Thom and Cari's Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up Thom and Cari's Parkliner

: ) Parkliner 35 has a new home as of October 2015...

I will not state the forum member's name, but rather defer to them to do so if they choose to at some point.

We are very excited that PL 35 is going to a couple that is sooo enthusiastic about owning this little gem.

Thank you to all who communicated their interest and shared their egg-dreams with us over the past couple years we've had her.

============original post & info before sale in October 2015 :

Thank you for stopping by & we hope you enjoy the read and visit.

This will be a thread to document my wife and my build & tweak of our 2013 Parkliner...(Parkliner #35 rolled off the line at about 6pm EST on April 9 2013.)

For any who wish to check out some of our trips we also have a thread called Thom & Cari's Adventure Blog. Below is a recent shot of our Van Conversion and Parkliner on one of those adventures:

Throughout this thread you will come across posts that discuss mods to be completed by the manufacturer. Please note that EVERY necessary tweak/fix has been done to my satisfaction and i would certainly purchase another Parkliner and recommend them to any future Egger.

Please keep a few things in mind as you read through this build thread:

1) I'm just a regular guy...my day job has nothing to do with RV repair or maintenance so anything you see or read in this build thread posted by myself is from a non-professional POV.

2) Please always follow common sense and manufacturer's suggestions.

3) Please leave comments and suggestions!

The rest of this post #1 are my original notes before we received our Parkliner:
Some things to put down first...A BIG THANK YOU to those on this forum that have shared their insights and best-wishes through the trailer-pick process. Thanks ALSO to the to-remain-anonymous-on-pain-of-death Parkliner owner who allowed Cari & I to visit and check out the rig before we ordered. And of course, thank you to Chandler of Parkliner for making such a great product!

OK, on to business...

I am going to list the options and tweaks that will be included in our Parkliner. Let me say that my wife and i both agree that if money was unlimited we would still have ordered THIS trailer, THIS way. So while you might be scratching your head wondering about the "Why" of it all, realize we have reasons, sound, practical ones, for putting together such a rig. It will be an excellent addition to our AWD Chevy Van while camping off grid/road in the Pacific Northwest of the USA.

So here is what Chandler is building for us:

2013 Parkliner 15ft model

From Options listing:

Additional Battery (Optima Blue Tops)
Folding Table + Additional Couch Seating
Screen Door
Keyed Deadbolt Entry Lock
Additional 12VDC receptacle (x2)
_Delete Sani-Pittie
_Delete Microwave & Shelf
(ToBeDetermined**) Fantastic Fan Delete
(ToBeDetermined**) MaxxAir MaxxFan 5100K Purchase/Install

From page 2 of the MSRP sheet:
(Thom's comment: This unit will be utilized primarily off-grid. With that in mind the following requests are presented as discussed with Chandler during a phone call on 1/24/2013).
1) Include sewer hose/housing but do not mount.
2) Run shower plumbing to top of curb side chase and cap. Do Not install shower fixture.
3) Install Pre-Bilge-Pump drain
4) Install 15 gallon fresh water tank on curb side with exterior fill(s) also on curb side.(relocate parts as needed/discussed)
5) Pre-wire for Solar as discussed (10g wire inside street-side chase.)
6) 2 additional 12 volt outlets: 1 near 120v outlet at galley, + 1 near street side wall on front face of forward facing street-side dinette seat.
7) Replace/Credit Fantastic Roof Fan with (PTBD) MaxxAir MaxxFan 5100K deluxe manual opening fan.
8) Sani-Pottie – Delete/Credit. We will use our own pottie and will utilize door/storage area as designed.
9) Microwave – Delete/Credit Microwave & Shelf. Mount existing light below sink area upper cabinet.
10) Replace horizontal slider galley window with window similar in design to bathroom
11) Cushion = Tab Tangerine, Curtains = Canvas Antique Beige

___End of build detail listing.

I have a line on a licensed RV transporter who priced out the delivery from NC to our driveway on the Oregon Coast at $2400. That is a chunk of change but the total cost of rig+delivery is so right that it was an easy decision. ALSO, as stated above, and paraphrased...If we had won the lottery last week we would still have ordered this rig, this way!

I'll add more as i get updates and things come to mind. . . again, thank you all for your words of wisdom and kindness through the process!

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Astoria Oregon
Registry
some further design details and thoughts...

As mentioned in my OP this trailer will be pulled behind our Chevy AWD 1500 Van Conversion. The van is set up for use as a Bed/with storage under, and 1/2 bath. Think of the Van as the "Bed" of our now "Bed & Breakfast" Inn amongst the rivers and mountains of the Pacific Northwest. In the van we have utilized a Froli Sleep System that is an amazing creation yielding the user one of the best platforms for a sound and comfortable night's rest. Under the bed platform is a _basement_ area of ~2'x5'x7' for our camping gear. Bath is a simple and elegant solution my wife came up with that just about any husband/outdoorsman could only dream that their wife came up with!

The Parkliner will be our "Breakfast" of the combo.
It will be like our van, completely self contained. Needing no outside source of power except the sun and some filtered water from a nearby river.

If you are at all familiar with the Parkliner, you know there are options for putting in a propane furnace, propane water heater, and propane/electric fridge. We ordered none of these items because in the past 5 years of trailer camping we've never used them except on the maiden voyage of our prior rig (an A-Liner) to make sure they worked since we paid for them! So how will we get by without them? Read on to find out : )

First, my dearest wife came up with this plan. Personally i'm not sure it would have gone over if i'd stated what i was thinking/hoping in a style of camping. She was raised on a ~300ish acre cattle ranch and is my McGirlver of a Soul Mate.

Heating: Our van conversion has approximately 6ft x 6ft x 13ft of interior room (very close to the Parkliner) and we currently "heat" the space by utilizing a chef-quality Butane stove plus ventilation for safety. It is often utilized during 3 season trips by owners of Sportsmobile vans similar to ours. On a ~40ish degree morning upon rising we can put a kettle of water on the stove and in the ~8 minutes it takes to come to boil the cabin is actually as cozy as a home.

Water Heater & Shower: Again, my McGirlver came up with this solution...as some here might utilize...a gallon garden sprayer with atomizer head (the one they usually come with) and insulating the tank with reflectix bubble foil. Pour one kettle of cold water into tank, then boil a kettle's worth and pour that into tank...comes out to be ~105 degrees...perfect for us. AND with the atomizer head, that gallon of hot water lasts for a soothing five minutes of shower time.

Cooking: See first item on Heating...we use a chef quality stainless steel Butane stove utilized in Sportsmobile vans and similar. Works great! And we usually get about 8 to 9 meals out of one $2 canister. Cheap solution IMO. Packs away in a galley cupboard out of sight and we regain our counter space. Can also use outside on small portable aluminum table.

Air conditioning: You obviously don't camp in the PNW... the average camp temp where we go is ~65-73 degrees from spring to fall. The nice Jalousie windows and roof vents will do the trick without any outside source of power except the sunshine on a solar panel.

I'll post more as it comes to mind.

: ) Thom
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thom, Congradulations on your purchase...Im sure you 2 will be very happy with it! Im dying for camping season myself lol

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
What do you see as the advantage(s) of butane over propane? I'm curious.

Also, what aspects of the Parkliner did you find advantageous for the offroad/off grid camping, vs other brands? Was it just PL's willingness to customize? Or are there other elements?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #5

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Greetings Mike.
IMO The Parkliner is not in and of itself more "Off Road" or "Off Grid" than other FGRVs, but as you hinted at in your post, Parkliner/Chandler was willing to make some simple mods that will allow the unit to go the extra mile for us off grid/unplugged. Our primary reason for choosing the PL was the jalousie windows mated up with a nice clean interior design (basically no wood except doors).

: ) Thom
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OMG Thom, are we going to see this great trailer at the Spring NOG... hope, hope, hope... doing the happy dance

Congratulations!!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #7

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

deryk & Donna...thank you for the kind words. should be fun.

====================
A design thought. When Cari & I saw the Parkliner we were struck with how big it looks on the outside compared to the Scamp and Casita we saw the week before. . . and then it hit us; It is not that the PL is any _bigger_ than the same length Scamp or Casita, but the Anti-Trolly roof makes it appear so. Where on a Scamp or Casita you might see a roof line/edge of say ~7ft then the central trolly peak bringing it up another ~8"...The PL's roof/edge is seen and the full height of ~8ft but hidden is the anti-trolly central trough that is sunk down ~6" or so hiding any roof vent or solar panel from sight. It is a very clean look and doesn't really hit you why until you ponder a bit.

Two images to compare...Casita with typical Trolly Roofline:

A Scamp with Trolly Roofline:

And now compare them with a Parkliner with Anti-Trolly Roofline:

And the Parkliner again from the end, barely noticable is the central trough:

There is an overall height difference outside of ~6" but the _feel_ is still there that the PL is somehow bigger even if overall it is not.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

Name: Cathy
Trailer: in the market (used to own Chalet Alpine)
Virginia
Congrats on your new PARKLINER Thom & Cari!

I visited Chandler & his facility in NC last weekend & was very impressed with his operation & the Parkliner. The Parkliner is very well thought out & very well constructed. Plus, as you noted, Chandler is open to modifications.

Personally, I'm still deciding if its too big for my needs (weekending mostly with occassional week-long outing).
cathluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Congratulations. I hope you will give us a detailed report once your trailer arrives and you get to use it. Like you, we ordered a trailer and had to wait for delivery. I will tell you the anticipation is a little like Christmas when you were a kid. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think you are making a mistake not getting the propane heater,stove,refrigerator, water heater. All of these items can be operated without any electricity and the heater is a lot safer than a portable butane stove used in an automobile, that is what you are using as your bedroom? You may afoul of some local regulations about sleeping in your car. You will have diminished any resale value of the Parkliner.
Traditions are available because they have worked, untraditional approaches somehow disappear. If you keep the factory items, at least you have a choice, removal eliminates that choice. I'd rethink this whole idea of just using your Parkliner as a dining room. Also realize as you grow older and wiser, the bed and bath in the trailer will become a lot more appealing, unless you plan on getting rid of the Parkliner, then you have the resale issue mentioned above.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
It is wonderful to have a trailer made just for you. Why pay for, take up space, and haul around a lot of stuff that is not necessary?

There are those of us out there who don't want stuff. If we aren't concerned about resale then for sure we should have what we want and not what someone else down the road wants. Granted there may be fewer future buyers but I'm sure there must be a few of us minimalists.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well I do agree with Jim, you might be surprised what you will use if you hav it, and yes you can makedo without but sometimes its nice to have it. Their shower idea is nice, and definatly will keep an eye on water useage, you only have whats in the jug... but heat and fridge are handy. My homebuilt trailer I was seriously looking at putting a small fridge in it because dealing with ice for more then a weekend is annoying. Propane is really handy for that.

Now if I was ordering a new ParkLiner I would go with a marine propane heater on the wall with the bathrom door, vented through the roof... minimal electrical draw needed... only thing is the screen door would need to b cut in half widthwise and either bifold style or hinged on either side and opens in the middle. I will do that when my heater dies.

But, to each their own!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I must not know the trick. I don't see how anyone gets these ordered with all their questions answered. Every time I try to call the number or his cell, No answer. I tried one small follow up question with email......no answer.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #14

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

: ) Cathy, Raz, & Nancy...thanks for the warm welcome into the eggClub.

Ken, i am sorry to hear you have been unable to get through to Chandler. I have no idea what i'm doing to make this work. The first time i called i left a message and about 30 minutes Chandler called back and apolagized he had missed my call, stating that the noise in the shop drownds out the office-phone's ring. I don't know about the email contact as I've only sent one email and it did not need a reply (digital copies of my order which i had faxed also). I will say that Chandler is a joy to speak with. His ideas are refreshing!

Best wishes on your research/shopping adventure.
Thom
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
If the quotidien trailer living experience doesn't suit you it doesn't. Wish you good times and good memories with your new rig.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
It is wonderful to have a trailer made just for you. Why pay for, take up space, and haul around a lot of stuff that is not necessary?

There are those of us out there who don't want stuff. If we aren't concerned about resale then for sure we should have what we want and not what someone else down the road wants. Granted there may be fewer future buyers but I'm sure there must be a few of us minimalists.
Nancy
I would agree with you Nancy, but the OP is not a minimalist, they are substituting something else for these items, some of which maybe more harmful or a poor substitute.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #17

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

: )

Jim and deryk, thanks for your insights and concerns.
They are valid points, and most of which, if not all, Cari & I have discussed and came to our decision recalling our last 30 years of camping and ~15 years of _glamping_ (i.e. having an RV). And we _glamp_ nearly every day in 38ft of pure home-on-wheels-luxury Mobile Suite so our purpose built Bed & Breakfast for our minimalistic adventure getaways is a refreshing out-working of our adventurous souls : )

On resale value? You are 100% spot on...
There are not many peeps out there that have a purpose built rig to run on sun/wind/hydro as we plan. Mind you, _those peeps_ are who we DO camp with every spring through fall while gold prospecting. We have run into the same individual(s) and group(s) each season and they are fully self contained off grid. Each with one or more of the various sources of power (sun/wind/hydro/generator/propane). What we've found is they have all made full use of whatever power source they chose (propane and solar being number 1 & 2 choices), and like us, have come to their decision through research and trial/error. And as Nancy noted, there are a few of us minimalists out there that might just go GaGa over rigs such as our IF we decide to sell down the road.

On the Bed (in Van) & Breakfast (Dinning in Egg)...
There is no issue sleeping in our Van Conversion. It is an RV and is looked at as such. We are not _living in a auto_ : ) When we sold our Tacoma/A-Liner combo we specifically had in mind the replacement rigs being greater in interior volume, but still minimalistic/simplistic in design. As mentioned in my OP, the Froli Sleep System in our permenant platform/storage queen bed in the van is amazing. The system is found in million dollar yachts as is arguably the best solution for lightweight sleep-system in an RV. Having a great night's rest in the van/TV also has the advantage and security of being inside a rig that can make lots of noise with horns and such if need be, and simply driving away in the morning if we sleep at a truck/rest stop on the way to a destination spot. We have used the van now for two+ seasons as Bed & Breakfast and now want some more room during the in-camp times rather than setting up a screen room as we have been for the past ~7 camping seasons. Having what essentially amounts to a two room mobile condo has the further advantage of being able to do all OR any of daily living in either rig. As both do have areas to sleep/eat/bathe/relax as desired. That means if one wants an afternoon siesta and the other to read and relax there are two completely private areas. That said, Cari & I are rarely more than a hug away from each other and have been so for most of our 30 year marriage.

On utilizing the Butane inside...
By design, our stove is the same stove utilized table-side at a fancy restaurant or on a cooking show, and inside name brand van conversions or a marine galley. We have boiled water for morning oats and tea/coffee for several seasons utilizing this method. Always with well thought out screened venting and never had an issue. It is simple and it works. Also, we rarely end up somewhere there are uncomfortable temp variations on a given day/trip. The closest we came to asking what-the-heck we'd gotten ourselves into was last June up at Newberry Volcano near Bend Oregon and it had nothing to do with bodily comfort. We set up camp in our typical manner including our kitchen/dinning screen room one afternoon with puffy clouds overhead. The next morning i open up the van (comfortable inside without any heating being utilized) to be taken by surprise at the ground covered in ~3 inches of fresh powder/snowfall ! That means certainly it had gotten to freezing outside over night. Yet upon rising in our unheated well insulated van, we had no idea there was snow on the roof or ground outside. We were comfortable. The screen room had basically skewed itself to one side under the snow load and was a wet mess to fold up and break camp to go to lower elevation. NOW with the addition of an Egg we can stay and enjoy ourselves in most any situation. Nights we never use heating, even in the various stick built homes over the years or now in our Mobile Suite. It can get down to a measured inside temp of ~35 to 40 during winter nights but we are very comfortable in our bed. AND we are no spring chickens! . . we figure sleeping with the cool night's air has made us all the stronger : ) And in the morning it simply takes the action of boiling a kettle of water over a safe-solution to take all chill out of the small area. On other heating solutions we also have a HeatMate alcohol marine stove/heater that we can use, again safely and as designed inside a small vented area. We would LOVE to somehow get a small marine solid fuel heater/stove inside the Egg at some point. Dickinson Marine makes a beauty that can be flush mounted on a bulkhead/wall. Maybe someday! That all said...if we know we are going somewhere like the upcoming NOG and paying for shore power, we will bring a small electric heater and our kitchen electric pot & cooking range. Might as well use what's available knowing it's there in advance.

Bottom line?
Thank you for your insights & comments. All are welcomed.
Who knows : ) time will tell. Either way the world will keep spinning and Cari & I enjoy hearing of each others tales down the road at an Egg-Meet or some River camp in the mountains.

Cheers,
Thom
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #18

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
What do you see as the advantage(s) of butane over propane? I'm curious...
PS. Mike ... i'd not answered the butane/propane Q. I don't know the technical issues. . . just that many of my Expedition Portal and Off-Grid van conversion acquaintances utilize butane stoves inside/outside their rigs (from 1/2 million dollar euro 4x4 motorhomes to sportsmobile vans).
Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #19

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

A Ramble...

Definitions:

Minimalistic/Minimalist:
min·i·mal
a.
Smallest in amount or degree.
b. Small in amount or degree.
c. Only barely adequate.

Simplistic/Simple:
simplistic means 'characterized by a forced, unwarranted simplicity'
simple means 'plain, uncomplicated';

Jim made the comment that "The OP is not a minimalist..." and that got me thinking.

I see us as being "Simple" in our approach to many things in our lives. We do tend to look at a situation and ask if there is a solution that in our opinion is less complicated. With that in mind we have made mods in our living to be _less complicated_ than it was in the past.

Minimalism? Some would say that going from an acre of land and three bedroom farmhouse to a 500 square foot home on wheels is "Minimalistic"...but then you look inside this home on wheels and it is anything but! More like a 5 Star Hotel luxury suite : )

So i really don't know what to label Cari & I but we do like living large in small areas, and we do like simple solutions over complex ones.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
PS. Mike ... i'd not answered the butane/propane Q. I don't know the technical issues. . . just that many of my Expedition Portal and Off-Grid van conversion acquaintances utilize butane stoves inside/outside their rigs (from 1/2 million dollar euro 4x4 motorhomes to sportsmobile vans).

I have a couple one-burner butane stoves that I use for cooking outside. In my experience, it takes half as long to boil a kettle of water on butane as it does inside on the propane. I think it just burns hotter.
Back in my tent trailer days, I used the butane inside instead of the propane so I could get my coffee faster in the morning.

Usually available at Asian markets.

Buy portable gas stove from veryasia.com
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner