Thoughts on Retirement - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #61

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Norm,

Remember decades ago, when "brain waves" were the latest discovery? Alpha waves were supposed to be relaxing, beta waves were the normal everyday ones, and I seem to remember that it was Delta waves that were recorded when one was in an unfamiliar environment, like when exploring or on vacation somewhere new. Delta waves were also supposed to be creative and stimulating, in a good way. I wonder if some of the health benefits you notice from your travels have to do also with the constant stimulation, not just the exercise.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #62

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Leonard,
I once went to hear Buckminstr Fuller speak. I recall him say that free time allows a different kind of thinking. I believe this to be true.

In the work a day world there's often a problem/survival thinking that goes beyond your 8 hour day and permeates your every moment. This becomes more significant the more your responsibilities increase. That's why, at least in a sense, why it's hard to compare the hourly wages of those at the top and bottom of the pay scale.

Retired from 'the race' I am definitely free to think on another plane, to think about all kinds of different things that never fit in to my pre-RV life. This freedom is like walking thru a pine forest, the needles feel good under foot, the air is refreshing... all this freedom is relaxing to your brain...like childhood where you're on your back in the field doing cloud shape recognition..

Another part of being on the road and it's a part that keeps many couples from going or at least enjoying it to it's fullest, is the leaving involvement in extended family and it's problems behind. You stop trying to bfe the fixer/rescuer, something that we generally fail at.

Except for true emergency situations I've come to recognize I can't fix anyone. Leaving this burden is freeing for me and in some measure can allow people, or maybe require, people to fix their own issues.

I once hired a guy from Iowa and moved him to CT. His entire family was in Iowa. He loved them dearly but quickly came to recognize it was freeing for him. Now he could choose when to go home versus the at least weekly duties of local family. (I know this paragraph will get me in trouble but it's worth consideration.)

Leonard I think there's a mental health freedom afforded by the rv lifestyle. Being concious of the possibility in a way allows it to be. Divoricing yourself from your past (not your life partner) can be freeing.

It certainly has added to my physicsl health as much as improved eating habits and exercise have helped us.

Many retired people go back to work in one way or another because they can not free themselves.

I hope this wasn't too strange. RVing for me has been a rebirth of sorts, a new shadow life walking among familiar places at time.... but free to see those clouds anew.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #63

Florida
Constant stimulation

I think there is a road stimulation because we are often in new places but the reality is that no matter where you are you can be blind to it because you're overwhelmed by the everyday.

When my son played baseball I asked him how come he was hitting so well. He said "Dad the ball almost stops over the plate when I'm hitting well."

I think we're so distracted that our senses are being shared. I noticed once in a car accident how everything slowed down, like it was happening in slow motion. On the road I am freer to think anew.

Early on we had walked a section of OR coast many times. An man knocked on my car window and said "Have any of these?" These were agates. He told us they were on the beach. I had not seem them but once my mind was aware, in a sense freed to see anew they became obvious. The stimulation, the wonder is there. Sometimes you need to give yourself a chance and let the ball stop over the plate.

To sleep 8 hours back from a marvelous wedding in Ithaca

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #64

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I retired three & a half years ago working for the last company for 30.6 years.
My goal is to collect the pension for the next 30.6 years its doable.

Being free of commitment / obligations is wonderful !!!!!!!!

I spend two months in spring at home base then two months with the trailer back to home base for two months then two months in the trailer then off to Mexico for four months in winter.
I call it a balanced life.

I read more books in two months than all of my work life love the e reader.

Most of the time I don't know or care what day or month it is.
I've never been happier .
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #65

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
And to try to tie Daniel and Norm's last couple of posts together, I'll throw this in. Back in my days of working, mostly I read fiction novels. It was a nice diversion from thinking about work, as I was one of those that Norm describes, in that I brought a lot of my work responsible problems home with me. It was so bad, in my sleep, I dreamed about work and the issues there. So again, reading fiction helped me relax, but it did little to stimulate any learning for me.

Fast fwd to the last three years since retirement, I still do read fiction, but I have balanced it with a lot of non fiction as well. I am finally getting around to reading about some events of history that I have always wondered about, but just never picked the books up. For me, this kind of reading is stimulating to the thought processes, which I believe helps tremendously in keeping us sharp.

I too love being able to read books as electronic. I have a fairly good size, and growing library on the iPad. Being lightweight and compact, and able to easily read it day or night, indoors or outdoors....wow...what's not to like ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #66

Florida
Ginny and I each have a Nook, smart phone and computer/tablet for reading. We share a single Nook account. I find that I read on smartphone more often because I always have the phone with me.

When I worked I only read non-fiction, now I read both.

Interestingly I 've even started writing a couple of books for no other reason than the fun of it. I find trying to write makes your mind wander thru a series of possibilities taking you on unexplored paths.

When I mentioned 'rebirth' I should have maybe said new opportunity.

When ever we leave our NH home for the road I feel an associated freedom.

Musing again safe travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16