Thoughts & Prays for Members from Fort Mc, Alberta - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thoughts & Prays for Members from Fort Mc, Alberta

We have a number of members here who are from Fort McMurray and many more members who have family and friends there.

The entire town of 80,000 has been evacuated and so far 1600 homes and buildings have been lost to fire and the fire continues to grow. Its looking like they will loose the airport shortly.

My thoughts and prays are with you all and I hope were ever you find yourself taking refuge again tonight that you & your family are safe and you have the strength to get through this devastating event

CNN - Entire Canadian City Forced to Flee Inferno

Those wishing to help these folks out can do so by donating to the Canadian Red Cross Alberta Fires Appeal
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Well said Carol.

My daughter lives in Grande Prairie and is watching the situation closely as they are just as dry. It could be a rough summer in BC I drove 800 kms to Prince George in Feb. and there was no snow pack in the bush anywhere along the drive.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I tried to do a Search for members in the Fort McMurray area.. major fail. I could only grab member in Alberta. No matter... if you are suffering and are evacuated... my heart is with you hoping for the best. TRULY.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #4

Registry
Fort Mc is home to many who work in the oil sands, so it may not show up on their profiles as their primary residents. I have two such family members who both happen to be down here this week to attend a family function.... looks like they will be staying here a little longer ...
Old 05-05-2016, 06:02 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
That fire situation is horrifying if all of the citizens in a remote town need to evacuate. But at least we know the members are likely to have a "bug out" trailer to help shelter them if needed.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Name: Deb
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
We are all watching across Canada. My union is getting ready to make a donation and urge everyone to do the same!
Deborah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
[QUOTE=Carol H;585774]We have a number of members here who are from Fort McMurray and many more members who have family and friends there.

You can use Google Maps to get a bird's eye view of the city, roads, and the Tar Sands operations North of there. AMAZING!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Due to shifting winds, they're getting ready to evacuate two more communities and move evacuees from Fort McMurray further away from the fire.
Alberta fire evacuees moved a 2nd time as weather shifts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #9

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Ottawa announced this morning that they will match donations to the Red Cross.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I got Family and lots of friends up there. Hope there all safe.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #11

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Praying
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Big thumbs up to Suncor, Shell, CNRL and all the other camps/mines that are hosting evacuees.
They took extraordinary steps to shut down, evacuate workers to make room everyone.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Maybe members here could off to "host" evacuees in their driveway if they need some place to go.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P. View Post
Big thumbs up to Suncor, Shell, CNRL and all the other camps/mines that are hosting evacuees.
They took extraordinary steps to shut down, evacuate workers to make room everyone.
Yup, they have stepped in big time, donating truck loads of goods to evacuation shelters & checking on the whereabouts of all their employees - even those who are currently off work on leave time.

Also a big thumbs up to West Jet who has 10-11 jets flying since yesterday morning taking out those who are now trapped in the North. They were all told to go North when the evacuations started.... but now they find themselves in the path of the fire once again with no way out.

To but this situation into perspective, Fort McMurray is not a large city but its not a real small one lane town either - population of between 60,000 and 80,000 people. There is a fluctuation in population due to the number of people who work & live in the area during the week but have their principle residents elsewhere in the Canada - many from the Edmonton and Calgary regions, as well as BC and the Maritimes. Due to the nature of the main employment in the area, many of the families who have lost everything are young families.

CTV News - has some pretty amazing video that people took while they were trying to evacuate their homes - traffic grid lock with the fire burning beside them.

This story is far from over. This morning one of the fire officials stated that there is NOTHING that will stop this fire that continues to growing at a very alarming rate..... except rain and that is not in the forecast.

Thoughts and prays continue to go out to those in the area and those who have had family impacted by it.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
I got Family and lots of friends up there. Hope there all safe.
Chester, Facebook set up a Safety Check in area for all those in the Fort McMurray area that with a click it posted that they were safe.

If you are on Facebook click the above link and it will show you if any of your Facebook friends or family (you need to be their friend on Facebook for it to work) have indicated they are safe.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Chester, Facebook set up a Safety Check in area for all those in the Fort McMurray area that with a click it posted that they were safe.

If you are on Facebook click the above link and it will show you if any of your Facebook friends or family (you need to be their friend on Facebook for it to work) have indicated they are safe.
Thank You for info.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
But at least we know the members are likely to have a "bug out" trailer to help shelter them if needed.
Sadly if they lived in town its not likely that many of them had the time needed to hook up the trailer...
Old 05-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #18

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Incredibly devastating fire....the television coverage highlighting the kindness and generosity of strangers is overwhelming.

The people of Fort McMurray are going thru our worst nightmare.

It shows us all how life can change in an instant due to natural disasters.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #19

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I've been following this story in our local paper. It must be devastating for those forced to leave so suddenly. I also fear that we will be looking at another really scary wildfire season here in the Western part of North America.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
My son is in Ft St John, BC and had a fire a couple of weeks ago come near the town but it was controlled. My sister in law's
oldest daughter and family got out of Fort Mac and are now safe in Edmonton. It's looking like a bad year for fires in Western Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV