Thought for the day - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Not denying that. But, you do have to worry about the money. If you love wood-working, but can't afford to buy wood, if you love fishing, but can't afford to buy a license, etc. etc.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #16

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
We gave our well-paid, high-pressure jobs in 2004, sold our house and moved to a small island. It was after that we discovered FGRV and acquired our Burro and as others have said, no regrets. At 54, I had a decade ahead of good money years with minimal expenses - house paid for, kids through university - so it was a poor financial choice. But the freedom is fabulous, we have learned to adjust to less coming in, and have landed in a wonderful community, both in the real world and online. Had we no made that choice when we did, we would have had none of the wonderful adventures we have enjoyed, nor the ones we are planning. I'm with Norm, unless it means cat food and food stamps to survive, go chase your dreams. In a hundred years, no one will care what choice you make, but in 10 years YOU will care.
That's my view.
cheers
Ian

Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #17

British Columbia
Here's hoping the ferry fares don't trap you on Bowen? Galiano?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
In answer to the time vs. money debate; you can always go get more money.....
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are many people that retire, even though they have adequate resources immediately seek at least part time employment.

They simply haven't figured out how to transform themselves to non-working.

In some cases I've heard wives say 'I don't want him underfoot every day'.

As to planning, our planning began 6 months before we left in to a totally new life style. Beyond beginning our adventure on 9/11/2001, our adventure has been wonderful. Ginny, though not a big embracer of change, has always supported me and my some times foolish dreams.

Life is definitely short. I do not want to die wishing I had done this or that. If I'm lucky enough to out live my resources I want to do it with Ginny having fun.

Safe and happy travels,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #20

Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Over the course of 25 years as journalists, my wife and I worked together often, sometimes with her as boss, sometimes me (unlike our married life, where there is only one boss) so being together constantly is not an issue. That's how we can survive months at a time in a 17-foot Burro.
As for change, we recognize it as a constant, and embrace it. We have lived in five different provinces in a dozen different houses and have no qualms about movin' on. And if we run out of money, we'll sell this place and find somewhere cheaper. I always say that most of what we have is just stuff, and if you have the memories, you don't need the stuff. If you don't have the memories, then the stuff won't help.
Life is short and there's a big world out there.
cheers
OIan
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #21

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Norm you and your Ginny truly inspire me for what is to come for me and my Bride of 26 years. Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian-Vicki View Post
I always say that most of what we have is just stuff, and if you have the memories, you don't need the stuff. If you don't have the memories, then the stuff won't help.
OIan
Lots of wisdom!

I'm 46 in another week and LOVE my job. But would retire in a minute if I had my finances in order and my youngest son out of college. Well he has been there for two years so maybe only 3 more and I can look at 50? It's a goal anyway.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I am not a hard worker, but I don't think I will ever retire. With the internet, the job I do now, I could do from a nicely equipped trailer/office. Tim's WIFI in the morning, Maybe Starbucks WIFI in the afternoon. All I really have to do, at my job, is know the correct answer to technical questions, or be able to find the answer, usually on the internet.
It is the kids that keep us stationary at the moment. The youngest is six, so twelve more years till we have options.
We are planning to leave the kids that remain in the house, (at least two, probably more like four) to pay the bills, and mortgage, while my wife and I drive off into the sun set. I love the internet!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Who can afford Judge Judy?! Have you checked your cable bill lately?
Retiring from a "profession" is one thing,... retiring from building scaffolds, or field repairing heavy equipment outside in the winter, is quite another.
Exposure to another year of paper cuts or the smell of magic markers,does not compare to another year of chemical exposure or 20 below chill factors at 150 feet above the ground on a 2" pipe.
"Early" retirement is a blessing for those who can afford it, but it is a lifesaver to many who would otherwise die early and crippled.

I have had jobs which ranged from professional, to craftsman, to skilled labor.
The blessings in my life have been great and adequate during those years,but knowing when to retire was as great a blessing as the riches which funded it.

The improvements in health and liberty have far outweighed losses in wages, and have helped me to better understand the true meaning of prosperity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How many people do you know who will readily admit a mistake? Of course those who retired early don't regret it.

I retired early, but I got a nice bonus to do so. I don't miss the job and I don't want to go back to work, but watching Judge Judy can wear on you. And, if you didn't worry about the money, watching Judge Judy will be all you can afford.

Early retirement requires planning. Not just the money, but how you will use your time and how you will replace the contribution you made and the value you had as an employee.

I would recommend anyone considering early retirement, or approaching retirement, stop by a library and pick up a couple books on the subject. My daughter gave me "52 ways to wreck your retirement...and how to rescue it" by Tina Di Vito. It is aimed at Canadians. I'm sure there are similar books for U.S. citizens.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
No way could I retire anytime soon (financially). But I feel the same as you all about the future's uncertainties... who knows if I will have any retirement years? That is why I travel now, before retirement. My work schedule is linked to school schedules, so I have summers off.

Some people would try to bank that extra couple thousand dollars per year. I'm using it for gas, trailer payment, campground fees, etc. Because now is when I have the physical well being to enjoy those walks in the woods and wilds, clambering along trails to see new vistas. Later on, who knows?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #25

British Columbia
A balanced view.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 AM   #26

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
I just retired early the first of March. I thought that I couldn't do it but after looking at the numbers, I think that I can make it. I still have a large mortgage and truck payments but I believe that I can do it. If I am a little short at the end of the month, I can always get a part time job. So far the panic has mostly subsided, with just a couple of twinges every now and then. The first three weeks have been like I'm on holidays, it's only now that I'm actually looking at doing things, both around the house and yard. I had decided before I retired that I wanted to try my hand at making some trellises for my garden, so I went out this week and bought a compressor, nail gun and a pressure washer (because everyone should have a pressure washer :-) ). My best friend just had a heart attack on Tues. and didn't make it. Her son died 3 weeks ago. I may not have a lot of money, but after all of this, I'm glad I didn't wait. Life is too short. My girlfriend was only 50 and her son was 32. Marina
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #27

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
No way could I retire anytime soon (financially). But I feel the same as you all about the future's uncertainties... who knows if I will have any retirement years? That is why I travel now, before retirement. My work schedule is linked to school schedules, so I have summers off.

Some people would try to bank that extra couple thousand dollars per year. I'm using it for gas, trailer payment, campground fees, etc. Because now is when I have the physical well being to enjoy those walks in the woods and wilds, clambering along trails to see new vistas. Later on, who knows?
Exactly what we did, when we both taught. What we did when only I taught.

Travel when you can. I regret not doing more travel. For some years, after we bought a boat, we didn't do as much long trips. A lot of going to the lake & camping & boating. With a little fishing.

Could have better used the time & $ on seeing more of our country.

Enjoyed the time with the boat. Kids did. Had to do it again, maybe not have gone that way. Time & Life just slips by as we live it. Ha! Can't get it back.

Jobs Vary. People Vary. If didn't there wouldn't be many places to camp.

I hear people saying they can't travel because the kids are too young or too old. None sense, I say. We started traveling more after the kids came. Kept at it through high school. A little harder in college.

They have been traveling with their kids right from the get go now as well.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #28

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
My question always wanders to the un-escapable issue of covering the costs for a medical emergency. You can always sell your house and get rid of the mortgage payment that way, along with house repairs, taxes, etc. But what is the price of getting med insurance for a 55+ person? I assume that not all early retirees had a job with a lifetime pension and med insurance? My job is high pressure and the urge to walk away from the is so tempting.