Thinking of getting a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
We vacation in Backus every year with family and just checked out the
Scamps. We have 2 girls (2 years and 3 monnths) and want to get a 16
foot one. Has anyone had any luck negotiating the price lower than
the "package price and 10% off options"?

Any options we must have? We are thinking of the awning and bigger
fridge and getting the bunk bed layout with bathroom.

Hubby and I have camped quite a bit, but saw this as a nice thing so we coule easily pack up and go, not have to make camp while watching 2 little ones and provide shelter if needed.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Rachel,

There have been a slew of used 16's for sale in MN in the last few months. Some have been in very good condition and ready to go camping with tons of extras included. Quite a bit less than new...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck negotiating the price lower than
the "package price and 10% off options"?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but individual price negotiations aren't usually successful from a manufacturer direct operation. Scamp has it's factory output pretty well balanced with the demand for NEW trailers. Like Jack-In-The-Box, they don't make it until you order it, and they don't have a lot of units just sitting there which aren't already spoken for. Once in a blue moon they'll have an order canceled after the trailer is built, but that's rare.
Quote:
Any options we must have? We are thinking of the awning and bigger
fridge and getting the bunk bed layout with bathroom.
I would recommend that if you want to "Boondock", you get the largest fresh and gray water tanks available, especially with up to 4 persons taking showers. Not really necessary if you only stay in campgrounds with hook-ups, though...
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Stop thinking about it and just do it! You won't regret it! As far as options, It's really up to you and how your family likes to camp. If I was buying new, I would basically have every option offered except a micowave and a heater. Neither are must have's for us. Probably wouldn't have a satelite put on either, come to think of it (not sure if thats a Scamp option). Others wouldn't live without those, It's all based on what will make your camping trips more pleasurable! Go ahead and do it...................... Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
My two cents probably aren't even worth that since I haven't had my Casita even a year yet. I looked at the Scamp website just to see what options are offered and it appears that they sell empty eggshells and everything in them is an option! I bought mine used, so never had to worry about it. Looking at their list, this is what I think is important/not important. This is for ME, and maybe to you, with little ones.

I'm glad to have:
A full bathroom--nice in the middle of the night!
Lots of cabinets
Screen door
Large fridge--don't want to deal with a frige AND icebox
Heater--been thankful for it a few times
step

I wish I had:
An awning--trashed a popup--can't seem to figure them out
Larger fresh/gray tanks--we only stay where there are hookups when we're at a rally

Things I don't think are really important:
microwave
TV (television), the Tow Vehicle is important!
dual propane tanks--but only because I've never run out, then it might be important!
air conditioning--yes, we've used it because we had it, but if I NEEDED that much comfort (at my age/health) I should probably stay home!

By the way, if a 5th wheel Scamp is a possibility, consider it--especially if you can find one used! I got to see one at the last rally and I loved it! My son wanted Chuck's Oliver or (in a perfect world) Mike and Lori's Bigfoot, but I wanted the Scamp 5th wheel!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #6

The 5th wheel isn't a possibility. They sure were nice when we looked at them. We are getting closer.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Rachel,

There have been a slew of used 16's for sale in MN in the last few months. Some have been in very good condition and ready to go camping with tons of extras included. Quite a bit less than new...

We've seen a couple but either missed them or they didn't have what we wanted/needed.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
We've seen a couple but either missed them or they didn't have what we wanted/needed.
I think you're answering your own question It doesn't really matter what each one of us likes or needs or wants .... only you. For instance, I don't need an A/C but want the bathroom. You may just have opposite wants. Figure out the budget then find the trailer to fit.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Lynne and I have a Scamp 5th wheel that we've converted to better serve our camper-for-two-and-perhaps-grandkids-someday needs, but here are the things we wouldn't do without in a "family" egg:
  • A small gas/110 electric fridge, sink & 2 burner stove
  • 110v outlets in kitchen, dinette (for electric coffee maker, "cube" heater, electronics stuff when you have hookups)
  • A 12v roof fan
  • Extra 12v lights
  • Battery & 12 converter/charger
  • A "privacy" room with a toilet or porta-pot (I actually prefer the porta-pot; that way I can offer the trailer as a guest bedroom at home without having to haul it off after every visit to empty the black waste tank.)
  • Screen door
  • A furnace
  • Awning
  • Large fresh & gray water tanks
  • Lots of cabinets
  • Step
  • Electric brakes

Nice to have, but not must-haves:
  • Microwave (they're heavy & reduce storage)
  • Hot water heater & water pump (they're heavy & reduce storage)
  • Air conditioner (but only if you plan to do much of your camping with hookups)
  • Receiver for bike rack
  • Exterior outlet

Useless for a family camper:
  • Larger bathroom with shower: It's massive loss of space, especially when you can use campground showers anywhere you have hookups and when you don't have hookups you can't afford to use your precious 20 gallons of water on a shower! (You sponge bathe instead.)
  • Oven. Who wants to bake a cake or a chicken on a family campout? Who wants to lose that much storage?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp