Tire size? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Posts: 62
Tire size?

Is it better in general to have 14 inch tires vs 13 on an rv?

15 foot rv, about 2400 lbs loaded?
__________________

__________________
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 21
Is it better in general to have 14 inch tires vs 13 on an rv?

15 foot rv, about 2400 lbs loaded?

I believe most people opt for the larger tire and wheel sizes.

Mike
__________________

__________________
Michael W A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Member
 
Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W A View Post
Is it better in general to have 14 inch tires vs 13 on an rv?

15 foot rv, about 2400 lbs loaded?

I believe most people opt for the larger tire and wheel sizes.

Mike
Yes, you are right -- people have a preference there. Just wondering if there is a reason why...
__________________
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 21
Yes, you are right -- people have a preference there. Just wondering if there is a reason why...

Generally the larger sizes have greater carrying capacity and perhaps a wider selection of tire brands available. Tires and their failures cause many an issue with trailers.

Mike
__________________
Michael W A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeelightsey View Post
Yes, you are right -- people have a preference there. Just wondering if there is a reason why...
Tires are rated for their abilty to support a load in pounds. Generally the larger the diameter, the larger the load that can be supported.

For example, the best 13 inch Goodyear Marathon is rated to support 1480 pounds at maximum inflation per tire.

The best 14 inch Goodyear Marathon is rated to support 1870 pounds at maximum inflation per tire.

Larger tires simply provide more margin and is the reason some people go up one size.

Hope this helps,

Norm
__________________
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
The larger tire also makes less revolutions per mile. 15" tow tires and 13" trailer tires,
think of a Great Dane and a Wiener dog in a foot race.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Member
 
Name: Aimee
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Posts: 62
Thanks for the info!
__________________
aimeelightsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking I resemble that remark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
think of a Great Dane and a Wiener dog in a foot race.
I have dual axles with 12" tires. I like that Wiener Dog analogy!
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
I have three Wieners and a Great Dane so it was easy.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Victor Benz's Avatar
 
Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Posts: 361
Registry
Remember, the 12", 13", or 14" being quoted is the diameter of the rim, not the tire. What is as, or more important, is the tire profile itself; the distance from the rim bead to the tread. It is possible to have a 14" rim with a very low profile tire that has a smaller "tread" diameter than a 12" rim with a high profile tire.

Generally, a larger "tread" diameter is preferable because:
  1. higher load rating
  2. more tread to wear per mile travelled
  3. lower rpm, meaning wheel bearings should last longer.
Of course, this assumes the larger tire will fit within the wheel well. As Frederick says, our Fiber Streams have 12 " rims. Having said that, the tires do have a high profile. We cannot really put in a higher profile because the spacing between the two axles is quite limited!

Vic
__________________
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1980 Burro
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
Remember, the 12", 13", or 14" being quoted is the diameter of the rim, not the tire. What is as, or more important, is the tire profile itself; the distance from the rim bead to the tread. It is possible to have a 14" rim with a very low profile tire that has a smaller "tread" diameter than a 12" rim with a high profile tire.

Generally, a larger "tread" diameter is preferable because:
  1. higher load rating
  2. more tread to wear per mile travelled
  3. lower rpm, meaning wheel bearings should last longer.
Of course, this assumes the larger tire will fit within the wheel well. As Frederick says, our Fiber Streams have 12 " rims. Having said that, the tires do have a high profile. We cannot really put in a higher profile because the spacing between the two axles is quite limited!

Vic
If all other things are equal, a higher profile tire will be more susceptible to trailer sway.
__________________
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
If all other things are equal, a higher profile tire will be more susceptible to trailer sway.
Is this because it increases the ground clearance, changing the center of gravity and air flow around the trailer? Raz
__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1980 Burro
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Is this because it increases the ground clearance, changing the center of gravity and air flow around the trailer? Raz
No, I said if all other things are equal, (not a larger diameter tire, just a taller tire sidewall) so the trailer would not be any higher. It is because the tire sidewall is taller and can flex more. If there are 2 tires of the same diameter and side wall thickness, and one uses a 13" rim and the other uses a 15" rim, the 13" rim tire can flex side to side more than the 15" rim tire.
__________________
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #14
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
No, I said if all other things are equal, (not a larger diameter tire, just a taller tire sidewall) so the trailer would not be any higher. It is because the tire sidewall is taller and can flex more. If there are 2 tires of the same diameter and side wall thickness, and one uses a 13" rim and the other uses a 15" rim, the 13" rim tire can flex side to side more than the 15" rim tire.
This is new stuff to me. Most folks talk about going from say a 13" to a 14" tire to gain ground clearance. What you are saying is that another reason might be to reduce sway. One could get a larger rim and smaller profile tire and the diameter would be the same so the tire would fit in the same wheel well.
__________________

__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Size Pat C Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 04-08-2010 10:46 PM
Scamp 19' tire size? Randya General Chat 15 06-11-2009 05:54 PM
scamp 13 tire size jmacchi Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 04-12-2009 07:21 PM
Tire Size for Trillium Barry Konkin Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 03-10-2009 12:22 PM
Boler tire size? Cory K Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 05-13-2007 12:49 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.