Thoughts on Benefits of Long Range RVing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #15

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
The wife and I feel the same way. When we go camping we take hikes and before we go to bed we walk around the park. We also eat better while camping.
Marky

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #16

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
Norm AKA honda03842

You are a very wise man.. every time I find one of your post I learn something.
Thank you.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carl,

Very good point, it is about change of life style versus diet. The whole RV travel thing for us was a massive change of life style. In a sense almost a divorice from our past, an acceptance of an opportunity to grow and change.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #18

Florida
Thelma

We're at The Resort, an Escapee park in Florida for a few weeks. Ginny was talking with an Escapee full timer in the pool today (86F). They have been on the road for 14 years. She said they can not imagine stopping their travels. As a result they have not put their name on a spot at one of the Escapee parks for the time they can no longer travel.

I said to Ginny "Do they plan to pull a Thelma and Louise?". Ginny said funny you said that. The woman said they've talked about pulling a Thelma and Louise but the husband could not decide whether he would be Thelma or Louise. Definitely hope and do assume she was kidding.

It does attest to the power of the road. She clearly stated that 14 years full time was not enough time to see it all.

When we put our name on the list we were 370, we are now 13 with at least 5 spots available. It means that there's a high probability we'll have a spot this year. Of course we're excited but it doesn't mean we'll stop our travels. They'll just rent out our site while we travel.

I've read a lot of seafaring books and one always reads about the call of the sea. I think the road is in the same arena.

Safe travels....One of the best parts about being an Escapee is talking to people about their travels and all the must see spots we've not yet seen.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #19

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Greetings Norm & all :-)

Posts have been enjoyable to read. Two things i wanted to chime in on were about the family visits & calorie intake.

On the family visits Cari & i raised our kids with the idea that as they aged there might be times of very limited family contact and not to let separation take away the fact of our bond and love for each other. We also raised them to not put any value on/need of "holidays" (even though we raised them in a Christan home).

On calorie intake... I have been practicing a reduced calorie intake of about 800 to 1000 calories per day (~500 cal main meal/1st meal at ~noon) primarily following a paleo diet before i even knew what that meant! I am content and satisfied with simple eating and full of energy.

Just some tid bits in passing :-)
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #20

Florida
Thom,
Wishing you well on the Paeleo. Virtually every study shows reduced diets to be beneficial.

Holidays. Ginny loves Thanksgiving so we make it a moveable feast, having it when ever it's convenient. Any time is a good time to gather and be thankful.

We have not measured our caloric intake except breakfast, around 200, but eat dramatically less when traveling and we may eat more often, sharing an orange or banana in the middle of the morning.

Spreading out the eating seems to make it easier to reduce the quantity and is less aggressive on the bodies systems compared to the concentrated eating of the business world cycle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
North Carolina
Registry
I think that there is a big difference between long journeys and a short weekend (or week) getaway - different mindset for sure.

We spent September on the road in our truck camper and both lost weight, slept better, etc - all the stuff you said. We also cooked every dinner at the campsite, ate out every once in a while for breakfast or lunch.

Also hear you about stress. Once upon a time, I had a big important job with lots of stress. So much that I was clenching my jaw / grinding my teeth away at night. My Dentist wanted to fit me with a mouth guard to stop me from damaging my teeth further - but I thought a better solution was to get rid of the source of the stress.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #22

Florida
I agree that there is a significant difference between weekend camping and long term travel. In a sense weekend camping is like vacationing when working. Weekend camping means a high percentage for your time is spent getting ready, traveling,

Of course it's fun but it's not a true opportunity to adopt new ways.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Another thing, unplanned, that contributes to weight loss and to a less healthy diet is to have damaged senses of smell and taste. I can't smell much anymore and anything like perfume is awful to me. Worse is the taste issue. I can no longer bear the taste of strawberries, blueberries, oranges, grapefruit, bananas, and other things. This came on about 3 years ago and I've lost 30 pounds. Of course, loss of my wife, also has contributed to the weight loss.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #24

Florida
Bob, Sorry to read that your senses of smell and taste have been damaged. Of course secondary to the loss of a your partner. Wishing you an improving world.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
vin