Time needed to set up camp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Time needed to set up camp?

I am curious, how long does it take you all to set up 'camp' when you arrive at your destination?

I mean once you find your campsite, how long does it take until you are sitting down and enjoying your time?
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #2

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Half an hour for me.

All I have to do is disconnect and level my trailer.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
That all depends. Sometimes I declare setup complete when I shift into park on the tow vehicle. Other times it might take 1/2 hour to level the trailer just right, disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle and connect all utilities.

Sitting down and enjoying my time begins when I pull out of the driveway 8-)

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
That's good to hear. I am hoping an egg will help cut down on our time it takes to set up camp.

Tent camping is just not as fun as it once was now that we have two young kids. I want to get back to it being more fun! Plus we are wanting to travel long distances with less time setting up and tearing down camp.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
If it is pouring rain, I arrive, shut off the engine, run back to the trailer, dive in and slam the door. I'm now set up.

If it is a nice day and I am gonna be staying a while I will level & block the trailer (and this is usually a very short process, but some campsites are just NOT as level as we'd like). If the site is very unlevel, we need to put leveling blocks/boards under one side or the other, repark, etc. Once the trailer is level side-to-side, it is just a matter of chocking the wheels, unhitching, setting the nose-to-tail level with the tongue jack and setting the corner jacks to HOLD it level.

Plug in to the power and open a beer

Even in a worst case - 20 min.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We sometimes travel with a couple who tent camp. We arrive at the campground at the same time, I usually get set up and have two beers before they get set up. I gave up on them when moving in the morning I'm on the road at least an hour before they leave the campsite.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Varies for us, if it's for one or two nights, just unhook, put the corner jacks down & level the trailer. For a little longer stay we have a Northern Breeze screen house we set up, and if there's shore power & cable TV there's a few minutes more for the wires and set up the TV, or if shore power but no cable then put up the antenna. Then get chairs, coolers, and camp stove out [ we don't cook inside]. And for a real long stay when we have a canopy to go over the trailer. So set up can be 20 minutes to an hour. Almost forgot, unload the bikes, and in some cases unload kayaks! Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I can remember the early camping day with 2 kids and we set up and took down each day as we were on a long trip.
Now park, level,set up lawn chairs and open the bar!!

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Also depends on if your awning is cooperating, lol!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
15 minutes! It's just me, so unhook, level, hook up water and elec, bring out chair-I'm done! Now, when there was 6 of us, and a tent trailer-about an hour.

I like the 15 minutes(but wouldn't mind sharing it w/someone, but, alas, not happening). Lost my wife 6 years ago.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Aw darn! One less tent-camper to watch setting up after we are finished setting up and are sitting enjoying our glass of wine while we watch the tent-campers and pop-up campers setting up.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Hmmmm....
4got about the awning - not used to having one - just got it installed and never had one before on anything. (But then again, we have also never spent any time at or near the trailer either!) This weekend @ the NOG is gonna our first time "camping" as opposed to our usual use for a trailer
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Aw darn! One less tent-camper to watch setting up after we are finished setting up and are sitting enjoying our glass of wine while we watch the tent-campers and pop-up campers setting up.

CindyL
Ha

I have watched you set that thing up and now I will be timing you next time!
Since I have nothing better to do,well maybe document the setup too?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes, maybe less. Put the trailer where I want it. Go through a simple leveling procedure ( which includes unhooking), light the fridge. Done.
Time to drag the chairs out of the truck and relax.

Procedure.
Put the trailer in a nice place.
Get out the BAL leveler and level side to side.
Unhook trailer completely
Lower the front below level.
Deploy stabilizers (at the rear)
Crank tongue jack up to level.
Turn on propane
Light fridge.

Enjoy.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
We entertained the idea of getting a tent trailer/pop up trailer for a VERY short amount of time. I don't see too much benefit from going from tent camping to a tent trailer. It seems like too much time would be spent setting up and tearing down.

But it's looking like we can benefit from an egg trailer.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If I am only staying a short time about 15 min. - level and pull out the awning (if only staying one night I dont even do that) and connect power and water (if there is any) and put out the chair and sit down - oh forgot need to turn on the propane fire pit..... on the other hand if I am staying a number of days - It might take longer - about 45 min. as I will pull out the outside rug, hang the little lights on the awning, put up and outside table for the BQ and one for eating - if its cold and windy I might put the pop up tent to put the fire pit under...... pretty sure I forgot something ......oh yea my little flag stand signs need to be put out as well.... :-))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
We entertained the idea of getting a tent trailer/pop up trailer for a VERY short amount of time. I don't see too much benefit from going from tent camping to a tent trailer. It seems like too much time would be spent setting up and tearing down.

But it's looking like we can benefit from an egg trailer.
We've watched a lot of people struggling with a tent trailer. The winds came where were in Big Bend NP. Some folks in tent trailer left their awing out. A couple of us went over and took it before it was destroyed. We notice that the top of trailer was moving around a lot. Next morning we talked to the owner, he thanked us for taking down his awning then told us that him and his wife slept in the tow vehicle after closing down the tent trailer.

Another thing about a hard sided trailer, we have no problems or concerns about staying in rest areas, truck stops, and Wal-Mart Parking lots. The trailer looks the same whether we're inside or not or towing.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #18

Hi! Have always wondered if it's ok to put a propane firepit under an awning or in a screen room? Dont have one yet so concerned if there is enough heat coming off the fire to damage the roof? Does it matter which firepit you buy and should the screen room roof (or trailer awning) be a certain height to keep from getting dangerously hot?

Thanks!

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If I am only staying a short time about 15 min. - level and pull out the awning (if only staying one night I dont even do that) and connect power and water (if there is any) and put out the chair and sit down - oh forgot need to turn on the propane fire pit..... on the other hand if I am staying a number of days - It might take longer - about 45 min. as I will pull out the outside rug, hang the little lights on the awning, put up and outside table for the BQ and one for eating - if its cold and windy I might put the pop up tent to put the fire pit under...... pretty sure I forgot something ......oh yea my little flag stand signs need to be put out as well.... :-))
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #19

Registry
If you can put your hand over the fire, between the awning and the fire and not burn your skin it's not a problem.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #20

Thanks, Byron! That's an easy one to remember!