This Casita is dying a slow death... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Texas
This Casita is dying a slow death...

Somebody has taken a Casita and turned it into a permanent residence in Goldfield, Nevada. For shame! It's like tying a dog to a tree. Casitas should be out on the road, seeing interesting sights and meeting fellow travelers.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2203651103.jpg  
CasitaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Maybe it's the solution to a temporary situation. What could be a camper to some may be a home to others. You think this is sad. This could be heaven to a guy in the Oil Patch who doesn't have to sleep in his car trying to keep his home a 1000 miles away because housing in the Patch is so high.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
At least it's dying slowly. With a few decades of moulded fiberglass body lifespan, does it matter if it is stationary for a year or two?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If it is getting used, that is a good thing. How many just use their trailers for camping, and these trailers get to see little use. Ours has been used as a bedroom for company a bunch of times.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The interior and appliances may wear out more quickly, but that means someone will get to refurbish it and bring it back to life.

I got a mental image of someone covering their carpet and furniture in plastic to make them last longer. There are some people who do that in their homes. It has always puzzled me. Stuff is meant to be used and enjoyed.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The reality is that few trailers travel very far in a year. When we were motorhome owners I read the typical owner drove it less than 5000 miles a year.

I'm not too sure about appliances wearing out faster, though truly the case for carpet and cushions. My gut suggests that refrigerators last longer when they're on continuously and I'm almost sure it's the case for batteries. Just a guess from limited experience.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Name: George
Trailer: 16' Scamp SD, TV: Tacoma 4cyl
Northern Wisconsin
At least when they do want to move, it's an easy deal.
George Nagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Well, you pay your money and you get to do what you want with what you bought.

Personally I've always thought that if I found a piece of vacation property in the country that it would make far more economic sense to put a trailer on it rather than construct a cabin. If it made more sense to leave it there rather than tow it back and forth then so be it. I don't think it would be a shame that the trailer didn't get to travel on the highway.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It looks like a fairly new Casita and appears to be well cared for.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I kind of think they are like pets. I could swear that when we looked at units, they were all putting off a vibe of "Pick me!" A well-built camper can have many different lives. I see a lot of stickies from the 70's when they built them to last living out their remaining years with construction workers and getting to travel far more than most of us. Quality of life has to do with being needed and cared for with everything else just being a bonus!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Personally I've always thought that if I found a piece of vacation property in the country that it would make far more economic sense to put a trailer on it rather than construct a cabin. If it made more sense to leave it there rather than tow it back and forth then so be it. I don't think it would be a shame that the trailer didn't get to travel on the highway.
This is exactly what we do with a piece of rec property I own with my two brothers. We have had it for 17 years now, and for the first 13 I bought a 24' bunk model stick trailer, and other than 2 trips with it it stayed out there basically as a cabin. We do have a 'cookhouse' for everyones use, but everyone stays in trailers or tents. Since we sold the sticky, and bought the Escape just over 4 years ago, we now just pull it out whenever we go. I had thought of building a cabin too, but did not want to invest that much money, time and effort when I want to do camping elsewhere too. The 'trailer cabin' idea has worked great for my brothers and me out there. We also have other family and friends that come out and do the same. Last long weekend there were 4 tents and 7 RVs set up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #12

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaRick View Post
Somebody has taken a Casita and turned it into a permanent residence in Goldfield, Nevada. For shame! It's like tying a dog to a tree. Casitas should be out on the road, seeing interesting sights and meeting fellow travelers.
Lol....is this your new setup Rick?!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote