Thoughts on Retirement - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #29

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
papa-t - Sorry my daughter and son-in-law live in HOPE Mills, not Hole mills, and I thought I had double checked what I wrote. Hopefully we'll get over to your mountain part of the state on another trip down.

Norm and Ginny - I envy your lifestyle (really enjoyed your NF saga), I don't think we can afford to travel quite as much as you, but always likely having family in the US will have lots of chances to visit and at least when with them the campground is free!

Adrian

Old 07-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Adrian, Everyone has their own financial situations and has to make there own choices. Some need a new 21 foot Escape to travel and others can travel in a used 13 foot Scamp. The difference in price could be a year of travel.

I really don't know a lot about camping across Canada though we've been all over but in Newfoundland you can camp for free all over the place or seniors can stay in their wonderful provincial parks for $9-14 a night. (It cost me more than that to open the door of my house each day.)

In the United States their are plenty of parks where you can camp for $10 a night or less, Byron on this site averages $7.50 a night.

Just wanting you to know what's possible. Good luck selling your house.

I think the most difficult part is not the cost but rather changing one's view of life. This is hard for many if not most and certainly makes the lifestyle not for everyone... and that's OK.

Thanks for liking our Newfoundland travels, we can't wait to get back. This week we got a little taste of Newfoundland when ScouterDave stopped by for dinner. Dave arranged the Newfoundland rally this year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #31

Florida
Papa-T,
After Adrian commented about your avatar I looked at it. Are you a 'panner'? Do you do it in the eastern USA?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #32

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Norm & Ginny - Great you have made such good friends with ScouterDave - When we get to NF - which we shall eventually - after PEI - we haven't even get there yet, I hope to look up ScouterDave.

Good point about about wanting a new Escape 21 vs a used 13 Scamp. We were originally thinking 19 or 5.0 Escape but now looking at the 17b, (maybe even used if one comes up at the right time) then we could get an efficient TV, since we'll be doing a lot of driving with the tow and with the price of gas going up don't need a bigger SUV or pick up. I didn't realize until you said gas in Cda over $5 a gallon - that it's that much - the litre kind of fools you. Going to look at Rick's new 2013 Escape 2.0l Ecoboost at the MB rally next month. Maybe we'll have a "double escape."

Adrian
Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #33

Florida
I've written about this before but... originally we bought a small trailer just for a two month trip to Labrador thinking we'd never survive in such a small space having spent the previous 7 years in a motorhome.

We used to laugh about learning syncronized rolling over in our 44" wide bed, our motorhome had a walkaround queen. The reality is it was not a problem. These days we feel lonesome in our home queen, getting together like 2 magnets in our queen when home.

The two month Labrador trip turned into a 8 additional month loop of the USA. We found that travel was not about space and things but about Ginny and I and our travels.

Maybe we're so tired at night from the fun of our travels or just feel so good, but we sleep really well in our stressless Scamp.

That's our experience. Of course not everyone would feel that way.

We hope to get back to Newfoundland next year to the Norris Pt music festival and ScouterDave.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I retired from an engineering position on an early buy-out at age 48 at a significantly reduced annuity, of course. During my "desk years" I often dreamed about farming, big combines, etc. While that wasn't practical in my situation we were sitting on several acres of good land and had two teens still in school. So with my buy-out I bought a small Kubota with the necessary implements and began "market gardening".

The business was very successful and the kids earned their college money (and more) plus learned a healthy work ethic, but were not interested in a agricultural career. Now more than 20 years have passed and we still market garden at a reduced level and enjoy the life style. However health problems are now beginning to curtail our activities and we've downsized significantly.

When we look back at when I made the decision to accept an early retirement, it was the best choice in every way.

Even though full-time RVing was never more than a passing interest for us, we spend two to three months of the late winter/early spring most years in the sunny southwest in our Scamp. The Scamp provides facilities for sleeping, cooking, toilet lounging, etc. I've upgraded the range to a stainless steel Force 10, the porta-potty to an Airhead composting toilet and replaced the noisy furnace with a Dickenson Newport propane fireplace plus added a catalytic heater to the bathroom door.

The one area we haven't addressed is bathing. We use campground or truck stop showers with sponge baths in between often supplementing with disposable body wipes.

So retirement has opened up the ability to engage in a limited way, a dream occupation and to be free to travel inexpensively as much as we want in our Scamp. I highly recommend it!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #35

Florida
Loren,

Refreshing post.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #36

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
My "Thoughts on Retirement"... after the day I had today... it can't happen SOON enough
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #37

Name: Murphy
Trailer: Scamp 16' Delux
Washington
Retirement

My wife and I both retired in Oct 2009 from 30+ years with the Postal Service. I love retirement because of all the things I can do and the things I dont have to do.

I was president of a Union and had to deal with grievances and discipline so often that now whenever someone suggests I should say get on our HOA board, I laugh and say no thanks. I like being the nice retired guy down the street that has no enemies.

It drives me crazy to hear people moan about having nothing to do after retirement. I dont have enough time to read all the books I want or do everything I want to do (although I will try)!

We feel blessed that we dont have to work until we drop.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #38

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...When I was in a manufacturing plant of one corporation, there were a lot of old guys who started working there since they were +18 years old or so. During my time there, a few guys took early retirement and most stayed and worked passed 30 years...with a lot of overtimes...Years had passed, the plant was gone (outsourced to Mexico). Thru contacts, I found out those who stayed passed 30 years, most deceased, some not even collect their first pension checks...JUST A FACT.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #39

Florida
Murphy,

I agree filling time is not a problem. Life is so short compared to all there is to know and see. There is so much of interest, so much to challenge one, retirement is opportunity for extension.

One could spend a lifetime in a Yellowstone or Death Valley and learn something everyday.

Happy days Murphy.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #40

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
...When I was in a manufacturing plant of one corporation, there were a lot of old guys who started working there since they were +18 years old or so. During my time there, a few guys took early retirement and most stayed and worked passed 30 years...with a lot of overtimes...Years had passed, the plant was gone (outsourced to Mexico). Thru contacts, I found out those who stayed passed 30 years, most deceased, some not even collect their first pension checks...JUST A FACT.
That is a FACT Randy,
I've seen so many try to squeeze in every bit of time they could
towards there retirement and when the day came, they died before
they could collect. One reason I determined if it were possible I
would retire early. Circumstances in my life forced me into retirement
so it's all worked out.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #41

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I retired in 1990, wife in 1994. She had 19 years of retirement before she passed away. No regrets on the early get out even though working longer would have provided more income both before and after retiring. As it is, we (I) spend what we (I) want and will probably still have some left for the kids even though that is NOT a goal.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #42

Florida
When we began our retirement some 13 years ago we had no pension or medical benefits. We spent a lot simply on medical catastrophe insurance but it was definitely worth it. As to money I actually don't care if we are still alive and dirt poor, The earlier years are definitely, to me, more valuable than the later years. Barring a national failure we should be on the road for the next 10 years whe we'll be 80. If we can manage 23 years on the road for 7.5 months per year I can be poor with a smile on my mouth. I expect my Scamp will be doing better than me by than.

I don't know how to express the amount of fun we have had. In some sense it's like being 12 on summer vacation. Now Ginny always whispers in my ear that it's not for everyone. I know but we do love it.

Also there are no financial guarantees. When we started this adventure gas was about a $1 a gallon and now about $3.70.

Safe and joyful travel to all that chose the life

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16