good idea what we want/need. My research has shown that the Bigfoot is considered a high quality product both before and after the latest bankruptcy/ownership change. Is this true?.
I have not seen a new trailer yet but I have seen a few of the campers built since the bankruptcy - there are/where a popular camper for fishermen and hunters in these parts and lots of folks where upset then they were out of biz for awhile. The price of a used Bigfoot camper took a jump when they stopped production.

The ones I have seen sure appear to be the same quality as prior. They are using the same facility and most of the mangers and employees worked for the original company - if I am not mistaken its now actually owned by a former employees/managers. Only big difference in their biz appears to be a slight name change and that they have gone back to the core roots of truck campers and smaller trailers - no more big motorhomes and trailers.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #37

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Only big difference in their biz appears to be a slight name change and that they have gone back to the core roots of truck campers and smaller trailers - no more big motorhomes and trailers.
Yes, and that reduction in lineup also means building only the moulded fiberglass products (1500 series and 2500 series), not the panel-based body system (3000 series and 4000 series). It also means no motorhomes at all (big or small), so they don't have to deal with motor vehicle chassis.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #38

Registry
Yes Brain as I said back to their core biz roots.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #39
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
First post, I'm new to this forum but definitely not new to RVs. I have owned many and currently own two.

Now we are considering the Bigfoot 25B25FB.
Hey there beemerphile. I recall your many posts from another RV forum. You were one of the good guys!

This is a real friendly forum with some very knowledgeable members. Some with lots of experience and others with engineering backgrounds.

We too are fans of Bigfoots and looked at many before choosing an Airstream. Always keeping a look out for an interesting glass trailer.

"RR"
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #40

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Bigfoot is a nice trailer. To get a walk around bed model, you will need to look at a 25' RB model. (I think the RB 21' has the same layout as a 17' only four feet longer ??)

My folks full-timed in a 28' stick built. They tore out the front dinette and put in two RV recliners (they're built different than home recliners) and used a RV expandable sofa table for dining. Similar to this: Swing-up Coffee Table - Intersource D17-194 - Tables - Camping World
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote