Time needed to set up camp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #21

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
30 minutes or less if just unhooking & leveling, poppong a cork on bottle of wine.
All depends on whether you want to "Power Camp" or not. "Power Camping" is hauling everything that adds to creature comforts, whatever that may be. HA! I carry chairs & stools inside the camper so longer time when setting up outdoor living space.Tarp or EZ up canopy, rug, chairs, little kitchen table, coleman stove, propane bottles, chair table, flag, firewood, vintage tablecloth, flower vase and Gotta cut flowers, extra cooler, coleman blender, etc. 15 minutes to an hour for "Power Camping"
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #22

Name: Katey
Trailer: 13' Deluxe Scamp
Minnesota
I often go camping alone and I'm not a very "handy" gal, so I'm really happy to say that from the time I actually get backed up into my camp site (which I can't lie, sometimes takes about 10 attempts) it only takes me about 30 minutes to be all set up. This includes unhitching my scamp, plug in and block the tires than taking out the chairs to set up by the fire.... DONE. I LOVE IT!
Kltschida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #23

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Gotta add extra time if your camper is a leaker! Mine is, and I know I am not alone here. So if you think it may rain, Time to do what ya gotta do....
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Assuming I'll be staying at the campsite for several days ...

If I'm traveling solo and using a hook-up ... about 20-30 minutes once I have placed the trailer in the "right" spot. If I have to break out the blocks to level the trailer from side to side that will add to the 30 minutes. Otherwise, set up is time is devoted to checking out the campsite's electricity with my surge protector; de-hooking & leveling off the trailer; hooking up the H2O and sewage system; lighting up the hot water heater. Organizing the cabin, making the bed, and setting out my patio "carpet" rounds out my preparation.

If I'm dry camping ... about 20 minutes. That 20 minutes is devoted to leveling the trailer, transferring the refrigerator to propane, and setting up the cabin and outside area.

Tina, I'm got to add that I am fairly inefficient when it comes to set up. But traveling with an Egg makes it so very easy ...

Reading the other posts, I don't uncork wine ... need to add that to my "arrival check list".
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depends... did I leave home STRESSED? Or did I quietly get out of town? And, that depends on traffic too. When I arrive... do I absolutely need to unpack, or was the trailer packed well? (I really dislike a bunch of totes and boxes and bags of stuff). I hope I'm organized well enough there's not a lot to do.. level, hook up the power (water and everything else is "nice to have" but can wait until I relax.) I'm leaving for the NOG and I'm STRESSED. That lawn chair is looking mighty good right now.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Dumb question, after nearly 4 yrs on this site, (wow, been that long and still dont have an egg....something is wrong with that, lol), anyway what on earth does NOG stand for? I've always guessed Northern Oregon Gathering. Is that correct?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink It all depends on what the meaning of 'camp' is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
I am curious, how long does it take you all to set up 'camp' when you arrive at your destination?
If we are boondocking in a windy area, and not putting out the awning, then 20 minutes or so...

If we are staying in a full hook-up site for more than 2 days, then we have to connect all the utilities:
  • 30 amp power
  • fresh water (white hose)
  • Sewer hose
  • Cable TV
If it's calm enough for the awning to be unfurled, we put out the awning and the patio mat, scan the TV channels to match the cable hook-up , code-in access to the Wifi signal...
That adds another 20 or 30 minutes.

After that, if I really set up " C A M P "...

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1094.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	45410 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1098.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	45411

Name:	000_1110.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	45412

Name:	000_1226.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	45413 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1228.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	45414

It may be up to another 45 minutes before I can serve the wine.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Love it Frederick! Looks so inviting!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
anyway what on earth does NOG stand for? I've always guessed Northern Oregon Gathering. Is that correct?
Northern Oregon Gathering or as I prefer Not Organized Gathering.... which is really different than a DISORANIZED gathering. I just prefer to NOT schedule peoples time. We meet for meals, everything else is up to the indivdual to decide what they choose to do. Lots of lawnchair time at a NOG
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Northern Oregon Gathering or as I prefer Not Organized Gathering.... which is really different than a DISORANIZED gathering. I just prefer to NOT schedule peoples time. We meet for meals, everything else is up to the indivdual to decide what they choose to do. Lots of lawnchair time at a NOG
That sure sounds like my kind of get together.... Relaxing, not regimented!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Time to set up

You people impress me! I takes me 30 minutes to back into a spot!! LOL

If it is a truck stop, wayside, Wal-Mart, just unplug the electrical from the car and climb in. Less than 1 minute!!

The time it takes depends on how long we will stay. Overnight, at a reasonable level site, I will not unhitch, just unplug the electrical from the car, check the polarity of the electrical tree, plug in the electricity, level Homelet front to back, put out the stablizing jacks, throw the wheel chocks around the wheels, and we're done. Oh, I do retrieve water with my 1/2 gal jug for the Porta Potti.

If we are going to stay for a few days, then placing the solar lights, unhitching the car to travel to nearby attractions, etc. all adds time, I guess.

If the spot is not level side to side, then pulling Homelet up onto the necessary leveling blocks is added before unhitching.

I have given up on hooking up water, nor do I carry water in our 10 gal onboard tank. We carry one or two sturdy, former gallon apple juice containers of drinking water, and if we have dishes, I take my big pot to the water and place it on the stove to heat while we eat, then do the dishes. This also requires attaching the grey water drain hose and placing the GW bucket next to Homelet.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #32

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Ha

I have watched you set that thing up and now I will be timing you next time!
Since I have nothing better to do,well maybe document the setup too?
I will remember to wear Uhaul, so I match my trailer if you document it. Of course, the fish fry being early, we won't have as much practice.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Melissa the flame on my small fire pit (Fire Dancer) doesn't go all that high so I use it under the awning often. I have made 3 removable sides for my pop up awning which I put up in really poor weather to stop the wind and rain from coming in from the sides - it creates a warm spot for evening fire gatherings in bad weather. No concern with melting anything unless I was to place the fire right beside the nylon sides of the pop up and the wind was to blow the flame onto them. Mine is designed (it sits up on its on little built in stand that keeps the area where the flame is coming from off the ground by about 6") so that it can actually be placed on pretty well any surface and not damage what ever it is sitting on. I have seen though a much larger fire pit designed a little differently than mine leave a mark in the grass it was sitting on though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #34

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
does one need to disconnect the trailer from the car to "set up camp" or can you drive in and park and use it simply that way? SUPER NEWBIE to the whole camping thing.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #35

Ana, that's a "depends" kind of answer. My trailer tows nearly level, so I can use it without unhooking. Although the refrigerator sure works better when the trailer is perfectly level. Some folks tow a bit tongue down... which may make sleeping uncomfortable (rolling out of bed? ). I often unhook, but don't move the tug... and level up. Makes rehooking a snap!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #36

New Hampshire
Registry
and how do you "level" the trailer? WOW never thought of that aspect LOL! figured I'd throw some jacks under the rear just so it doesn't tip over. I suppose there is more to this owning and camping in a little egg than I thought of. I thought I would just pull in and open the door.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #37

New Hampshire
Registry
DONNA YOU CRACK ME UP!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #38

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
If it's calm enough for the awning to be unfurled, we put out the awning and the patio mat, scan the TV channels to match the cable hook-up , code-in access to the Wifi signal...
That adds another 20 or 30 minutes.

Frederick you two should join in on some of the trips I make with a group of friends as you would fit right in. The attached is a sight that you are likely to see more often than not if we are at a camp ground for more than a day. Trust me you dont want to see a photo of the trailers as posting a photo of all the lights involved may not be a good thing due to it being so close to Earth Day.
Attached Thumbnails
small table setting-22-11 16_02 DeceptionPass (3).jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #39

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
does one need to disconnect the trailer from the car to "set up camp" or can you drive in and park and use it simply that way? SUPER NEWBIE to the whole camping thing.
There's nothing says you can't leave it hooked up unless it's not level. Then as Donna says the fridge works better level. I would always disconnect the electrical cord that goes to the tow vehicle.

For single nights we often don't unhook, just disconnect the cord. Otherwise we unhook for several reasons. It's easier to get into the back our truck for chairs, table, solar panel, any of several traveling hobby materials. Also we often head for local attractions, do a little sight seeing, sometimes a grocery store is needed or a laundry mat. Maybe we just want to eat out.

That said most of our trailer use is NOT week-ends.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #40

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
As Donna said, there is an advantage to adjusting the hitch so that the trailer tows level. When camping overnight, just having lunch, etc. the trailer is usable as is, no monkeying around. If you tend to get seasick easily it might be better to set up a couple of stabilizers, but that is usually not a problem.

Often nothing gets unhooked, providing you have a solenoid on the charge line (no chance of running the battery in the tow vehicle down that way).

Our fridge doesn't care about being level, but sleeping is a different matter. Gravity takes over, which may require a bit of planning.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote