this summer's travel: doomed in advance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There are also some options, if you haven't already considered them, that might make her a bit more comfortable riding. Compression knee high socks can ease the swelling and maybe help. There's water pills that a doctor can prescribe that will also hep reduce the swelling. That along might make her more comfortable. Talk to her doctor and see what he suggests.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I know it is hard to cut the strings, but sooner or later it needs to be done. What does the future SIL say about where they will live and which relative will be for #1 for Thanksgiving? Sounds like he is calling the shots? If she can not see the future problems then it is her decision, she is be old enough to handle the consequences. Every parent goes through this!!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Glad to hear that things are moving more into the "flexibility of married folks" stage, Mike!

I hope you can work things out to everyone's satisfaction- which as far as I'm concerned should mean that you get to make the drive out here with your trailer. It sounds like an adventure you'd like to have, and I'm sure that your wife will come to an understanding of that.

You might pass along to her that my husband really likes the solo trips he takes, and that he's often so refreshed when he comes back from his "offleash time" that I can do just about anything I want with him!.

Francesca
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
You might pass along to her that my husband really likes the solo trips he takes, and that he's often so refreshed when he comes back from his "offleash time" that I can do just about anything I want with him!.

Francesca
Please Francesca, this is a family friendly site.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

We've been married almost twenty-five years, and I have to admit that the action I was thinkin' of is more along the lines of chores on the "honey do list" etc....

But thanks for the compliment!

Francesca
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #20

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
One way to look at it...

A wedding is supposed to be a once in a lifetime event. That alone has to put it at top of heap.

It would be a very nice trailer trip. Your wife is a poor traveler.
Those two are your conundrum

Possibly there are things that might make it more comfortable for your wife to travel, which would be a win-win, but bottom line it's Bride first then Mother of Bride. There will be lots of ruffled feelings on the Distaff should that be forgotten!

July is kind of dead center in travel season, but if nothing else, you might think about making plans for another trip that has you home to attend the wedding with your family but still satisfies your need to get out of Dodge. In fact, as things ramp up to fever pitch close to the big day, you may find it advantageous to be elsewhere!

In the long run, IMHO putting the wedding first in your thinking will increase the harmony in your household and may encourage your wife to look more kindly on your need for time in your camper.

Denece, recently MOB

PS. Have you considered traveling shorter daily runs? Extra seat cushioning? Anti-sea-sick bracelets? Ginger for motion sickness? That and a longer lunch break might make it easier for your wife to enjoy camping with you again.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well, clearly you have to do what you have to do when your daughter and wife are the focus. so those plans are set in stone. now,,,that doesn't mean you cant do a trip later,,,or before. its the least you deserve for being a good dad and hubby. i sugjest in september you take a trip to algonac michigan for the second annual algonac fiberglassic egg scramble. happend the weekend after laborday.

meanwhile, take short little one or two night trips and explore your own area. we find lots of interesting little trips to do that way.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I would like nothing better than to take a trip to Michigan in late September to see the fall color (we get mostly brown leaves here), but my work schedule is tied to schools in session, so it's summer or nothing. We do try to drive to Michigan each summer; my wife bears the discomfort because she wants to see her parents. But we have already accepted that there will be no such visit this year. Maybe if I find that golden-egg-laying goose...
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #23

Registry
Wow- sounds like you're a teacher, or at least involved in The Education of Our Little Monsters in one way or another.

Especially since it's something you've always wanted to do, I think you need to make that road trip, and there must be some way to make it happen. Are you to be heavily involved in wedding preparations, or will that be pretty much handled by the women, as in most cases?

If the latter:
They're probably going to want the men out of the way anyway, so why not promote that as a sort of "benefit" of your traveling out solo with the trailer?

Francesca
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #24

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I'm sorry you have difficult decisions to make. Brides can be very self centred it seems (not just your daughter!)

Working around your wife's special needs really complicates things a bit too. I doubt my hubby would have much patience if I set out expectations for travel that didn't tie in with his. I'm sure our decision would be that I would fly and he would have his long holiday. If I didn't want to fly alone I would find someone else going the same way who was willing to keep me commpany.

You'll get it sorted now you are working on options/possibilties/what ifs. Enjoy your camping trip!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #25

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Thanks, all. We are still a long way from July 1st. Anything could happen.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #26

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Mike

FWIW our daughter had a destination wedding in a place we thought would be awful and inconvenient and it turned out absolutely fabulous!

Do what you need to do. Make sure you don't upset She Who Must Be Obeyed and prepare to have a great time

Congrats on marrying off the daughter. Hope your Son-In-Law is half as wonderful as what we got

Best to All

Denece
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #27

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

Sounds like a pretty friendly family to me!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
My daughter's destination wedding was on the shores of Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park. We all loved it!

Closed Thread