Tire chains - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
We have been hearing that the CHP recently was not allowing folks with 4 wheel drive thru chain control unless they were carrying chains. Some friends have been turned back at the Bear Valley Ski Area. So we went to Les Schwab yesterday and bought some tire chains, since we plan to go over the Siskiyou Summit this weekend. This may be a change in policy, as I've never been asked about chains in the last 16 years of owning a 4 wheel drive.

Frosty is no longer with us. Some of you may remember him wandering aimlessly around the kiosk at the Oregon Gathering. Frosty loved camping and went on every trip since we got our Casita in 2002. He has been with us since 1993 and sadly reached a point where he could no longer get up and go. We will miss the old boy. I'm going to keep his photo as my avatar, if that's OK.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Sorry to hear about your loss with Frosty.

What is it with chains anyway? Living here in Manitoba, the capital of winter (-41 C with the wind chill this morning), no one uses chains. Maybe the warmer mountain passes have wet, deep snow, but everyone here manages to get by without chains. Maybe it's the dry cold 8-) here, but lots of folks don't even use snow tires. So, is it a cultural thing, or is it different conditions? Inquiring minds want to know.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am SOOOO sorry about Frosty. As a dog person, words do not say what needs to be, or explain what is. Keep Frosty in the avatar, we all want to remember him and hope we will see him at "The Bridge" with you one day.

Tire chains..

It's not a change in California. 4wd does not get you a "pass" here, and living in a mountain area.. I appreciate the law. Don't get me started on the 4wd over confidence of someone who lives at the beach 364 days a year, and then brings thier 4wd Lexus up to ski thinking equipment is more important than skill and experience.

We have 4 "R" conditions. R1 requires chains be carried on 2wd, but not necessarily installed, R2 is chain up 2wd, R3 is carry chains in ALL vehicles, regardless of the drive train, and R4 is chains on all vehicles.. 4wd or 2....or towed.

Cam, I suspect conditions are the reason, our snow is sloppy wet and freezes, the infrastructure is poorly equipped for it (Few plows, little sand and cinder etc) No. Cal is different, it's snowy there all winter, but the central and southern passes only get hit a couple times a year and the resources to make it like your area all the time just are not there.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
So we went to Les Schwab yesterday and bought some tire chains, since we plan to go over the Siskiyou Summit this weekend.
Check with ODOT first, the weather has turned snowing and blowin' all over Oregon and it wouldn't be unusual if ODOT closed the Siskiyou's. It's not a place you want to get stranded.

"SISKIYOU SUMMIT SB REPORTING STATION
Severe Weather Hazard

Weather Condition: Snowing Hard and Continuously

Road Surface: Packed Snow

Current Chain Restrictions: Carry Chains or Traction Tires

Current Temp: 30 F

New Snow: 0 in.
Roadside Snow: 5 in.

Last Updated: 12/14/2008 07:52 am

from here: http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?m...mp;curRegion=7#
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Bob, I am very sorry to hear about Frosty. It is so hard when we lose our animals, they really are a part of the family. Hang in there.

As for chains, I was also wondering if it is a locality thing - I've never used them here in AB, and we don't see people driving with them at all. Heck, I don't even know if it would be legal to drive around with them on. Maybe just a mountain pass thing?

BTW Cam, we've go you beat this fine morning ... -43C wind chill
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
They often say 4WD has to carry chains. I always carry chains when I travel in the winter and knock on wood, have never put them on. Luckily I do know how just in case I have to!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I lied, but not on purpose. There is no R4.

California Chain laws from DMV

Quote:
Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes its a locality thing. They dont have a lot of snow clearing equpment. A lot of ski traffic is from a warmer no snow area thus, unaware that 4 wheel drive means 4 wheel slide. Living in colorado nobody used chains there either. The roads were cleared with equipment right away.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I live in the country, ie gravel roads. Unless you are on a school bus route, they don't get cleared all that often; but they do ice up. If snow depth is an issue, ie, clearance, chains don't seem like they are going to help much. I can see experience being an issue, since we have the pleasure of driving in snow at least 4-5 months of the year. (I know, I know, Why?) Maybe it's the altitude, since it's flat as a plate around here, and the bottom of the ditch is the furthest you're going to plunge. Any prairie type seen the mountain pass conditions that require chains? What's your analysis?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
we've go you beat this fine morning ... -43C wind chill
Just in case any one is interested -40 is where the temperatures meet. -40 is just as cold in the USA as it is in Canada.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Sorry to hear about Frosty, Bob. Sounds like he was a good dog.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks to all for the info and kind words. I should have said we will be doing the Siskiyou Summit next weekend, sans trailer. Maybe conditions will be a little better then. Our motto: "Dress in layers, wear sturdy shoes and carry chains!" ;-)
Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Bob, sorry to hear about Frosty as well. My condolences.

Rog
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Bob, I am very sorry to hear about Frosty. It is so hard when we lose our animals, they really are a part of the family. Hang in there.

As for chains, I was also wondering if it is a locality thing - I've never used them here in AB, and we don't see people driving with them at all. Heck, I don't even know if it would be legal to drive around with them on. Maybe just a mountain pass thing?

BTW Cam, we've go you beat this fine morning ... -43C wind chill
What was your air temp this am? We hit -20 air temp...plus wind chill! ouch!
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
What are "tire chains?"
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
Quote:
What are "tire chains?"
A reminder of why I moved to Arizona 30 years ago
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Greg - I think that if you live in a bad part of town, that is what you use to keep from getting them pinched by the bad guys.

Quote:
What are "tire chains?"
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
What are "tire chains?"
Greg,

I think it is a chain that lets you wear a tire around your neck.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #19

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Well, now, Morgan.... I have CERTAINLY heard of the 'ole "Ball and Chain", and when we lived in the country we had neighbors who chained a goat to a big railroad tie (no need for a fence, that way... the goat COULD get around for grazing, but getting "away" was too much work) - bit I have never seen tires as fashion accessories. Could work, I suppose. mebbe it's a "hip-hop" thang? Dunno.

Quote:
Greg,

I think it is a chain that lets you wear a tire around your neck.
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #20

Registry
We got back from the Portland Area yesterday. It was quite an adventure, with record snow and all. There seemed to be a shortage of snowplows and snow shovels, compared to what we are used to. We carried our chains, but didn't put them on.