Time spent looking for an egg - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
That is a good age to be camping. Right on Dad!

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
March or so 2005

Wanted an Egg, only knew about Scamp. Looked it up, gave the factory a call, got a packet in the mail, called & talked & ordered one sight unseen. Some 1,500 miles away.

Then the wait for it to be built.

Did go to the factory before it was built to see one in person.

When it was built in August, we were back at work so my son picked the trailer up. They were living in Minot, ND at the time.

Early Sept, they drove it halfway down from Minot to Loveland, CO & we drove up from Las Cruces. We had a nice visit & saw Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park with them.

Even paying for their fuel & camping fees & one night in a motel for us, I believe it came out less than paying Scamp to deliver the egg.

When we sold the Scamp last summer (20014), the buyer saw the ad on Craigslist & negotiated by phone (voice & texts) and emails with photos from Albuquerque about 325 miles from Las Cruces.

He was not the first to call about it.
Attached Thumbnails
ScampCO NatMon.JPG   00h0h_8jo424J7CM_600x450.jpg  

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
2015 Lance 1985 ~ Casita de Campo ~23' 4"
~Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #17
Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 'Earlton' Boler - GMC Terrain
We've been camping every summer since 1968, in a series of truck-campers (3), a tent trailer, stickies (4), and a fifthwheel. Always admired the FG eggs, hoping to find one, since about 1990. Found a '73 Boler 1300, just placed out for sale, one morning in 2013, just 2 km. from home. By noon. it was ours. Joined FGRV and started 'dreaming'. Built a new 'Boler Barn' (with 10 ft. ceilings) this past winter, and expect to now start minor renos, for our next generation and the grandies to use.
Best advice - 'If you stumble on a dream you've been just considering - grab it fast, and get out to explore the entire continent. We've camped (and 'geocached') in 49 states and nine provinces to date, and there's loads more to experience.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
Name: Marvin
Trailer: Trillium
I saw my first egg in an LL Bean parking lot and was very intrigued. They showed me the inside with the bed in back and compared it to my Chevy van on which I had put about 40K miles in 3 years or so. A year and a half later, I interrupted our vacation around Lake Champlain to look inside another one. That's when the bug struck. Went on this site off and on until I found someone selling one in the Boston area. Unfortunately, it was a weekend, I couldn't communicate with the seller on the site as I had not registered, but did find his ad on Craigslist. Went there the next day, Sunday, looked it over, and bought it then and there. He had done a bit of work on it, including a new axle, brakes, tires, floor++. Interior is almost original, toilet had been removed to make a dinette, while I made more space for storage there. Sold my van a short while later and am pleased to be part of the egg community.
mrmdvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #19
Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
There is a similar 8 page thread on this topic...not sure how to link to it but for example, I posted this:
How We Found Our Eggcamper
I came across an article about small campers, which led me to this Forum. I learned a lot about fiberglass campers from reading information and advice from members, and I knew that there were only a few brands with enough interior height for my 6'4" husband....Eggcamper being one brand. So I set about searching ads on this Forum and also CraigsList. Low and behold an ad popped up on CL for a 2011 Eggcamper about a 4-hour drive away....from an RV dealer. Then the ad disappeared. Assumed we had missed out. Then a few days later, the same ad reappeared. Then disappeared. About a week later, the ad was back. This time I decided to call the dealer...yes, he said they had the Eggcamper sitting right there. I was skeptical. 😕 But hopeful. We said we'd drive up on Saturday to take a look. Called back Friday to see if it was still there....yes, they said. Called again Saturday before leaving home...called again from the road. Boy, I sure did not trust that ad!! Pulled into the lot and there sat the Eggcamper! 😄
My husband and I sat inside and discussed making the purchase. A two minute discussion! In the cabinet, we found a 3-ring binder with the original sale contract and the first buyer's name.....which I googled and found out that he was a member!! So we quickly read all his posts to see if there were any red flags, but all seemed fine. We gave the Dealer a check and they let us drive it away😍. Later I emailed Raymond C, the original owner, to tell him we had purchased his camper! He was very nice....said they traded it in for something bigger. So that's how we lucked into our Eggcamper!
2011 Eggcamper
2011 Eggcamper
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B17
We'd been RVing for quite awhile, first with a little Toyota Dolphin mini-motorhome, then a 24' Class C, then a 32' Class A. We had serious 2-foot-itis! The big rig was nice (especially for long trips), but we got tired of the terrible gas mileage, the seemingly never-ending repairs, towing a car, and not being able to get into the kind of campgrounds we liked best because we were too big. We'd seen the small FG trailers around and always thought they were pretty appealing so after selling our big rig we began looking for one with no specific brand in mind at first, but eventually narrowing our search down to a Bigfoot. We probably looked for 3 months or so. We looked at one quite near home but it had some serious issues. We looked at another up in B. C., also pretty close to home, but it also had some issues. Finally we spotted one down near Corvallis, OR and made the trip to take a look at it, about a 700 mile round trip journey. We took enough cash so that if we had to pay full price we could, but ended up getting it for a bit less than the sellers' asking price.

We've discovered some things wrong with our trailer, but have been fixing things and making improvements as we go along. Although we'd had plenty of experience with the camping/Rv lifestyle I really wish we'd discovered this website before we bought our trailer. I think we would have learned a lot about what sort of problems or warning signs to look out for and maybe we could have avoided a few problems.

When actively shopping, we scanned Craigslist and the Fiberglass RVs For Sale websites several times a day (didn't know about this site yet or we'd have been doing the same here). I think it pays to be patient and keep looking until you find the trailer that really speaks to you.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 PM   #21
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
I didn't find my egg- it found me! I was looking for something else, and my Scamp showed up on a side street with a for sale sign. Twenty-four hours later it was parked in our driveway.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #22
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
My wife spotted a little funky painted green egg in the back row of a stickie yard. Came home and told me where to pick up a 10 year old trailer called a Boler. Twenty years later it still goes where it's towed to. It has had a paint job, a new axle and an interior revamp. There is now a permanent bed and a two person dinette in it. It has out lasted a bunch of cars, trucks, vans and suv's. Every few years we talk about upgrading and then decide to keep the great little traveller. It goes to rallys, sits at the cottage as a spare bedroom, camps all over the country and garners it's fair share of attention wherever it is. We have met a lot of great people because of our memory maker.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote