Tire chains - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bob. Glad you got home fine. Yes, snow plows and such are in short supply here in Portland, Oregon. We're used to our snow coming in liquid form! Nearly 20 inches of the frozen stuff was more than we've ever received in such a short period of time in recorded history. Trust me, we're all hoping this was a once in a century event, rather than something we may have to look forward to every year due to global warming.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 AM   #22

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Bob, so sorry to hear about Frosty.

As far as chains go, we have way too many people out here that have 4x4's and don't slow down in snow conditions.
When I-80 was re-done many years ago it was to be an all weather road and never close. Ha Ha, they close it at least once every year and usually more. I am of the opinion it's because of the people that insist on driving 60, 70 or 80 in snow conditions.

I was watching Fox News last week when the storms were going through. They had this reporter up at Blue Canyon, which is a place they always broadcast from when there is snow falling. Any way, she was standing there talking about the snow when, Zoom, behind her went an SUV that must have been going at least 55 to 60 mph. She turned and made a comment about the vehicle going so fast. She no more than said it when Zoom there went another. She was really startled by the speed of the vehicles considering the road conditions. I simply said to the TV and the reporter, "Well, that's why the road gets closed so often".
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:45 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... It's snowing like all get out here in south wet Ont. right now!!! Our friends in Ind.& Mich. sent it over so we wouldn't feel left out!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:50 AM   #24

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
The latest buzz around Arnold: Apparently some folks with 4-wheel drive skirted around the chain control traffic stop and were chased down by the CHP. The fine for this and not having chains was $450. There is either a change in enforcement policy or a "by the book" rookie CHP officer!

Arnold is at 4000' elevation. The chain control stop is often set up just beyond Arnold, but may be above or below, depending on how cold the winter storm conditions (snow line). The highway is steep and curvy, leading to The Bear Valley Ski Area as well as several snow play areas around 7000' elevation. There was a series of very cold storms around Christmas as well as the week week before. The number of accidents during storms and the subsequent icy conditions is incredible!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
What are "tire chains?"
Don't be so smug. There are plenty of places in AZ that have snow:

http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=AZ

My cousin lived in Bisbee and told me he had snow one morning.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

The State of Washington has three conditions:

a Traction advisory - oversize vehicles prohibited.

b Traction advisory - oversize vehicles prohibited. Vehicles over 10,000 GVW - chains required.

c Traction advisory - oversize vehicles prohibited. All vehicles - chains required, except all wheel drive.

This is from:

RCW 47.36.250 - Dangerous road conditions requiring special tires, chains, or traction equipment...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
"I have an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle. When "Chains Required" signs are posted, do I have to use chains?
No. All-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from chain requirements when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. See WAC 204-24-050."

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/traction.htm
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
OK - here is the truth of the matter... at least from##MY## limited perspective.

I ain't going to EVER be where I NEED chains. Nope. I used to keep a set, being in the Sacramento area, for trips up into the snow in the high Sierra when the kids were little... but now I don't even OWN a pair. Last times we went up, I realized that if you just get ready to skedaddle if it starts to get cloudy, you can be below the snow level before it becomes an issue.

I respect the folks who live in 4 season parts of the world, but gotta admit, it is NOT for me.

Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
When I was full-timing, I carried the light chains because they also have some use in mud.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Bob - we'd like to add our condolences on the passing of your furr-kid Frosty. Our pets bring so much joy to our lives and surely leave indelible paw prints on our hearts when it is time to say "adieu". Hope he will send you his choice for a new pal soon ... that's how we got our "Minnie" after losing Dave's wonderful dog.

Have to agree with Gina about 4WD over-confidence! After Dave's many years of accident investigations, we think that's often the real reason for chain requirements over Donner Pass on I-80 ... just to SLOW DOWN both passenger & commercial traffic.

We also hope to steer clear of locales where tire chains (or snow shovels, boots or ???) might be needed. Take care, all - L 'n D
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #31

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Bob, sorry to hear about your pet. We also lost 2 dogs early last spring, within a month of each other. Surprisingly, the void has been filled with a couple of kittys. Never would have thought possible. Just remember the 15 good years you gave each other. You both were pretty lucky.

No comment on the chains. Have never used them.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote