Ticket while towing on I-5 in California? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Ticket while towing on I-5 in California?

Just returned from a 2000+ mile trip from Salem Oregon to southern California. I noticed I-5 speed limit in California for trailers is 55 mph. In Oregon it's 65 mph, just like cars. Lots of highway patrol cars passed me while I was going 62 in california. I was never stopped. Seemed to me that they cared more about over 65 mph drivers. Has anyone been ticketed under 65 mph on I-5 while towing in California.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
California is financially broke, They need the money and speeders are an easy buck.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My UHaul instructions say to never tow above 45 mph. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
traffic revenue

Last summer on a 20 mile stretch of I 94 in Wisconsin I counted 11 vehicles pulled over by law enforcement (Highway Patrol , County Sheriff , Local Police) NOT one of these 11 vehicles had Wisconsin plates ! Maybe it was just a coincidence ? All the states need money not just California. I just set my cruise at 2 miles under the speed limit and hope for the best
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
As long time trailer towers in Cal I will say I have only seen a CHP pull over a travel trailer once and they were doing about 70. I hear that down by Glamis they are more strict because of all the overweight toy haulers. We usually run between 55-65 depending on conditions. Now that I have said that next time we are cruising at 65 we will get pulled over.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

Indiana
I hope for safety sake you never make it to west Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph and 70 and 75 on the two lane hwy's.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Here's the trick to avoid a ticket in CA-get yourself between 2 semi's and maintain their speed(which is always above the 55 limit!).

Watch out if your ever take the gorge thru Arizona between UTah and Nevada. I have seen as many as 6 patrol cars in that 15 mile stretch-pulling everyone over!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #8

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
My UHaul instructions say to never tow above 45 mph. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I have always woundered about that.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I hope for safety sake you never make it to west Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph and 70 and 75 on the two lane hwy's.
Fortunately for safety sake there is no law that says you actually have to go that fast .... I asked a state trooper about that this summer
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
But if you can, why wouldn't you?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Driving at 80 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
But if you can, why wouldn't you?
Because I don't want too! I realize as I got older that my response time is not the same as it was when I was 20 .I have never felt comfortable driving 80 MPH and especially now at my age. I would rather take a little longer to get to my destination than driving with white knuckles and endangering my family as well as yours. You are welcome to drive at whatever MPH you desire just be careful when you pass me I 'll be doing 60 MPH. I know my limitations!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #12

Registry
LOL Dave this summer I was on a two lane road that in our neck of the woods would have had no more than a 50 km on it - windy along a lake - posted speed limit 75 mph. Funny thing was I was clearly not the only one not doing that & not while towing to boot. I stopped for gas and one of the locals told me it was the states (Montana) way of saving money they only have to make and put up one side - no one has to keep track of what the different speed limits are in different areas -saves paper work he said! We had a good laugh.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Texas Farm Road

We've driven on two lane,paved Texas Farm Roads that were posted at 70 MPH, not that one would ever be stopped because you hardly ever see a trooper or police officer on them. I don't believe there are any roads in NH posted at 70 MPH, even Interstates.

I guess it's simply that people have to cover large distances in Texas, there's little traffic and it works for them.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #14

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I travel that section between UT and NV frequently. It is a dangerous stretch of road. I'm thankful for the patrolling. If I ever have car trouble, it's nice assurance that help is not far away.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericpa3 View Post
Has anyone been ticketed under 65 mph on I-5 while towing in California.
No.

I think the last time 55 mph was enforced was during the Nixon administration. There aren't enough CHP officers to enforce the 55 mph speed limit for vehicles that are towing, and everybody seems to know it and take advantage of it. We've become a country of scofflaws.

I tow at 55 mph. Everywhere. Even on I-20 in West Texas. I stay in the far right lane and nobody has any trouble getting around me.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #16

Name: Rob
Trailer: New 1973 Compact II
California
Hi Frederick, I agree completely with staying in the far right (#1) lane. The only ticket I've gotten in California was for towing (needed to pass all those slow trucks) in the #3 lane. Turns out impatience is not considered a virtue by the CHP.
Rob V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #17

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Fortunately for safety sake there is no law that says you actually have to go that fast .... I asked a state trooper about that this summer
Carol, some states do have a posted minimum speed limit on interstates.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Carol, some states do have a posted minimum speed limit on interstates.
That may be the case on some interstates Greg but my personal experience has been that not many do. I looked into it last year as I was surprised that many did not have any signs posted in regards to max truck speed etc. Found it a bit strange that they actually expected some of the big trucks and someone towing to do 75 or 80 mph safely. Think if you check you will find that most of the states with the high MPH ratings actually have some legislation in place that in the fine print covers safe speed based on driving conditions as well as they type of vehicle and towing. Or at least that's what I found when I looked into it on line and asked a trooper about it. I looked into it as we do have a law here that says if you go x so many kph under the speed limit you can be ticketed and worried that while traveling on a roads with a posted speed of 75 mph and if I only did 60 I might be ticketed.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #19

Indiana
Carol, I think 60 mph is acceptable but 45 mph is a slow rolling road hazard. Driving according to conditions is common sense, you wouldn't drive 75 mph in freezing rain unless you were in Atlanta, Ga. ( I've seen that ). I was just saying that you shouldn't be doing 45 mph on a west Texas interstate, the end result could be deadly.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #20

Registry
Or on our local "Sea to Sky highway" that is now better known as the "Sea to Death Highway" as a result of people not slowing down due to the driving/weather conditions.

Agree doing 45 on a 75 mph is not good!!! I actually get a little frustrated myself when I stay in the far right lane on an interstate and come up on folks who are going IMHO *way* to slow, forcing me out to a faster lane to pass. Have been heard to mutter a few choose words in those situations.