Thou Shalt Not Covet My FGRV - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #41

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
Last summer I got called by someone in south Alabama. By someone that had contacted Scamp, and found me through them as someone that would let them tour one. The caller woke me up after I got off from working a double, then when I called them back they didn't want to order from Scamp they thought that I was going to "sell mine at a discounted rate" to them and tried to act out on the phone to me. I then had to shut them down.. 1. I live in mine 2. I live on the Tn. River 3. I'm not pressured into doing something easy by someone. That maybe due to what I have done and do for a living.
Y'know Darrell, I feel the invasion of the privacy too more than anything else. I also feel the pressure, because it seems like a lot of interest to me in just two months. One guy actually walked around the house to the backyard, and then went across the street to the neighbors, to inquire to them about me and the trailer. They said, "We don't think so...do you see a For Sale Sign?..'cause from right here, We don't see one!" (love my neighbors)

I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with this without being overly paranoid and pressured. I'm a private person, single, mid 50's and not in the physical shape I used to be....but I can still swing a bat...I'd just rather do it on the field!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #42

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
..... That maybe due to what I have done and do for a living.
Oh...Inquiring minds would love to know!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #43

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It could be annoying to get unsolicited contacts, but these people don't seem like potential thieves - who leaves their name and phone number in a note, then comes back to steal the thing they were asking about?
It's NOT the people that are contacting me, that I think are the thieves, however the way my mind works, if there's 7 different people contacting you, via notes or just coming to your door and knocking in two months and they're all Men, You're a middle aged, single female, who works A LOT and live alone....

Who else is looking at your stuff and paying attention to what you do and when you do it?

I'm not trying to be paranoid people, just pragmatic!

Safety is my number one Priority...especially where it concerns me, my family and my schtuff!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #44

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
VP Biden says just go out in the yard and shoot a 12 gauge shotgun.

haha..............Here would come the paddy wagon.

But, I do have a shooting range out back of my place and I have a spot
in my back yard that I can step out side and empty a few clips. I do have
some worrisome neighbors in my community. Meth labs, sex offenders,
and horse traders.....................I just like everyone knowing there are a few
guns in the neighborhood.....LOL.

Mostly there's not much to worry about.................it's that ONE time.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #45

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Consider a home surveillance system that records/live feed. I am considering one since we lost our dog and I don't have a clear view of anyone approaching the house until they are "there at the door."
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I have a surveillance system like that from Wi-Life. I could draw a square around any area(s) and if there were movement it would record and send me a text message. I had to turn the messaging off as even a leaf moving would trigger it. Made great movies by taking hundreds or more of still photos and then stitch them together. That way it took not as much disc space. Had infrared for night vision too. It seems that anymore crooks are emboldened and many end up on YouTube or Americas most wanted. Its like they either don't care OR cant read "this area under video surveillance".
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #47

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvrOlife View Post
...guesss that's what folks think that drive by during the week. That it's just sitting there and I don't use it on the weekends to get outta Dodge!
I also drive by there frequently on weekends. The trailer is parked under a shelter at an odd angle which would be difficult if not impossible to duplicate even intentionally, with boats and/or pop-up campers either side. The other vehicles move or change occasionally but the Trillium has not moved in 2yrs... I had/have no intention of intruding on the owner's privacy. I merely wanted to leave a little 3" 'Post-It' note on the door handle, which they could ignore, file, throw away, or whatever.

I'm pretty sensitive to unwanted intrusion. My little Scamp 13 is parked beside my patio while interior work goes on & I've had several 'visitors' stop & ask about it. Not all are prospective buyers, some are merely curious about such a tiny rig. I'm usually happy to accommodate them. It's when they knock on the door during meals or while we're watching a movie, & fail to 'get' repeated hints that right now isn't a good time, I sometimes become a little impatient Have similar incidents with our teardrop camper, especially when 'on the road'
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #48

Trailer: Casita
Registry
It's interesting reading about all the security measures being taken. Makes me appreciate living in ND all the more.
I've never done anything beyond locking the door.
I got window stickers from FG.com & Casita club in a window of my unit. If someone is that interested they'll look at them & see the classifieds.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #49

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Boy am I glad I live where I do. No vehicles have ever been stolen here (well, someone borrowed a fire truck once, but that's another story) because we live on a small island and anyone trying to flee has to show up at the ferry. So, no trailer locks, all the wheels on, house unlocked, no guns in the house, keys in the vehicles. Life is a lot simpler here.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #50

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Have similar incidents with our teardrop camper, especially when 'on the road'
We can't go anywhere with our teardrop without getting questions and people wanting to look. We actually don't mind at all, learned early on that was to be expected. When camping, people will walk back & forth looking until we invite them in. First rule of owning a teardrop, keep the bed made up because it won't be long before someone wants to look. The standard questions: "what is it, do you sleep in it, can I look at it?"
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #51

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki View Post
Boy am I glad I live where I do. No vehicles have ever been stolen here (well, someone borrowed a fire truck once, but that's another story) because we live on a small island and anyone trying to flee has to show up at the ferry. So, no trailer locks, all the wheels on, house unlocked, no guns in the house, keys in the vehicles. Life is a lot simpler here.
I hope your island is smaller than Kodiak Island! We never did hear if the Scamp referred to in the following Feb. this year post was recovered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
I read the Trooper's report every morning.
Yesterday a 13' Scamp was reported stolen. Now what makes this interesting is that the Trooper's report that I read is for the Alaska State Troopers. And the stolen trailer report was filed in Kodiak.
For those of you who don't know, Kodiak is an Island. It's a costly affair just to get a vehicle there, much less to try to sneak one off of the island.
I'll just guess that it will end up being someone's hunting camp.
Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #52

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
i have a very nosy neighbor that can bug me at times...but now i kinda like that. i have been called to be told someone was too close to my lawn.

walking in your backyard??? that is crazy.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #53

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I have people walk thru my yard all the time but not to look at the camper. They seem to think my yard and creek are part of the park next to us not paying any attention to the private property signs. Some don't even ask if they can fish, they just go ahead.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #54

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
To make it easier for yourself, you may want to pick up a wheel lock like this one here. Make sure you have a lock nut on each wheel.

Best,
Slav
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #55

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
LoJack?

Just curious, has anyone installed a LoJack type device on their RV?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #56

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Utah
Hitch locks just make a determined thief chain the tongue to his TV. Check out the line of wheel locks on the following link then go to Amazon to get one at a decent price (around $60). I use a TCL 65 on my 15" wheels on my Casita.

WHEEL LOCKS - Trimax
Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #57

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Just curious, has anyone installed a LoJack type device on their RV?
No, but I've pointed out in the past that you can use this Garmin device for about $135 plus $1 a week service fee. It can be wired into the trailer battery. I use this on my dog.

Amazon.com: Garmin GTU 10 GPS Tracking Unit: GPS & Navigation
Old 05-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #58

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltenes View Post
Hitch locks just make a determined thief chain the tongue to his TV. Check out the line of wheel locks on the following link then go to Amazon to get one at a decent price (around $60). I use a TCL 65 on my 15" wheels on my Casita.

WHEEL LOCKS - Trimax
I don't see what good that does, unbolt the wheel, stick another one on, and go. I prefer the chain wrapped through the wheel, and axle, that's just long enough to reach itself, nothing else. They're going to get funny looks dragging a two wheels and tires under a trailer (four on the car trailer).
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
May have related this story before. If so, forgive me.

Friends of ours in the neighborhood never lock their house. They went away for the weekend and when they returned they found a DVD player on the entertainment centre. They didn't own a DVD player. Somebody had put it there while they were away and nothing was missing.

They used to leave the car unlocked with the keys sitting on the transmission hump. Did that for years. But then somebody took it for a joy ride. Imagine that.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #60

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you can't get the trailer out of sight and don't want a "not for sale" sign, then how about a bumper sticker visible from the street; "I LOVE MY TRAILER".

Or if you are feeling plucky, maybe a sign that says, "You'd have to pry my trailer out of my cold dead fingers"
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote