Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericpa3 View Post
Has anyone been ticketed under 65 mph on I-5 while towing in California.
No.

I think the last time 55 mph was enforced was during the Nixon administration. There aren't enough CHP officers to enforce the 55 mph speed limit for vehicles that are towing, and everybody seems to know it and take advantage of it. We've become a country of scofflaws.

I tow at 55 mph. Everywhere. Even on I-20 in West Texas. I stay in the far right lane and nobody has any trouble getting around me.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #16

Name: Rob
Trailer: New 1973 Compact II
California
Hi Frederick, I agree completely with staying in the far right (#1) lane. The only ticket I've gotten in California was for towing (needed to pass all those slow trucks) in the #3 lane. Turns out impatience is not considered a virtue by the CHP.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Fortunately for safety sake there is no law that says you actually have to go that fast .... I asked a state trooper about that this summer
Carol, some states do have a posted minimum speed limit on interstates.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Carol, some states do have a posted minimum speed limit on interstates.
That may be the case on some interstates Greg but my personal experience has been that not many do. I looked into it last year as I was surprised that many did not have any signs posted in regards to max truck speed etc. Found it a bit strange that they actually expected some of the big trucks and someone towing to do 75 or 80 mph safely. Think if you check you will find that most of the states with the high MPH ratings actually have some legislation in place that in the fine print covers safe speed based on driving conditions as well as they type of vehicle and towing. Or at least that's what I found when I looked into it on line and asked a trooper about it. I looked into it as we do have a law here that says if you go x so many kph under the speed limit you can be ticketed and worried that while traveling on a roads with a posted speed of 75 mph and if I only did 60 I might be ticketed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #19

Indiana
Carol, I think 60 mph is acceptable but 45 mph is a slow rolling road hazard. Driving according to conditions is common sense, you wouldn't drive 75 mph in freezing rain unless you were in Atlanta, Ga. ( I've seen that ). I was just saying that you shouldn't be doing 45 mph on a west Texas interstate, the end result could be deadly.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Or on our local "Sea to Sky highway" that is now better known as the "Sea to Death Highway" as a result of people not slowing down due to the driving/weather conditions.

Agree doing 45 on a 75 mph is not good!!! I actually get a little frustrated myself when I stay in the far right lane on an interstate and come up on folks who are going IMHO *way* to slow, forcing me out to a faster lane to pass. Have been heard to mutter a few choose words in those situations.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #21

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I take my trailer to Fla. From Va. each winter. From Richmond to Jacksonville you might as well be in west Texas, flat non obstructed driving, the posted speed is 70 MPH but the flow of traffic is much faster. I usually tow at the speed limit but with gas prices being what they are I decided to drive slower this year to save gas. I found 65 MPH to be the best speed without getting run over. A lot of road tractors are governed at 65 MPH and you can go with the flow of those vehicles. I got about 1.5 MPG improvement by reducing my speed by just 5 MPH.
BTW: If you travel this I-95 gas prices in NC and Fla. are $.10-.20 higher than the other states.
Eddie
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #22

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
we travel between new brunswick and florida annually and have found that eddie is 100% correct---the flow of traffic is much faster than the posted limits. however, our choice is to maintain speeds around 60 mph with much better mpg.
we stay to the right and have yet to have anyone hassle or honk or make other gestures (you know!) to intimate that we need to speed up.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #23

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
80 MPH pulling a trailer.....DEATH WISH! The idea of staying between two Big Rigs is good. Did that recently coming home from Quartzsite, AZ to S. Cal on Interstate 10. I have been pulling our trailer for only a few yrs and have never seen an RV pulled over by CHP or local enforcement. Have only seen them at accident sites, unfortunetly. Drive the posted limit and we will all get to our campgrounds safe and sound.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Needed To Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Hi Frederick, I agree completely with staying in the far right (#1) lane. The only ticket I've gotten in California was for towing (needed to pass all those slow trucks) in the #3 lane. Turns out impatience is not considered a virtue by the CHP.
Were you driving an Emergency Vehicle at the time ?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #25

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Hi Frederick, I agree completely with staying in the far right (#1) lane. The only ticket I've gotten in California was for towing ... in the #3 lane.
Actually, the official freeway lane numbering system in California starts at the median and works outward. That makes the "Fast Lane" the #1 lane and the far right lane the #4 (on a standard 4-lane system). Additional lanes are called "axillary" (in high congestion zones) or "transitional" (at junction entrance and exit) lanes. Vehicles while towing (that are limited to 55 mph) are restricted by law to lanes #3 & #4 because they need to allow faster vehicles to pass in lanes #1 & #2.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The rare times I'm on a freeway I always set my cruise control on 60mph and keep it there until the terrain causes me to lower it. I drive in the 1st or 2nd far right hand lanes. There is so much traffic traveling at extremely high rates of speed that the CHP isn't interested in little old trailers unless you might be calling attention to yourself by being wreckless. Now, they might pull you over for going too slow which makes you a hazard. That Uhaul might have problem going 45mph on our highways.

There are several stretches of I-5 where I will not tow my trailer in the furthest right lane. That would be going north up the Gravevine and then just south of Sacramento. In those areas there are between 3 & 5 traffic lanes, so I settle into the 2nd from the right lane at my 60mph. The "slow lane" has been torn up so badly by semi's that the concrete highway is terribly rough and has huge pot holes. I've had CHP go around me on either side and never look at me.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #27

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Actually you can receive a speeding ticket at 15MPH if the conditions warrant a slower speed (IE: dense fog, iced road). California has a over riding speed law that is safe speed for conditions.

As far as states with minimum speed limit on Interstates, I have seen several with state wide limits and more with limits in certain, metro or mountain areas. Most are 45MPH, only a couple are 50MPH and one was 55MPH.

Most areas however don't bother you if you are driving with the flow of traffic and not erratically (weaving through traffic, cutting people off, etc.)

Jason
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #28

Indiana
I hope you guys keep all of those rules in California, the rest of don't want any California rules.