Thrift Stores - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Thrift Stores

I love thrift stores, a lot. We have a couple of new ones that have opened up in the last few months nearby. They seem to be "for profit" businesses not run by charities. I still go by the ones run by the charities but to be honest these others seem to have better stuff. I suspect they are buying out estates but don't know anything for sure. Anyway, a couple of weeks back I bought a brand new Coleman propane stove at one of them for $20 + tax. Brand new as in I cut the factory applied tape and looked it over before I bought it.

Tonight at the other one I bought a nice induction ready stainless fry pan (they called it a chaffing dish, I don't know) with stainless handle and glass lid (I wanted one I could start on the stove and put in the oven), a railroad spike, a largish cold chisel, a hand skeet thrower, a single edge razor blade scraper, a MAC brand smallish band-type oil filter wrench, and a really nice 1 7/8" trailer ball (for my Scamp of course) all for $9.60 tax included. I did not really "need" any of it but it is always nice to get a bargain!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

Name: steve
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Registry
nice! yep, I've been addicted to thrift store shopping all my life. fun and exciting what you might find!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We love thrift stores too!
They are great when traveling you can get something you need while on the trip, then donate it back so you don't have to carry it home.
We were once on a trip and needed a bicycle, the campground rented them for $7 per hour. Instead we went to GoodWill and bought a really nice 24" girl's bike for $7. We used it and our Dahon for a week with the intention of donating it back when we left. Instead we found a nice 10 year old girl at the campground who needed a bike and gave it to her when we left.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I thrift store a lot...amazing how often I buy new clothes with original tags on them for cheap... cast iron stuff, candles etc... and like new books off of amazon for reasonable amount less. lots of bargain's out there if you know how to look!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good move Floyd, paying it forward.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have mentioned before my five kids. Without thrift stores, we would have been hooped. My kids brag about how little they pay for something, not how much.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #7

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
One of the local ones to me sells rope by the pound I got 8 winch lines for my Jeeps and 4wheeler for about $25-35 instead of over 200. They even had factory fluids for my 4wheeler cheap.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Cooking gear, small appliances, and lots of other good stuff at Goodwill. We don't have many thrift stores around here, a few consignment stores which tend to be higher end goods.

There is a tool store that sells used tools from estate sales. If you don't mind digging you can end up with a decent spare set of decent quality basic tools to leave in the trailer at less cost than cheap junk tools.

Classy move with the bike Floyd.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I go to thrift stores for books & shirts. I got tired of purchasing new shirts that looked OK in the store, but after the first wash became so wrinkled that they were unwearable (I don't believe in ironing!). At the thrift store you can see how they will look after a number of washings.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have noticed that some Goodwill stores have modest prices, others seem to think if it is old it must be an antique. Seem to have a problem with the difference between worn silver plate and sterling silver or brass and gold plate. Used upper priced label clothing and just used clothing. I'm looking for a used work shirt I'm not gonna pay big bucks because of the brand.

Still do find a lot of good deals there. Just some stuff that I have no idea who would pay the asking price. But then there is senior discount day :-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I'm a fan of Harris Tweed jackets that would normally cost 300 to 400 bucks (or more) and I often get them for anywhere from $10-20 at Goodwill. I bought a beuatiful cashmere jacket a few months ago for $10 or $15. It is amazing to me.

About a month ago I stopped at a flea market by the side of the a major road near where we live. Mostly this woman had out women's cloths, but I asked her if she had any men's wool jackets. She pulls out a couple insulated wool jackets out of a cardboard box (perfect fit), one a dark gray, the other a brown herringbone, I'm wondering if I really need more jackets, and she offers them both to me for $15! Off I go to the dry cleaner and for less than 50 bucks, I now have two beautiful wool winter jackets.

Of course, now I am starting to wonder what I'm going to do with all these clothes I have when we take off traveling in our little trailer...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Of course, now I am starting to wonder what I'm going to do with all these clothes I have when we take off traveling in our little trailer..
Ah there's the rub. My wife will go to the thrift store, only spend $100 and come back with a bunch of cloths for her, the kids, and me. The problem is, where do they all go? I gotta get better at throwing stuff out.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #13

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Great place for camp kitchen stuff....

Most thrift shops are going to have electric griddles, electric tea kettles, electric frying pans, hot plates, cast iron frying pans.

I found a very nice dorm-size fridge last summer for about $25 that works great in my Compact Jr.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #14

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I have a five dollar WallyWorld wok in my trailer. It's rim spans near 14 inches -we use it as our big all-purpose pot. Been searching for a few months but have not found a glass lid for the thing... oh sure, unless you are willing to spend $60+ for one.

Finally, at a Good Will store (the 5th one). There it was, no, not a glass lid, but a 14 inch heavy glass plate for a microwave oven, the kind that spins around after you set your dish upon it. $2bucks.

Have not yet gotten up the nerve to drill a hole for a knob, yet.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #15

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Never by nothing new you can find just as good new.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
[

Finally, at a Good Will store (the 5th one). There it was, no, not a glass lid, but a 14 inch heavy glass plate for a microwave oven, the kind that spins around after you set your dish upon it. $2bucks.

Have not yet gotten up the nerve to drill a hole for a knob, yet.[/QUOTE]

See if you can find a diamond drill bit. I have used one to good advantage on glass and porcelain.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I raised my daughter that the only difference between new and used was one washing. And it was better to save the big bucks for items needed for quality, like jewelry and shoes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #18

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have to tell on myself, and I think this is pretty funny anyway. Last night my daughter and I stopped by the strip shopping center with the "first" Thrift Store I mentioned in my opening post. The one where I bought the new Coleman stove. Well, it seems they closed and moved up the road, to the place I bought the other stuff at last Sunday! It was actually the same store just moved. I had to laugh at myself about that one. Here I thought I had a "new" place to mine for hidden treasure.

I have lost a lot of interest in Goodwill the last few years. In my personal opinion they have become a for profit business thinly disguised as a not-for-profit and I don't like their business practices, at least not in my local area. I do like a few other genuine charity Thrift Stores though, the Salvation Army and Lighthouse Children's Home come to mind.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I also LOVE Thirft shops. When I camp with a group of girlfriends we often spend at least one day of our trip finding local Thrift Stores. Never know what you might find that you just have to have. LOL

I to have noticed that the private shops are pretty pricy these days as well. The ones run by charities are were you find the good stuff One of the benefits of living next door to the postal code with the highest income in the country is the amazing stuff people donate to charities. Pretty clear a lot gifts they received but did not need go straight to the local charity thrift shop. Picked up for the trailer a special blender for making Margaritas still in the box for $10 this summer and a digital photo frame still with the plastic wrap on the box for $5. Half the small appliances for sale are newer & better than what I have in my own kitchen!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I hardly ever find anything useful but I probably don't look often enough. When I go I'm looking for something specific and then it is hard to find. And sometimes prices are unreasonably high around here. But my friend comes up, goes clothes shopping, and for a few dollars buys her year's supply of jeans.
Of course, since I'm working hard at downsizing I've been a donor, not a buyer, for the last couple of years! Not much in the way of camping stuff, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote