Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Gotcha, we're on the same page.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #58

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Floyd what you say is very true! I dont know if it is the same in the States but here in Canada we have a very low voter turn out of local government elections - in the 20-30% range. I personally don't understand it as local government is more often than not the ones who put in the laws that have the biggest impact on our daily lives.

Locally before anything can be built or a law changed, the local government posted notices in the paper or in the mail, on their website, posters at the local library and they willl hold an informal open house and then hold 3 formal public hearings in their chambers. People are invited to speak at all hearings and or send in a written submission. Cant tell you how many times something goes through that no one says a word on until it directly impacts them or if someone did address it prior to it becoming law, they are more often than not representing a special intreast group. The average man on the street is all to often missing from those hearings.

Actually I should correct that there are three topics that will always generate a *big* turnout and lots of written submissions from all sides in my area. Those are changes to laws further restricting the cutting of trees, locations you can moutain bike or walk your dog off leash! Which proves to me that the system in place for getting world out is working its just that the average man on the street chooses to say nothing most of the time. Go figure.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #59

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
""We are not allowed to let a car idle for more than 3 consecutive minites in a 60 minute period""
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """

Heck, many of our stop lights last longer than that and with traffic you can often sit at idle for much longer!
BTW; Without the air conditioner running my old 300 CID six cylinder truck would use less than a pint per hour at Idle, modern cars should do even better if all the claims are true.
Very true here as well - thats why they want you to turn the car off when stopped at a long light! :-)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #60

Name: Greg
Indiana
That's just goofy, At a RR xing I can see shutting off the engine but not at alight, it actually uses more gas to start it than it would to just sit there through the light cycle.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #61

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
That's just goofy, At a RR xing I can see shutting off the engine but not at alight, it actually uses more gas to start it than it would to just sit there through the light cycle.
Apparently not.

"Fuel is used only in the initial ignition of an engine that first second. Anything after that is part of the engine idling. The number varies, but if you are idling the car anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute, you are burning more fuel than is used for the initial ignition. Again, the time range is dependent on the size of the engine. Four-cylinder engines would be closer to 30 seconds, and eight cylinder engines would be closer to the one-minute limit. That means if you are going to sit still for more than a minute, it uses less fuel just to restart the engine."
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #62

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baj View Post
How long would I need to run(not driving, but just sitting idling) my TV to charge my deep cell battery up a bit?.. or will that even do anything, maybe you actually have to be driving with the rmps up...?
Hi, Baj

From the discussion, it sounds like you'd better check for any restrictions you might encounter where you're going...
I can't answer your question from my own experience- the only power draw in my trailer is lights and I rarely run my battery out before I leave a campsite.
And if I do, I use a lantern- or go to bed early!
I'm really just a tent camper that's moved "up" to a rigid, towable tent!
I think a lot depends on the output of your TV alternator, whether it has to charge your TV battery at the same time, the size of your charge line, etc.
Hopefully others more experienced than I will advise you in this department.

Francesca
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #63

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
As a famous person once said get used to it. In Europe virtually all cars automatically shutoff when at idle and it's mandatory in 2020. We'll start seeing it soon enough here, there are a few cars that already have the 'feature'.

Norm
Old 05-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #64

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As a famous person once said get used to it. In Europe virtually all cars automatically shutoff when at idle and it's mandatory in 2020. We'll start seeing it soon enough here, there are a few cars that already have the 'feature'.

Norm
Did you mean that you have heard that it will be mandatory in Europe or in the U.S. in 2020?
Either way it will not affect me as I have already sworn off of new cars due to mandatory features which are both arbitrary and dangerous, foisted on us by people who would not know a "dipstick" if they saw one... even if they ARE related.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #65

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Did you mean that you have heard that it will be mandatory in Europe or in the U.S. in 2020?
Either way it will not affect me as I have already sworn off of new cars due to mandatory features which are both arbitrary and dangerous, foisted on us by people who would not know a "dipstick" if they saw one... even if they ARE related.
Mandatory in Europe. Our politicians are fond of copy cat laws plus all cars for Europe will be that way.

Norm
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #66

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Here in Colorado the Puffer Law pertains more to people being with the vehicle. You can not let a car idle unattended. AT ALL! People get tickets for it all the time here. You have to be within the vehicle. So allowing your window's time to defrost is ok, it's just letting your car warm up all alone is a huge no no.......... Guess they figure if your sitting in it, you won't let it idle as long as you would if you start it and let it run for long periods of time.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #67

Indiana
So much for sitting at the breakfast table and hitting the auto start button.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #68

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2000 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Just curious.... Which mandatory features are you talking about that are arbitrary & dangerous?
2010 Nissan Frontier CC
Dale AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #69

Indiana
I'm not answering for Floyd, but I looked at a KIA once at the Kia store and they MAKE you BUY at an additional cost this little gizmo that you MUST pass your key over to start the car. Now I don't think it was a security device because , who wants to steal a Kia? I believe it was more of a tracking device so they could find it when you stopped paying for it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #70

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
who wants to steal a Kia?
.............................................Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01237.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	35880

Don't make me come over there....

Francesca