Thou Shalt Not Covet My FGRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #21

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
taking off tires is not ok for me...i couldnt do it. i need to go when i need to go. gees. maybe rig and alarm or something...and id tell the cops too...if you have responded and they dont stop...thats harrassment.
It's a different person each time. Taking the wheels off isn't great on my knee. I had surgery a year ago, but it wasn't the worst.
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #22

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I've got double tongue locks on mine..............
but, if it becomes a concern, I will close in my
Snoozy barn and double lock a door...............
I also carry insurance for what it's worth.

But you were right earlier, a determined thief is
a thief that disregards the laws and precautions.
Even if the wheels are missing, they could lift it
with a crane and drive off...........but that's too much
trouble for me............(if I was a thief, that is). lol

Have a restful sleep tonight.........
Wheels are OFF and I will be sleeping just fine tonight. I have one tongue lock...but "they" do say two are better than one!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #23

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
I think you'd be ok with a tongue lock and a cover.
Hmmmm...something I didn't know about...a cover for my tongue lock!
Thanks, Scott. I'll look into that!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #24

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Maybe one of those portable garages to put it in. We have one of those peaked canopies from Northern Tool that we had over our Uhaul while we were wintering in the south, one of those with tarp sides might hide it. Our Uhaul sets in the back yard out of sight, so no problem there. Since Uhaul uses the screw down coupler, the only lock you can put there is the one that is like a ball with a loop above it. One of those wheel lock devices may be good too." Beware of dog" sign might keep people out of your yard, or better yet one of those "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" signs. I would at least go with "keep out" and "not for sale " signs.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #25

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
One of those wheel lock devices may be good too." Beware of dog" sign might keep people out of your yard, or better yet one of those "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again" signs. I would at least go with "keep out" and "not for sale " signs.
Taking the wheels off only took a half hour, because some nameless child borrowed my floor jack.

I'm going to pick up the "not for sale' sign and see if there's one of those "trespassers..." signs. That's got to be my favorite!

My dog likes to be in the trailer, but all day long while I'm at work might be much!

I'm on ebay shopping for the lock cover....I'm really getting to know the UPS guy.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #26

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Ha Vanessa, thats no problem...just give him a price of what it would take for you to sell...$12,000. maybe. Then go forth and buy two more if you can find them.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #27

New York
Did Scott mean a cover for the trailer, at least that's how I took it to mean. But I'm undecided about covering a camper, holding moisture under the cover, mold or mildew possibly. Don't mean to start another discussion on that, just a thought.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
It could be annoying to get unsolicited contacts, but these people don't seem like potential thieves - who leaves their name and phone number in a note, then comes back to steal the thing they were asking about?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #29

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
"Not for Sale"

Last summer I got called by someone in south Alabama. By someone that had contacted Scamp, and found me through them as someone that would let them tour one. The caller woke me up after I got off from working a double, then when I called them back they didn't want to order from Scamp they thought that I was going to "sell mine at a discounted rate" to them and tried to act out on the phone to me. I then had to shut them down.. 1. I live in mine 2. I live on the Tn. River 3. I'm not pressured into doing something easy by someone. That maybe due to what I have done and do for a living.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hope you have your wheels safely locked up.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #31

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have a high carbon, plastic coated orange chain that I put through the wheel and around the axle of every trailer I own. My 36" bolt cutters won't even touch it, a hacksaw will have no teeth before it scratches the chain. An abrasive wheel is the only way.

To do it, don't join the two links with a padlock, as you're relying on the padlock to not rip apart. I had to lightly grind on one end link of each chain, but I can stick one end link through the other, then put the padlock on it. That way it's not trying to open the padlock.

I also put a hitch lock on it. On all the bumper pull trailers, I wrap the safety chains around the tongue and padlock them. Safety chains have been used to drag trailers off before.

At that point, it's easier for them to go steal my neighbors stuff.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I admit if I see something hanging around for awhile just sitting there I have been known to put a note on the door BUT I am not OCD and if I dont hear anything I stop. Of course now I have a garage full of stuff that I will have to get rid of one day. You can buy these for less than 200. I understand how you feel though.
Attached Images

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here is how I lock my UHaul:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3664.JPG  
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #34

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Less than a mile from my house there's a storage facility & convenience store. In the storage lot is a Trillium 4500 that's been there for 2 years & never moved (I see it nearly every day when I pick up grandkids from school).

I watched it for a year & finally asked the 'C' store operator if I could leave a short note on the camper telling the owner I'd be interested in talking price if they ever decide to sell. He said there'd been lots of people wanting to buy the trailer & the owner wasn't interested in selling & NO, I couldn't leave a note .

Trailer is still sitting in the same spot (under cover). I didn't inquire about the monthly cost but at even a few dollars a month they're building up quite an equity in storage fees for a camper that isn't used.

Oh yeah, the Trillium has Florida tags & has been sitting here in Arkansas for 2yrs, one of the reasons I thought it might could be bought...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #35

New York
Harvey, watch for a "Storage Wars" auction on that trailer!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #36

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Did Scott mean a cover for the trailer, at least that's how I took it to mean. But I'm undecided about covering a camper, holding moisture under the cover, mold or mildew possibly. Don't mean to start another discussion on that, just a thought.
Bob, I did cover it after the first couple solicitations. Looked unsightly and wasn't practical for me to keep putting it on...taking it off.......doing the hokey pokey with it...just wasn't what it was all about...for me at least.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #37

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I have a high carbon, plastic coated orange chain that I put through the wheel and around the axle of every trailer I own. My 36" bolt cutters won't even touch it, a hacksaw will have no teeth before it scratches the chain. An abrasive wheel is the only way.

To do it, don't join the two links with a padlock, as you're relying on the padlock to not rip apart. I had to lightly grind on one end link of each chain, but I can stick one end link through the other, then put the padlock on it. That way it's not trying to open the padlock.

I also put a hitch lock on it. On all the bumper pull trailers, I wrap the safety chains around the tongue and padlock them. Safety chains have been used to drag trailers off before.

At that point, it's easier for them to go steal my neighbors stuff.
Wow Jared, I will look for this type of "chain". I appreciate the idea of getting the link through another, as to not "rely" on the padlock.

I've been shopping for boots or wheel clamps. Thanks for another great idea!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #38

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Trailer is still sitting in the same spot (under cover). I didn't inquire about the monthly cost but at even a few dollars a month they're building up quite an equity in storage fees for a camper that isn't used.

Oh yeah, the Trillium has Florida tags & has been sitting here in Arkansas for 2yrs, one of the reasons I thought it might could be bought...
...guesss that's what folks think that drive by during the week. That it's just sitting there and I don't use it on the weekends to get outta Dodge!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #39

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Ha Vanessa, thats no problem...just give him a price of what it would take for you to sell...$12,000. maybe. Then go forth and buy two more if you can find them.

I like the way you think....but even $12k ISN'T enough for me. As you may well have experienced yourself, I'm already attached. I've been taking day trips to the beach, going to Santa Cruz tomorrow. I goof off in there at night. I'm redoing cushions and curtains and spiffing up the joint, as time allows. Right now, she's a priceless and Rockin' little Pearl Jam!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #40

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hope you have your wheels safely locked up.
Yes, they're in the garage...but this morning, I'm going to wash the insides and paint them.