Thought for the day - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Some more thoughts and Escapees

For those that are younger and are looking for a model consider the Petersens, the founders of the Escapees. I believe they were in their 40's with children when they packed in the traditional lifestyle for the road. Interestingly Kay Petersen was the driving force. Before the hitting the road she would wrap his lunch sandwiches in road maps as a hint to her desires, humor and persistance.

I believe he was an electrician and she was a nurse. During their adventure they did continue to work. Books on their lives are available on the Escapee site, we read them all before hitting the road.

I admire their path but also know it's not for everyone.

Definitely a mortgage and a truck payment are issues. We eliminated the former by discarding our large home and moved into our smaller, paid for beach house. Still owning the beach house is a financial burden, though smaller, but it does provide Ginny with a vestige of a home base.

As to car payments, we have a relatively low cost, paid for 9 year old Honda CRV. Our plan was the minimum vehicle to tow our trailer. It is our only vehicle.

Medical insurance was an issue when we retired. Our solution was initially to carry Cobra from our previous job for 18 months. After that we bought a catastrophy policy that coverd us against big problems. As it turned out that as we RVed our health improved, simply a reduction in stress, better eating habits and more exercise.

It's certainly not an easy choice because it's a big change. Change requires a measure of courage and a willingness to grow in new ways. To me it was oppurtunity knocking.

Ginny very clearly states it's not for everyone; just as clearly I'll say it works for us. An early poster writes about stuff...initially it's hard to give up stuff from decades of gathering, but at least for us we came to the conclusion that stuff can burden, can become the reason for living. Since we've started we've continually divoriced ourselves from things.

It's been fun to read posters thoughts. Some of you have had jobs that gave you summers off, very wonderful.

I wish you all well and that your dreams become a reality.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #30

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
.......... But what is the price of getting med insurance for a 55+ person? ..........
Once the ACA takes effect next year, you may be able to buy subsidized health insurance based on your taxable income, which can be quite low if you are living off after-tax investments.

Obamacare makes it really easy for millionaires to retire early?

Fellow forum members -This is not a political statement - please don't take it there.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #31

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Regarding health insurance, if one quits working the income goes way down. If assets are not too high, one might qualify for medicaid. Just a thought.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #32

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I retired last July a week after my 65th. Don't expect to meet the old familiar younger you at the door. Do expect to get acquainted with the new unfamliar older you. Good planning makes retirement possible; a healthy sense of the limitations of new beginnings makes it sustainable. Don't cross to Jordan and find you liked it better in Egypt. And Seize the Fish, of course!

jack
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #33

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I retired last July at age 63. I now pay my own medical, extended health and dental. I've had a stent and my wife is a year older ( the Old Bag ) so travel medical insurance is very pricey ( especially to the U.S.A. ).
These are some of the things you have to consider if you are going to retire and "travel".
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #34

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Here's a thought!!! My Dad always said the world was backward. "Weeds grow better than flowers". So why not go to school till you're 20 then retire. Start work at 45 till 70,as pay back, then get a comfy nursing home, on the Nat. Health Plan?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #35

Florida
Glenn,
RVing has resulted in a lot of new Canadian friends.

We had no idea what a problem out of the Canada and even out of province travel limitations Canadian medical insurance contains.

My understanding is that extended out of Canada and even out of Province travel requires the purchase of a supplementary medical insurance policy.

For a pair of our freinds, when they reached 80 travel was well beyond their budget. As well if you have any problems the rates increase.

Wishing you well and you live in a beautiful province with much to see.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #36

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842... The two most hated words in health ins. are "Pre-existing conditions". Once you have them...extended stay Ins. is either very expensive or not available. I'm in the laughable category. They say "You want to go where...for how long"? LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #37

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Early retirement has been fantastic for both of us. I was just a few weeks shy of being age 54 and that was 23 years ago in 1990. My wife had to wait until she was age 55 and that was 19 years ago. Now we're ages 76 and 73 and my wife has Parkinson's disease which is starting to limit her. We are planning on a trip to the west coast from Michigan this summer. Our thinking is that our bodies will at some point prevent us from doing it at all so we'd better do it while we can. Of course, maybe the bodies might be willing but the inclination might not be. As for the cost, our philosophy is if we don't spend it the kids will get it. The kids know this and support it. FWIW, since November we've been to south Carolina and Georgia...back home. Then to Texas and Florida...back home. Just returned home from a week spent going to Callaway Gardens in Georgia (fantastic azaleas in full bloom)...back home. Probably only camping for 2-3 days at a time through April & May. Then on to the Pacific Ocean. This fall? Who knows?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #38

Florida
Bob and Grace,

Wishing you the best possible.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #39

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I've always enjoyed traveling, and luckily, had a job that allowed for it. If our theatre department didn't have a summer program, my wife Carol & I could travel for as long as 2 months. We made 8 cross country trips, often with friends, over the years I was working. Unfortunately, a few years after retiring, my wife became ill & travel became impossible.

I go along with those suggesting finding a way to travel when you can rather than planning for the future. Putting it off until retirement doesn't always work. Now that I'm on my own, I am back to traveling. Retirement allows for travel as long as I want & over the last two years I've spent time in parts of the country that we sped through on previous trips.

As to retirement itself, I do miss teaching, however I don't miss the politics of the department & college, and I now have the opportunity to teach when & what I want. For example, next weekend I'll be teaching a class on Photoshop at our local library. I have not ever felt bored with retirement!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #40

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Retirement is not looking too likely for us. Taking care of aging parent and disabled son requires very short time away from the routine. I have always belived in balancing work and play, so won't feel shorted if retirement never comes. We sneak off for a weekend getaway whenever we can. Sometimes you have to eat dessert first. I would look forward to an extended road trip though, as adventure and seeing new places is a strong lure.
Russ
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #41

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I retired at 56, my wife was to retire the next year,but she passed away instead(flu!). So I started substitute teaching at the local school district. I did that for 6 years, then my daughter needed me(divorce and some major medical issues with my grandson). My trailer doesn't get the usage I had planned, but 'one day', I will hit the road. I have never regretted early retirement-it has given me the time to help family. Last year, I started extending my journeys back and forth between Utah and California-taking longer routes each time. Last month it took a week (what should only take 10 hours), and it was enjoyable.Norm and Ginny-you guys are a breath of fresh air-keep telling us what you are doing-please!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #42

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!
(The best laid schemes of Mice and Men
oft go awry,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!)

~Robert Burns, To a Mouse (Poem, November, 1785)
Scottish national poet (1759 - 1796)

In other words, "No matter how carefully a project is planned, even though we plan to the best of our ability, something may still go wrong."

It implies to some that "No matter how well you plan something, 'stuff' happens." So relax and get over it, it isn't the end of the world.

But it is about his plowing a field and accidentally turning over and ruining the nest of a small field mouse at a time of year when it's impossible for the mouse to rebuild.

In the poem Burns tries to reassure the frightened mouse that he meant no harm and likens the plight of the mouse to his own life of struggle. It is a sad but hauntingly beautiful poem.

The phrase means that whether you are a man or a mouse your plans are subject to outside forces and will be subject to change and disruption.

We often hear the quote as 'the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry'. The poem actually says, "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley.", having been written in Scots rather than English.

When the final stanza is considered, the sentiment expressed is in fact the opposite, thus;

Still thou art blest, compar'd wi' me
The present only toucheth thee:
But, Och! I backward cast my e'e.
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!