Tips for eggcamping with dogs? In the rain? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #21

Name: Warren
Trailer: 1979 17' Boler
British Columbia
We have always taken our 75-pound Airedale with us in our 17-foot Boler (sometimes with 2 grandsons). Mostly boondocking works for us -- but on those occasions when we have stayed in parks and had to leave her alone, a long rope tied so it cannot wrap around obstacles and choke her worked well. Just so she has shade and water: she is well behaved and while she will sit looking where we left, she doesn't bark -- makes it simpler. (Normally, she comes along on all walks).

There is nothing she likes better than camping.
Warren Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Tip for camping with 2 BIG dogs in 13 foot trailer.

1. Check long range weather forecast for long stretch of good dry weather.
2. Reserve campsite at campground that allows dogs.
3. Go camping.

If it is raining:

1. Stay home with 2 BIG dogs.
2. Study campground directories for dog friendly campgrounds.
3. Wait for better weather forecast.

When I camp without a pet and it rains I go to a museum or go visit antique shops.
Unless you have a huge 5th wheel wheel with a huge HDTV rain camping gets old mighty fast....faster with one dog...really fast with 2 BIG dogs.

Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #23

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
my dogs are the reason i have a trailer. if you travel enough, and gasoline prices are in the 3+ dollar range like they have been, you finally get it that flying and staying in cheap motels is actually cheaper sometimes. but--i won't leave my fur babies! more for my sake than theirs, in the long run. i just miss them too much to enjoy the trip. i've always had a bigger rv than i now have--plenty of space for all of us. now, though, i have just bought a 17' casita that i have yet to take out on the road. like Sands, above, i invested in the screen room that i'm hoping will free up the inside when we're in place for several days! you might want to invest in some dog raincoats just to cut down on the amount of water that you have to deal with when they come inside. besides, greyhounds look stunning in fashions!
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #24

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
No problem with a little one...

I love traveling with my 11 lb pup…a Havanese. I found Shenandoah Nation Park allows dogs on their trails, which is why I stop there every year. Like someone else mention…bring lots of towels
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1866.jpg  
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
We were lucky to have our Scamp by the house so we could pop in with Poochie and chill with drinks n snacks from time to time. Reggie had his special camping bed by the bunks or on the lower one. We trained him to get comfy there while we 'camped' in th backyard. We would leave him for a little bit at first, within earshot in case he got upset but he never did. We think he thought the Scamp was his!!! As we left him longer periods...even in rain, he did great. Once they get used to you coming and going they usually get calm. Ours takes our away time to sneak a nap on our bed so we make sure it It is covered with a heavy duty cover. We love chillin with Reggie in our trailer (now a 19' Escape) and he loves his luxurious rolling dog house!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #26

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Scamp on order!
South Carolina
Great tips and lots to think about! Keep 'em coming please!

I always, always pick up poop if there's any chance someone else may step in it. Irresponsible owners are almost worse than badly behaved dogs. I have had way too many encounters where people let their off leash, borderline aggressive dogs charge my dogs while they are leashed and by my side. I've started carrying mace because it happens so often. Greyhound skin is like tissue paper and I don't want any vet bills.

Rain boredom could definitely be an issue. I guess that's where an Audible subscription comes in handy, and being sure to make the best of good weather.

What about awnings? I opted to skip installing the awning on my trailer. At 90 lbs and almost $900, it seemed a little excessive.
Brindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindles View Post

What about awnings? I opted to skip installing the awning on my trailer. At 90 lbs and almost $900, it seemed a little excessive.
Awning discussions are like talking about religion or politics. Its in discussion now at the "Scamp Travel Trailers" Facebook page and there are also many threads here on the subject. I am also on the Nay side but it seems to be a minority position. There are a lot of other options to spend nearly a grand on but when you get to the beach with no shade, it might be nice to have.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #28

South Carolina
Looking it up now! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #29

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
The thing about rain is, you won't melt. You can always dry off and change to dry clothes. It isn't a big deal.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
The thing about rain is, you won't melt. You can always dry off and change to dry clothes. It isn't a big deal.
Spoken like a true PNW person. A little rain doesn't bother us.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #31

South Carolina
True! The biggest thing about the rain to me is less about getting wet and more about the mud and dirt that gets more easily tracked in (and dropped on the bed) by human feet and doggie feet. I'll figure something out, though, I'm sure!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #32
GRF

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita--Independence Standard
Missouri
I wrote up our essential dog kit recently. Hope it helps.
https://zenandtheartoflittlehousetra...g-camping-kit/
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
GRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #33

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
One of those car seat covers made of heavy canvas and designed to cover the bench style rear seats in a vehicle works well on the front sofa of a Scamp. The straps that normally go over the headrests can be run under the top bunk hinges to keep it in place. The cover does not go the entire width of the sofa however. At present I supplement it with large pillow cases on the ends of the bottom bunk /sofa. My single dog stays in the middle of the sofa anyway so it does protect the fabric quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
P6010388 copy.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
All pet stores carry poop bag dispensers that clip on a leash handle like this model. Some parks require that you carry bags when walking the dog - and USE them. Campers who do not own dogs appreciate seeing them as you walk by!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BC1X82?psc=1

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #35

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Invest in raincoats for them. That will cut down on the house keeping work.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote