Tips for NEWBIES - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-25-2003, 08:19 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mark

Posted by Suz, Moderator, North Texas

Mark

Welcome to the board. There is a weath of information here, isn't there? I am so glad that it helped. Have you been following the board long? Did you find a lot of the info with our search feature or just been hanging out reading what was written?

No matter, we're just glad you're here. Helping each other and having fun is what we're all about.

Thanks for letting us know!

Enoy your Patriot! Happy Camping.
-----------------------------
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 05-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #16

Posted by Mark M., Member, So. Cal.

Suz,
I did a little of both. I have been checking the site daily for a month or so. Found it in a Google search for “fiberglass travel trailer”. What a score!
I started with just reading the posts, and as I learned enough to seek out specific information I started using the Search Engine.
Keep the ideas coming – we newbies need all the help we can get.

Old 05-26-2003, 10:14 AM   #17

Posted by Rick, Moderator, Vancouver, BC Canada
While camping a few weeks ago, our friends told us a little tidbit that made me curious. Here's something I found while doing a search on Google. It pretty well sums up the conversation. Has anyone else heard this, any comments?

If you chose to drink bottled water, it is important that used bottles are thoroughly cleaned and dried before reusing. A recent study reported in the Canadian Journal of Health found one-third of the samples collected from kids' reused water bottles were contaminated with high levels of bacteria. And even though some experts say that washing the bottle after each use will alleviate the problem, a 1999 U.S. study found that thorough washing might make a bottle unsafe by accelerating the breakdown of the plastic and causing chemicals to leach into the water. Therefore, your best course of action is to throw the bottle away and start fresh.
Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

95 Bigfoot 25B21 (21.5FT)
Old 05-26-2003, 01:08 PM   #18

Posted by Rich, Member, Midwest

Rick, I have not heard that but it dont surprise me. I would say to buy bike water bottles, I have a half dozen now. I like to take one of those fanny packs with 2 spots for water bottles when I go places. I either pack them full of ice cubes or fill them half way the night before and freeze them (then finish filling in the am). Like Charles says, drink them as they melt.

Using bike bottles should avoid the leeching of chemicals, they were designed for continued and extended use (unlike the bottled water or pop containers). It wont, however, stop the bacteria buildup if you are putting your mouth on the bottle.

My advise for newbie egg owners... forget the small stuff and have fun. I bought a egg to get out of a tent and off the ground. I had camp set up in 10 minutes including backing in the campsite and leveling the trailer and lighting the propane fridge. At minute 11 I was sitting in a lawn chair drinking a beverage. Now that was relaxing, no more hour set-up times (more if after dark or raining). The side benefit of fast set-up really makes the eggs enjoyable, take advantage of it.

Rich
Old 05-26-2003, 01:51 PM   #19

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator, Northeast, Oklahoma

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick
And even though some experts say that washing the bottle after each use will alleviate the problem, a 1999 U.S. study found that thorough washing might make a bottle unsafe by accelerating the breakdown of the plastic and causing chemicals to leach into the water. Therefore, your best course of action is to throw the bottle away and start fresh.
I had heard the need to wash, but not the chemical leaching problem. I assume we are talking handwash? so they breakdown from time not washing - sounds like, maybe. or the hot warter gets them started leaching?

Do those bike bottles leave a taste? I know some of the straws do. or use to, as I haven't used them in a few years.
(image no long available)
Jana Journeycake
PullsButtercupwithYellaEscape
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)
Old 05-26-2003, 09:24 PM   #20

I've had bottles that do leave a taste but I recycled them. Most of the more expensive ones dont leave a taste but if you can detect plastic from a straw I dont think it will work for you.

HTH
Rich
Old 05-26-2003, 11:32 PM   #21

Posted by Rick, Moderator, Vancouver, BC Canada
My intent was to get people's thoughts as to whether there is any significant danger on constantly resusing standard over-the-counter pre-filled water bottles.

Of course this could all be a ruse by Coke (Dasani) to make us buy more of their product.

Maybe we should all just drink more beer! ( ? )

FYI: Coke's Dasani brand is more expensive per oz/ml than Perrier!
----------------------------
Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

95 Bigfoot 25B21 (21.5FT)
Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 AM   #22

Sorry Rick, biggest danger I can see is to your pocketbook. That water in 20oz bottles is more than gasoline per gallon. I have well water so I refuse to pay for water and use the bike bottles instead.

Perrier is not anything special. They have wells all over the US and pump water and bottle it to save on trucking costs. They even tryed putting in a high volume well that would pump several thousand gallons a day just north of me, the locals voted it down due to fear of lowering the water table too much. You cant even find Perrier now if you want to.

I agree, more beer.

Rich
Old 05-27-2003, 11:13 AM   #23

Plastic breakdown

Posted by JR Holland, Member
Plastic breakdown
This does make sense based on other studies I have seen. I would say that if the plastic breaksdown that easily, it will also break down in any situation where the bottles are stored longterm in the heat or in the sun. I have read the same thing about older used plastic baby bottles too. Milk jug type bottles are the fastest to break down.

I use the Rubbermaid drink bottles. They are only slightly larger than the water bottles and they are easier to wash out since the tops are larger. I am sure they will break down over time as well, but they are sturdier plastic to start with, so they likely last longer. I rarely notice a taste from these bottles, but I often do from other types of plastic.

My local grocery store chain has all their Rubbermaid on sale a couple of times a year so I can pick up the bottles for around $1.00-1.50 depending on size. I think Kmart also has these sales.
JR
Freedom AND Wheeled Peace
'77 Trillium 4500/'02 Subaru Forester