Thrift Stores - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Never by nothing new you can find just as good new.

Living and working in the Oil Patch but home is still Iowa.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #16
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984

Finally, at a Good Will store (the 5th one). There it was, no, not a glass lid, but a 14 inch heavy glass plate for a microwave oven, the kind that spins around after you set your dish upon it. $2bucks.

Have not yet gotten up the nerve to drill a hole for a knob, yet.[/QUOTE]

See if you can find a diamond drill bit. I have used one to good advantage on glass and porcelain.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
I raised my daughter that the only difference between new and used was one washing. And it was better to save the big bucks for items needed for quality, like jewelry and shoes.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have to tell on myself, and I think this is pretty funny anyway. Last night my daughter and I stopped by the strip shopping center with the "first" Thrift Store I mentioned in my opening post. The one where I bought the new Coleman stove. Well, it seems they closed and moved up the road, to the place I bought the other stuff at last Sunday! It was actually the same store just moved. I had to laugh at myself about that one. Here I thought I had a "new" place to mine for hidden treasure.

I have lost a lot of interest in Goodwill the last few years. In my personal opinion they have become a for profit business thinly disguised as a not-for-profit and I don't like their business practices, at least not in my local area. I do like a few other genuine charity Thrift Stores though, the Salvation Army and Lighthouse Children's Home come to mind.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I also LOVE Thirft shops. When I camp with a group of girlfriends we often spend at least one day of our trip finding local Thrift Stores. Never know what you might find that you just have to have. LOL

I to have noticed that the private shops are pretty pricy these days as well. The ones run by charities are were you find the good stuff One of the benefits of living next door to the postal code with the highest income in the country is the amazing stuff people donate to charities. Pretty clear a lot gifts they received but did not need go straight to the local charity thrift shop. Picked up for the trailer a special blender for making Margaritas still in the box for $10 this summer and a digital photo frame still with the plastic wrap on the box for $5. Half the small appliances for sale are newer & better than what I have in my own kitchen!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #20
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I hardly ever find anything useful but I probably don't look often enough. When I go I'm looking for something specific and then it is hard to find. And sometimes prices are unreasonably high around here. But my friend comes up, goes clothes shopping, and for a few dollars buys her year's supply of jeans.
Of course, since I'm working hard at downsizing I've been a donor, not a buyer, for the last couple of years! Not much in the way of camping stuff, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We used it and our Dahon for a week with the intention of donating it back when we left. Instead we found a nice 10 year old girl at the campground who needed a bike and gave it to her when we left.
Now that was a good donation and that girl will remember for years to come. I'd betcha you may have started a "Pay it forward".
Life is Good
When "Escaping Reality" Sold 5/2016
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
For camping, the long discontinued Rubbermaid plates, bowls and mugs are one of my favorite thrift store finds. Then too, genuine copper bottom stainless Revereware has been nice too... their coffee percolator is hard to beat and the smaller skillets work so very well on a camp stove or the burners in my little Burro. Yep, thrift stores make camping with style in reach for the (thoughtful) masses!

Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #23
Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
20 years ago, we bought a set of patio chairs and a lounge chair for the family lake cabin. They were on clearance at Kmart, and there was no table to match. They're still in great condition, and we wished we had more.
Recently, my niece was packing for a move to South America, and needed lots of luggage. We went to the thrift store and there was the matching glass-top picnic table plus 4 more chairs, like new and all for $70. My sister still laughs at me for calling to ask whether to get them or not.
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #24
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Thrift Stores are about the only place to find the good quality small tea kettles that are perfect of RV use. If they still look usable after a few years use, they are usually pretty good quality. I always check for them.

In smaller local charity shops, don't be afraid to make an offer if you think the price is to high. Money in the till is always better than stock on the floor.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
Commercial Member
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Originally Posted by Myron Leski View Post
I have a five dollar WallyWorld wok in my trailer. It's rim spans near 14 inches -we use it as our big all-purpose pot. Been searching for a few months but have not found a glass lid for the thing... oh sure, unless you are willing to spend $60+ for one.

Finally, at a Good Will store (the 5th one). There it was, no, not a glass lid, but a 14 inch heavy glass plate for a microwave oven, the kind that spins around after you set your dish upon it. $2bucks.

Have not yet gotten up the nerve to drill a hole for a knob, yet.
I paid a glass shop $5 to drill a 3/8th hole in a decorative glass jar to make a lamp. Easy for them using diamond drill bits.....

Charlie Y
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design:
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 AM   #26
Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Scamp 16'
South Carolina
Hey, Myron....what about high heat epoxy in stead of drilling in that lid?

I grew up on thrift stores. My paternal grandmother called them Jot 'em Down Stores. I loved Saturdays with her browsing the town's thrift stores. I particularly remember as a teen in the late 60's a Saks 5th Ave Cashmere jacket and a beautiful wool skirt that was long enough I remade it into a mini skirt and vest.

When we first married a lot of our kitchen drainer, rolling pin, etc came from the local thrift store in Oxnard.

My daughter shops them all the time for kid's school clothes and now days they're often brand new as the major stores have hopped on the wagon unloading last season's new clothes. It's win-win for everybunny.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #27
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Macklemore has a song about this.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #28
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
I love thrift stores! Our house has many an item in it that came form a thrift store. I pretty much outfitted our trailer when we first got it with stuff from the thrift store - pots and pans, dishes, silverware, etc. The trick is to not go looking for anything specific but to keep your eyes open for things that might be useful to you. On our travels, we often stop in at thrift stores along the way just to see what we might find.

Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote