This Isn't Molded Fiberglass But? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This Isn't Molded Fiberglass But?

I was looking at photos and came across this newer unit being produced and at first I thought it might be molded fiberglass because I could just swear that I saw something very similar to that design as a fiberglass molded but an enlargement of the photo proved it to be a sticky but, was there a molded fiberglass that looked like this? 2015 Little Guy Trailers MeerKat Trailer Review - Roaming Times
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This is a remake of an old design. Google "Eriba Puck" to see more. I believe it's built with an aluminum frame and skin and a molded fiberglass top. The originals are popular with the vintage VW van folks.

Not molded fiberglass exactly, but nice!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

Thanks! Yes, that's it. It does look like something that could be accomplished with molded fiberglass though.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that there is only one dealer for the MeerKat, down in San Diego. Has anyone seen an actual unit yet?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Looks to be very roomy for its size. 900 lbs is impressively low weight too. Not molded FG, but it looks enough like one that I doubt it would get kicked out of a rally.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
It's got a nice shape. Bet it would tow nice.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

I was in another forum and no one there had seen one.

I did see that fiberglass rv 4 sale has 2 listed of the Eriba Puck: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale He has a sort of disclaimer that he lists them because of the interest even through they are aluminum or I think that is the material, some kind of metal.

I wasn't able to find what the MeerKat was on the outside but I suspect it is the same as the Little Guy, a kind of laminated fiberglass.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
My poor memory may betray me here, but I believe there are (were) some molded fiberglass trailers with that sort of popup roof. Here's where the poor memory comes in.
There was a European version, from Poland I think, at the Vintage Fiberglass rally in New Brunswick last month. Was it called a Cadet?
And two '70s versions, a Hunter and a Compact Jr.?

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

There are three Hunters, the Junior, the Compact-I and the Compact-II, the latter 2 have an entirely different shell and more amenities. the Campster is similar to the Junior.

Predom built the original Prespol-126 in Poland and, apparently shipped shells to Canada where they were sold in Canada as the Cadet.

Eriba made several other, and larger, trailers than the Puck with pop-up roofs. The Puck, as mentioned, was designed for TUV approval to be towed behind 36-40 hp VW Beetles.

See my link on Eastern European Camping. for a look at a few others in use.

Totalcar Magazine - Features - Camping Eastern Bloc-style

Old 08-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

That Taurus Cadet photo is beautiful!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #11

Yep... Click on the small photos and it goes full screen as well as opens more pics.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Molded fiberglass

There are a lot of stickies using one panel or another of molded material, usually the roof, or front of back bulkheads. I don't know if it is all fiberglass or merely plastic.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #13

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
.... I believe there are (were) some molded fiberglass trailers with that sort of popup roof. ....
And two '70s versions, a Hunter and a Compact Jr.?

Walt
I have a Compact Jr. and it's the Compact II that has a wide pop-up like the one you're looking at. Mine is narrow running down the middle of the ceiling. But good guess! I've admittedly never seen a Compact I and known that I have. I'm trying to think...the Hunter...I've seen that.. is just like mine? Or just like mine with a fiberglassed-in top? I think the latter I saw with the fiberglassed-in popup area was called a Havasu, though.

A family I know bought an old Euriba Puck with great plans, so I got a tour of it when it arrived from the junkyard (or wherever). The father is a big VW fan and collector. I saw him pull the Euriba Puck proudly in one of our small homeowner's association parade, & that's the last I've seen of it. I'll have to ask him about it. Last I saw him a week or two ago he was cruising down my street with a new-to-him vintage VW pickup!
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #14

The Compact I & I have the same top. That's a C-II in my pic, to the left. It's about 2/3 length and about the width of the inside floor space.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Cory, to clarify... Hunter the the name of the manufacturer that made the Compact series of pop-top fiberglass trailers. As Bob said, there are three models: Compact I, Compact II (same wider shell, different features), and the Compact Jr. (different, narrower shell). The Compact I and II have a shorter pop-top that is just over the rear galley area. The Compact Jr. has a longer pop-top that extends into the dinette/bed area.

A different company, Trailswest, made a Campster pop-top trailer, similar to the Compact line. As far as I know, there was no direct connection with the Hunter company.

Great trailers, all!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #16

Name: Jeanie
Trailer: Cloud
Minnesota
Just saw two compact JR s for sale here in minn one for sixteen hundred and other fully equipped for 2200.00 I passed and bought a 1965 Cloud pretty rare and I am in middle of remodel six by ten no bath
Jeaniet is offline   Reply With Quote