Tips for traveling with CATS ..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #1

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Tips for traveling with CATS .....

I am a newbie that has seemed to narrow the search to a Scamp 13ft. Went and saw one today. It was smaller than it looks on the pictures, but because of weight issues, I think it is best trailer for me. Solo traveler, plus 2 cats.

Is that do-able? They get along well. What are the basics tips I need to know?........McKenna
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
McKenna, I am on my phone right now so can't do a good search, but there was a recent discussion on this you should read. There are a few members traveling with cats.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Maybe here? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ith+cats&sa=Go
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I don't have any 'magic' solution just one that works for me and my cat.

I drive an Escape and when travelling with 'Bobby', the backseats are down and he is in a large animal carrier with his food, water and litter box (a plastic dish pan). He a large cat but the carrier is big enough for him to move around and contains everything he needs for comfort.

Inside the the camper, his ordinary-sized litter box is in the storage area of the street-side seat for the table. I leave the table as a bed and the cat is able to access the box through a door in the side of the bench. I put a piece of rough carpet under the box and covering the open door to try and catch litter carried out of the box bf it is tracked all over. Not fool-proof re. the kitty litter but does contain most of it and offers the cat his 'own' privacy. My camper also has an access door to this area from the outside so I can clean the box from outside which also helps to avoid smells and mess.

Bobby was already a 10 yo cat when he started travelling with me and had never worn a harness or leash. We tried them but he was obviously uncomfortable and managed to squirm out of the harness so I gave up on that idea.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #5

I've found that you can use your vet's Prozac prescription under Target's $4 prescription plan.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreen Bradshaw View Post
I don't have any 'magic' solution just one that works for me and my cat.

I drive an Escape and when travelling with 'Bobby', the backseats are down and he is in a large animal carrier with his food, water and litter box (a plastic dish pan). He a large cat but the carrier is big enough for him to move around and contains everything he needs for comfort.

Inside the the camper, his ordinary-sized litter box is in the storage area of the street-side seat for the table. I leave the table as a bed and the cat is able to access the box through a door in the side of the bench. I put a piece of rough carpet under the box and covering the open door to try and catch litter carried out of the box bf it is tracked all over. Not fool-proof re. the kitty litter but does contain most of it and offers the cat his 'own' privacy. My camper also has an access door to this area from the outside so I can clean the box from outside which also helps to avoid smells and mess.

Bobby was already a 10 yo cat when he started travelling with me and had never worn a harness or leash. We tried them but he was obviously uncomfortable and managed to squirm out of the harness so I gave up on that idea.
I wonder if I could lay a small tarp or shower curtain in the wet bath and put litter box in there. Just take it out for quick shower if I need. I know I would have to be careful to not allow litter in the drain. The scamp 13 is so small.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
.......The scamp 13 is so small.
yea, ten feet long.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Lynn View Post
I wonder if I could lay a small tarp or shower curtain in the wet bath and put litter box in there. Just take it out for quick shower if I need. I know I would have to be careful to not allow litter in the drain. The scamp 13 is so small.
-------------------------------------------------
I don't know how well cat litter dissolves, if at all, but I believe that the 13' SCAMP shower has to depend on a pump to move shower drain water to the holding tank. That being the case, you don't want anything but water to get into the drain.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I don't know how well cat litter dissolves, if at all...
Most of it doesn't - at all. There are some specialty litters which are made of wood fiber, but the typical stuff is all mineral, and unsuitable for any septic system, but particularly for an RV's waste lines and tanks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Traveled across the US with 1 dog and 3 cats. Cats traveled in a crate when in transit in case of an accident.

DO NOT put the litter box in the shower...the litter is clumping and no matter how careful you are...you don't want to take a chance.

I personally wouldn't think of medicating my cats. They have pheromone collars that work really good for traveling. Nuturecalm 24/7 ..$20 at the vets or $10 from Petwish pros. My hellion child...wears one all the time...

We put the litter box out in the aisle/under the bed...worked great. The poop call at 1:30am wasn't so great!

Make sure they aren't near the door when you enter and exit. And most of all get them microchipped.

So yes it's doooooo able! If you have further questions...let me know
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
...the litter is clumping ...
The currently popular stuff does deliberately clump when wet to allow liquid waste to be sieved out, but the more traditional stuff and some new alternatives are just (somewhat) absorbent, and don't clump. I assume that the clumping would be the worst in a drain, but any would be bad.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

Colorado
Has anyone used the foldable cat crate/condos, that have perches and a top, so that they could have some outside time?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
We use a 25"L X 18"W X 21"H Canine Camper in which our 13-year old indoor only cat stays while we're moving. He's safer in it and also feels more secure, I think. We use a square plastic dish pan as a litter box. The Canine Camper sits on the front bench, beside the steps to the loft. It stays there all the time with the litter box. The litter has to be changed and bagged after each soiling, but I guess that's the price of traveling with the cat.
Harley is not a problem trying to get out. He won't stand for a harness, so the only time he's out is when being held. We've had him with us on three 4-6 week trips. When leaving him alone in hot weather, we leave the Fantastic Fan running and make sure he has plenty of water.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
We use a square plastic dish pan as a litter box...
The litter has to be changed and bagged after each soiling...
Another option is to use a shallow storage container with a lid, using the lid in transit. Rubbermaid's Roughneck containers are flexible and durable, so they stand up to the bumps of travel better than most clear containers and thinner-walled containers or pans.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
We have done a couple trips, only one with both dogs and both cats. The cats crawl under the seats in the car and hide most of the time while driving. The pups sleep on the back seat or sit up on the doors watching the cars go by.

When we get to our destination they all go into the camper. The cat have a few nooks and crannies around our bed they can get into. The pups plop on the cool floor under the bed or jump up and lay in the middle of the bed.

Litter box stays in the shower. We use feline pine. It gets bagged and tossed in a trash can. Food and water live under the dinette most of the time.

I am looking into converting one of the storage areas for pet uses..

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Litter box stays in the shower. We use feline pine.
That's one of the few non-mineral litter materials... it's wood. Feline Pine

They have both non-clumping (as I would expect) and clumping (a surprise to me) versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I am looking into converting one of the storage areas for pet uses..
I realize that this does not apply directly to one of our trailers, but in our motorhome I cut an access hole from the side wall of the entry steps into the adjacent under-floor storage compartment. I put a common cat door on it, and the compartment is used as the cat bathroom - it contains their litterbox, waste litter bucket, and fresh litter supply. I clean out the litterbox from outside through the convenient access door; litter never enters the RV living space.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #17

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Another option is to use a shallow storage container with a lid, using the lid in transit. Rubbermaid's Roughneck containers are flexible and durable, so they stand up to the bumps of travel better than most clear containers and thinner-walled containers or pans.
Absolutely correct.....we used a storage bin..cut a door with tin snips and used the lid during transit. The high walls are in case you have a high pee'r. The lid can be used as long as it doesn't interfere with the cat doing it's business...this keeps the dust down.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #18

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
There is a couple storage cubbies on the Egg that are hard to get to without a) picking up the bed and scooting on my bum or b) cutting an access door in the outside wall. I may still cut an access door to make one of them more useful, but the other may just be turned into a hide away for the pets.

The litter box only comes out when we shower or poop. No way am I having one of the stink bombs my cat lays wake me up!

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote