Time to update my profile: Casita ordered! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Smile Time to update my profile: Casita ordered!

Finally, after months of wheedling (me) and eye rolling (dear wife), we placed the order with Casita yesterday for our first TT, a 17' Freedom deluxe! Whoo hooo! Now to get the old garden cleared and carport installed to shelter it. They say it will be ready in early November
Since I'm fairly new to the forum, a bit of background: the key event of my childhood was when my parents packed my sister (5) and me (9) in a 69 poptop VW camper and went out west for the summer. Dad needed to visit several native american reservation archives for his research, so we took the opportunity to see everything we could, from the midwest, up through the badlands and Glacier, all the way to the Pac NW and back through the SW. Changed my life, and I think I've been trying to recapture that ever since.

I'm retired, dear wife still working, so we won't be fulltiming (at least any time soon), but I can wait to put some miles on this baby!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
New Egg

Hey Steve and (Dear Wife)
Welcome, an exciting time for sure you'll love your new Casita. We have a Spirit Deluxe and seem to appreciate it more each time we use it. Our situation is similar to your's in that my wife is younger than me and still has several years to go before retirement. She's a teacher and having summers off she would take off with her dad who was an avid sailor and be gone for weeks at a time. I always encouraged her to go but was green with envy, she would say that when I retired payback would be a b***h (for her). Last winter I took an extended trip to the Florida panhandle with her blessing and absolutely loved it. This winter I'm planning on attending the Quartzite rally in Arizona. I would recommend buying Arizona Ellen's Casita A-Z CD a good way to hit the ground running when you do pick-up your Freedom. Again welcome. Peace
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Georgia
Thanks for the welcome Wayne, I can't wait. Already planning the trip out to pick it up, any tips?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, you picked a great trailer lol.
Sounds like you have some wonderful camping childhood memories and I am sure you will make many more with your new trailer.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Of tips I have a few, and one has already been mentioned (the CD).

2nd, take a look at Home | Little House Customs.
There you'll find a lot of useful accessories and mods, some of which you may decide you want. The LHC shop is only a couple of hours from Rice and a lot of folks make that their first stop away from the factory.

3rd In addition to this great forum, I recommend you join casitaforum.com to expand your FG family and learn more about Casitas than you can imagine. Folks there are every bit as friendly and helpful as here.

4th Happy Camping.

Walt
Old 07-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Wayne
Connecticut
Tips

Hey Steve,
As far as tips, as Walt mentioned check out the other forums. Although there are some necessities you'll surely want to take with you, there is the "miss it twice" rule which basically means don't purchase it until you've missed it twice. This rule keeps us from going nuts buying stuff. We all camp a little differently; some people don't like microwaves. Although I don't cook in one, I find them great for reheating. We purchased an after-market micro which I can remove if we happen to be boondocking. If you just follow the forums you'll learn a lot. We all started as newbies so don't sweat it. Peace.
Wayne p.s. If you would like to chat over the phone I'll private message you my phone #
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #7

Georgia
Thanks everyone, I've been lurking on the casita forum for a while, great info, but the forum software they use is a little funky--had a hard time figuring it out at first. I'm already salivating over improvements, so I'm going to try to remember the "miss it twice" rule, that will help. A friend of mine had a similar approach: whenever he was tempted to buy something he'd put it on a dated list, and then review that list every few months.A lot of items he would have bought using "one click" ordering weren't that tempting a month or two later.

Steve
Old 07-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
If there is a mod you decide you can't live without and you want LHC to do I strongly suggest you make your appointment with them now. They stay booked up months in advance and probably could not fit you in with shorter notice.
I have visited them myself for some mods on the Casita I used to own and it was a great experience. They are wonderful people who do a wonderful service for people with fiberglass trailers.

Good luck to you and hope you have many years of safe and fun travels. Congratulations on your new Casita.
sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I gotta add to Sandy's recommendation. Going to Larry and Debbie's is not like hiring some friendly strangers to do a job for you. It's more like meeting and making some close friends and you all agree that while you are visiting them and staying at their nice guest house and going out to dinner with them, they'll add some nice upgrades to your new trailer. Mods that if you could get them done somewhere else, would cost a whole lot more.
Word has spread that it's such a nice experience it's worth choosing some mods so you can go too.

BTW, although the focus at LHC is on Casitas, they are known to work on many other FG trailers at times, including, yes, even my Bigfoot.

Walt
Old 07-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Steve,

A little late to your thread. Congratulations on your Casita. Laura and I bought a new to us '05 Casita 17' FD in November, started camping in March, and completed a 12 day, 1900 mile trip in June. We love it. I am sure you and your wife will too!

We just booked a long weekend next week and hope to do one long weekend a month in August, September, and October (Land Between the Lakes Egg Rally). That will give us a little 30 days camping our first season.

I will be transitioning from a 12 month adminstrative appointment back to a 9 month teaching appointment in a couple of years, thus summers off to travel more!

Keep us posted!

Take care,

Dean

Tags
casita