Time needed to set up camp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #15

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Texas
Registry
We entertained the idea of getting a tent trailer/pop up trailer for a VERY short amount of time. I don't see too much benefit from going from tent camping to a tent trailer. It seems like too much time would be spent setting up and tearing down.

But it's looking like we can benefit from an egg trailer.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
If I am only staying a short time about 15 min. - level and pull out the awning (if only staying one night I dont even do that) and connect power and water (if there is any) and put out the chair and sit down - oh forgot need to turn on the propane fire pit..... on the other hand if I am staying a number of days - It might take longer - about 45 min. as I will pull out the outside rug, hang the little lights on the awning, put up and outside table for the BQ and one for eating - if its cold and windy I might put the pop up tent to put the fire pit under...... pretty sure I forgot something ......oh yea my little flag stand signs need to be put out as well.... :-))

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
We entertained the idea of getting a tent trailer/pop up trailer for a VERY short amount of time. I don't see too much benefit from going from tent camping to a tent trailer. It seems like too much time would be spent setting up and tearing down.

But it's looking like we can benefit from an egg trailer.
We've watched a lot of people struggling with a tent trailer. The winds came where were in Big Bend NP. Some folks in tent trailer left their awing out. A couple of us went over and took it before it was destroyed. We notice that the top of trailer was moving around a lot. Next morning we talked to the owner, he thanked us for taking down his awning then told us that him and his wife slept in the tow vehicle after closing down the tent trailer.

Another thing about a hard sided trailer, we have no problems or concerns about staying in rest areas, truck stops, and Wal-Mart Parking lots. The trailer looks the same whether we're inside or not or towing.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #18

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Hi! Have always wondered if it's ok to put a propane firepit under an awning or in a screen room? Dont have one yet so concerned if there is enough heat coming off the fire to damage the roof? Does it matter which firepit you buy and should the screen room roof (or trailer awning) be a certain height to keep from getting dangerously hot?

Thanks!

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If I am only staying a short time about 15 min. - level and pull out the awning (if only staying one night I dont even do that) and connect power and water (if there is any) and put out the chair and sit down - oh forgot need to turn on the propane fire pit..... on the other hand if I am staying a number of days - It might take longer - about 45 min. as I will pull out the outside rug, hang the little lights on the awning, put up and outside table for the BQ and one for eating - if its cold and windy I might put the pop up tent to put the fire pit under...... pretty sure I forgot something ......oh yea my little flag stand signs need to be put out as well.... :-))
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
If you can put your hand over the fire, between the awning and the fire and not burn your skin it's not a problem.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #20

Florida
Thanks, Byron! That's an easy one to remember!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #21

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
30 minutes or less if just unhooking & leveling, poppong a cork on bottle of wine.
All depends on whether you want to "Power Camp" or not. "Power Camping" is hauling everything that adds to creature comforts, whatever that may be. HA! I carry chairs & stools inside the camper so longer time when setting up outdoor living space.Tarp or EZ up canopy, rug, chairs, little kitchen table, coleman stove, propane bottles, chair table, flag, firewood, vintage tablecloth, flower vase and Gotta cut flowers, extra cooler, coleman blender, etc. 15 minutes to an hour for "Power Camping"
Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #22

Name: Katey
Trailer: 13' Deluxe Scamp
Minnesota
I often go camping alone and I'm not a very "handy" gal, so I'm really happy to say that from the time I actually get backed up into my camp site (which I can't lie, sometimes takes about 10 attempts) it only takes me about 30 minutes to be all set up. This includes unhitching my scamp, plug in and block the tires than taking out the chairs to set up by the fire.... DONE. I LOVE IT!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #23

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Gotta add extra time if your camper is a leaker! Mine is, and I know I am not alone here. So if you think it may rain, Time to do what ya gotta do....
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Assuming I'll be staying at the campsite for several days ...

If I'm traveling solo and using a hook-up ... about 20-30 minutes once I have placed the trailer in the "right" spot. If I have to break out the blocks to level the trailer from side to side that will add to the 30 minutes. Otherwise, set up is time is devoted to checking out the campsite's electricity with my surge protector; de-hooking & leveling off the trailer; hooking up the H2O and sewage system; lighting up the hot water heater. Organizing the cabin, making the bed, and setting out my patio "carpet" rounds out my preparation.

If I'm dry camping ... about 20 minutes. That 20 minutes is devoted to leveling the trailer, transferring the refrigerator to propane, and setting up the cabin and outside area.

Tina, I'm got to add that I am fairly inefficient when it comes to set up. But traveling with an Egg makes it so very easy ...

Reading the other posts, I don't uncork wine ... need to add that to my "arrival check list".
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Depends... did I leave home STRESSED? Or did I quietly get out of town? And, that depends on traffic too. When I arrive... do I absolutely need to unpack, or was the trailer packed well? (I really dislike a bunch of totes and boxes and bags of stuff). I hope I'm organized well enough there's not a lot to do.. level, hook up the power (water and everything else is "nice to have" but can wait until I relax.) I'm leaving for the NOG and I'm STRESSED. That lawn chair is looking mighty good right now.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #26

Florida
Dumb question, after nearly 4 yrs on this site, (wow, been that long and still dont have an egg....something is wrong with that, lol), anyway what on earth does NOG stand for? I've always guessed Northern Oregon Gathering. Is that correct?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #27

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink It all depends on what the meaning of 'camp' is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
I am curious, how long does it take you all to set up 'camp' when you arrive at your destination?
If we are boondocking in a windy area, and not putting out the awning, then 20 minutes or so...

If we are staying in a full hook-up site for more than 2 days, then we have to connect all the utilities:
  • 30 amp power
  • fresh water (white hose)
  • Sewer hose
  • Cable TV
If it's calm enough for the awning to be unfurled, we put out the awning and the patio mat, scan the TV channels to match the cable hook-up , code-in access to the Wifi signal...
That adds another 20 or 30 minutes.

After that, if I really set up " C A M P "...

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1094.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	45410 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1098.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	45411

Name:	000_1110.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	45412

Name:	000_1226.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	45413 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1228.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	45414

It may be up to another 45 minutes before I can serve the wine.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #28

Florida
Love it Frederick! Looks so inviting!