Old 08-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
AN Imperfect Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post

Norm, you are VERY welcome!

I hope you will consider reading Gayle Madden's book. Although her motivation was different, what she wrote is very similar to what you're doing. She would address a day's meditation, activity, trip, or adventure, and then relate it to a deeper musing. It always seemed like there was a very good lesson or inspiration to each day's work.

She also thought writing would be hard work, and it turns out that she loved doing it every day, just as you are doing!

I have purchased the book. It does look like a good read.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #17

Florida
Ellpea,

Here's another one. our 50 footers were more like these. The triangles were covered by plywood triangles that were nailed to the basic structure. The plywood was pre coated with fiberglass on one side. After nailing the plywood on we fiberglassed the seams.

This is also interesting approach. They have viseos.

Dome Connectors® - 2x4 Geodesic Dome Connector Kits

The amount of time that it takes to build them is true. A day could give you a fully enclosed structure.

We also developed a non triangular version.

When I was a kid my mother would score the skin of an orange with a knife, much like the longitude and latitude markings on a globe. We used this approach allowing the use of panels that were 4'wide, the same as plywood or plastic sheets creating a bunch of 4' high trapezoids with decreasing width. The last piece would be a triangle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #18

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Ellpea, thanks for the suggestion of the “Half Moon”, gotta give it a try. I started Chair Yoga about 3 months ago, the draw back are it's just one day a week and, as I've learned, is it is just that, “Chair” yoga and doesn't include things such as Plank. Lot's of stretching, which is good, and some balance exercises but that seems to be the extent. My health club also has Yoga/Core classes 3 days a week that I've gotta look into. Now if they'll accept a decrepit Ole Man.......
Pat, Ha! I'm sure you're not decrepit! BUT, if you've only done chair yoga, please build up slowly. Do take classes at your club from a certified teacher, don't try a challenging pose on your own. I'd hate for you to lose your balance -- which can happen.

Here is an image of half moon from the knee. This would be a safer way to begin.

I put a gardening pad (foam) under my knee when I do this. I also have another one under my yoga mat where my hands usually are (my wrists hurt with weight on them).

I think as we get older, our job changes. Before we work to earn a living, and we focus on raising children or fun activities. But later on, our job becomes taking care of ourselves. We can do a good job, or we can slowly go downhill.

This lady has been doing yoga for decades, and is still going strong. I'm sure her bones are strong, she has a straight back, and her balance is great.

[IMG]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1n1GtOaL7XU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/IMG]

Although you can see her doing an advanced lotus pose, these extremes are not necessary. Even after 16 years or so, I don't do lotus, or put my ankle behind my neck! Just do whatever your body is comfortable doing, and build up balance and strength. Your body will thank you for it!

Best wishes,
Ellpea
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #19

Florida
I've never done yoga but Ginny is now considering it. What's most interesting is the ability of your body to get better in relatively short order even after years of neglect.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #20

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Yoga "bum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I've never done yoga but Ginny is now considering it. What's most interesting is the ability of your body to get better in relatively short order even after years of neglect.
This is very true, and no one was more out of shape than me when I started. At first I could not come close to touching my toes or standing in a crouch for "chair" (like a downhill ski look). In about 3-4 months, my elderly parents accused me of wearing "padded undies." My mother insisted on a pinch to be convinced that I wasn't.

I guess that's what is called yoga "bum."

But yes, your body is always ready and able to get better.
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #21

Florida
Magic

Selling our house has been an enormous job. Part of the job is going through stuff.

Yesterday we came across a journal of our first year on the road that Ginny wrote. You could read some of the transformation that occurred in us as we began our first trip, wandering over 18 weeks from NH to FL and eventually wandering back to NH and on to NL.

You can catch glimpses of the change in us on many pages of Ginny's journal.

The acts of reading about our travels in Ginny's journal and now writing 'Musings' is stimulating, bringing back events and causing us to think about how we got here. It's very positive to consider your life, not in a personal punishing way, but to look forward to improvement.

For me the writing experience has been very positive. Yesterday I watched Ginny reading her journal, you could read happiness in her face. Our choice to travel, our ability to change, has been a blessing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #22

Florida
" Whatever you do in life, 90 percent of it is half mental."
- Yogi Berra

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #23

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Norm, without those long hours you put in years ago, and your success with corporate life, you would not be in the enviable financial position you are in now. I too worked 60 and 70 hours/week for decades years ago, but for non-profits. It did not do much financially for me. I'll be 63 next month, and don't see any possibility of retiring before I'm 66, and even then, it will be on a very tight budget.

On top of that, I've had back surgery, both knees operated on, three shoulder surgeries, and have spinal stenosis. This past Sunday, and before and after work this week I am wiring my new 12 X 20 small barn, and yesterday after work and this morning was shoveling crusher run into depressions at the top of my driveway. I try and keep as active as I can, for fear of not!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #24

Florida
Frank.
Sorry to read that you've had so many surgeries, that's never easy. I have to admit to being paranoid about people cutting on me. I have a bone chip in my wrist that occasionally becomes nearly unusable. The doctor asked me what i do when it happens.

I push on it and move the chip. He says that's better than operating on it.

I do know that sometimes it's necessary but I'm in the avoidance mode. I hope you don't need anymore surgery.

It's good that you keep at it, what ever it is. I think activity is very important to well being, both mentally and physically. One of the nice things for us about hitting the road, it was an entirely new activity, both mentally and physically. It's very nature required change and learning for us.

I hope people don't get the feeling that we are very well off. We retired really early, without pension, insurance or income. We did live frugally and really still do, Ginny is really frugal by nature except for gifts to others. We own only one vehicle and have for 15 years, we have never purchased a new RV, and rarely spend money on ourselves other than to travel.

As to corporate success, we've had some but mainly in corporations we've created, usually with investment and risk on our part.

I have done some non-profit work, and found it very educational, but somewhat frustrating. We started a soup kitchen, worked in a shelter and served as a mayor. All provided great lessons, all virtually unpaid.

Life on the road is definitely not for all of us. Most of us are in 'partnerships' of some kind or have created obligations, stated and unstated, that keep us close to home.

As we close out our New Hampshire home yesterday I heard Ginny singing 'On the Road Again', anxious to escape our past, our home and the obligations. Oh yes, we'll be back to visit the obligations next summer after our NL Caravan, but we'll feel freer and find it easier to disappear in the summer. Next summer will be a transition of a kind.

Wishing you well on your wiring of your barn. I like wiring and helped wire my son's renovated kitchen last week.

Bless you and keep your activity up,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #25

Florida
The Past haunts the Present

I found the last box to be gone through in the Cellar I opened it to find a scrapbook of my political career. It's against my rules but I read through those six years and was shocked by one of the first articles.

The reporter described me with about 5 adjective , one was plump. It's funny getting plump is progressive change of state, you almost don't know it. I guess people see what they want in the mirror. As Ginny's been going through 1000s of photographs she's thrown out plump Norm pictures, I handled the scrapbook as scrap.

Some good came out of it. I had a half of pb&j for lunch and went out and washed and waxed the car in the hot Sun, feeling less plump. The Odyssey is a lot bigger than the CRV.

RVing can be good for a 'plump' person's health.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16