tire blowouts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Carol, I only put this out there because the majority of the rigs Ive seen with a blowout took the plumbing with it. Almost like the tire was angry with ABS
LOL Well in my trailers case it does have the sink and hot & fresh water tank on one side and the fridge/stove and bathroom on the other but I don't normally travel with water in the tanks and when I have had the axle weighed it does come out slightly heavier on the bathroom side. In the case of both tire losses neither was a blow out as I noticed the problem before they blow apart. I could see though if a really good blow out happened and if it went through the wheel well it would indeed blow out the hot water tank, city water connections etc.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Addressing the "Logan's Run" method of tire maintenance....
Assuming for the moment that most tire failures are the result of age, say five years then KABOOM!.
Why then is the solution to simply dispose of all these tires into landfills with 70% tread?
Why then has there been no demand or outcry for a better product?

The industry standard is a somewhat more reasonable ten years for carcass life before they refuse to remount.

I maintain that proper tire maintenance (pressures,and inspections) is far more valuable than holding a purchase receipt in one hand and a calendar in the other, then comparing one against the other.

The chance of longevity alone causing a catastrophic tire failure in the first ten years is no more likely than buying a defective carcass and experiencing a similar failure right away.

One more question...
What percentage of tire failures which are now blamed on age are really the result of low pressure or road hazard?
No one can say for sure... so better check the condition and pressure, as well as the age of the tires, of every bandwagon on which you choose to jump. (also the "gravitas" of the other passengers!)

Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this but has anyone ever noticed that when a tire comes apart it's always on the plumbing side ? Besides a tire it takes out all the black/gray water plumbing with it ? From the ones I've seen happen it's about 90% on the plumbing side, from bad to worse. Just tossing this out there.
It boils down to the use of ST trailer tires. There is a good chance that if you use them it's only a mater of time til you see the s*** fly.

Sorry. couldn't resist.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

One more question...
What percentage of tire failures which are now blamed on age are really the result of low pressure or road hazard?
No one can say for sure... so better check the condition and pressure, as well as the age of the tires, of every bandwagon on which you choose to jump. (also the "gravitas" of the other passengers!)
Floyd you raise valid points. I also think one of the questions should be how long has the trailer sat unused either in the hot sun or in a damp climate. I know that I do check the pressure on the trailer tires before every trip as well as while on the trip. I have them balanced and they seem to wear evenly... yet I had one of less than 4 years start to fail apart.... you could see it between the treads... no road hazards involved.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
No, no, no, the answer is for tire manufacturers to put less tread on ST tires so they do wear out in 5 years and you aren't throwing out good tread. LOL

Seriously, the average vehicle in CA is driven about 15,000 miles a year, meaning that a casing life of 5 years should be adequate. RV trailer tires are just an anomaly in the tire world.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our secret to getting miles out of our tires is to travel about 8 months a year, a solution we very happily live with.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our rear Honda CRV tires cold pressure is set at 39 PSI; the trailer tires are set at 50 PSI. We set the low pressure alarm at 35 PSI.
An "alarm" set for 35psi is suicidally low for a tire that's meant to be run at 50.

It's a lucky thing you check the tires before setting out each day!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
It's not suicidal. The value of each tire is continually displayed on a display right on my dash. I see the tire pressures while I drive. I rarely physically measure my pressures, only when adjusting them for time or temperature. For example moving from FL to NL can require adjusting the cold tire pressure.

With traditional built in tire pressure system pressure is probably only displayed on low or high temperature. Mine are continually displayed. Also I believe most built in tire sensors do not display temperature, a secondary benefit of Tyre Dog.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Floyd you raise valid points. I also think one of the questions should be how long has the trailer sat unused either in the hot sun or in a damp climate. I know that I do check the pressure on the trailer tires before every trip as well as while on the trip. I have them balanced and they seem to wear evenly... yet I had one of less than 4 years start to fail apart.... you could see it between the treads... no road hazards involved.
The only tire which I have replaced for carcass defects in the last couple of decades was still under warranty(less than a year old) I am not arguing that age is not a factor but the messages of "Logan's Run" and "Soilent Green" still ring in my ears.

Bob:
I don't know where the 5year or the 3year limits came from, but I guess if you ain't wearing you trailer tires out in under ten years you just ain't traveling enough!