Thought for the day - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #61

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only child I like is my own... seriously. And I don't think I was ever a kid

Thank goodness for teachers! Steve, I've held a job most can't do or won't... but, I'd NEVER do your job.
X2 to what Donna says I have 3 DD's and 3 grand kids.I Worked with teenagers almost all my working years. One of my DD's is an 8th grade Reading teacher,one works in a school cafeteria and is a Boy Scout leader. When I worked I Never wanted to be a teacher and admire the ones that are.It takes a special kind of nerve,love and understanding to be a teacher.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #62

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I read a Blog of a Canadian Snowbirding couple (the Bayfield Bunch) from Ontario.

He wrote they can stay out of Canada (Ontario) for 7 months, but can stay in US only 6 months. Different Rules (Health Plan wise) by each Provence, he has said as well. Spend longer away, they can lose benefits.

They own a home in Arizona now. Used to do a lot of Boondocking in RV.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #63

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
OK, I guess my post has been debunked by Norm, but you might want to take a look at this, from OVERVIEW OF TAX CONSIDERATIONS FOR CANADIANS IN THE UNITED STATES

"Generally, a foreign citizen is treated as a non-resident for United States tax purposes, unless he or she meets one of the statutory tests for residency. These tests are: (a) the Lawful Permanent Resident test, and the Substantial Presence Test. The lawful permanent resident test would not apply to Canadians who are in the United States temporarily. However, most Canadians in temporary status would probably meet the Substantial Presence Test, which is based on physical presence in the United States.

A foreign national will meet the Substantial Presence Test if he or she is present in the United States for 31 days in the current year and the sum of the following:

sum of the days present in the United States in the current year,
one-third of the number of days present in the first preceding year,
one sixth of the days present in the second preceding year equals or exceeds 183 days.
There are limited exceptions for foreign government employees and professional athletes. Canadians who regularly visit the United States for business or pleasure and meet the Substantial Presence Test, will be treated as residents for United States tax purposes. However, a "Closer Connection Exception" is available if all of the following apply:

the alien has been present in the United States for less than 183 days in the current year;
the alien has maintained a permanent place of residence in Canada throughout the current year; and
the alien files Form 8840 by the due date, usually June 15th of the following year.
If a Canadian meets the Substantial Presence Test but is ineligible to meet the Closer Connection Exception (i.e. since he or she is present in the United States for more than 183 days in the current year), he or she will be considered to be a resident alien of the United States. Resident aliens are taxed on worldwide income in the same manner as United States citizens."

I guess I would still talk to a tax lawyer. Or Norm,
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #64

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I tell you that, it's no fun being a resident alien.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #65

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
LOL! Darn rules. I wonder what the US charges on Canadian pension income? And, at what level it kicks in?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #66

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Just finished reading the entire posting- interesting thread!Being a resident alien sounds a bit scary at first.

But remembering I am a stranger & pilgrim on this earth seeking a homeland helps put it all in perspective for me. Someone has well said a stranger is someone away from home & a pilgrim is someone who is going home. Soon to be traveling with my bride as the Lord allows!
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #67

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
LOL! Darn rules. I wonder what the US charges on Canadian pension income? And, at what level it kicks in?
LOL for most Canadian's the *way* bigger worry is the loss of their Canadian health care. Most need to return back to their home province in Canada before the six months is up or they loose their health care benefits. Most are far more scared of that prospect than paying Uncle Sam some tax money. In BC it was recently announced though that they are going to add another 30 days away to the current six month limit though which is what Ontario allows.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #68

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's hard to understand why you lose something you worked and paid for.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #69

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The assumption is Norm if you stay out of the Country for more than six months that you are no longer a permanent resident and are paying taxes elsewhere - the government wants to make sure you pay taxes in Canada so you can keep paying for the benefits they provide to those who are permanent residents! ;-)

Its pretty common to loss some benefits to items such as medical and Old Age Security etc in most countries (or at least the ones that offer it) if you spend more than six or seven months out of the country. Leave the country for more than allowed time and you are no longer considered a permanent resident. Its pretty well the same reason why if a Canadian stays in the US for more than six months the US believes you are now a resident of the US so they need to pay taxes in the US.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote