Tired. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFamily View Post
I'm guessing, based on the length of your search, the you only want a Scamp and that you want a specific floor plan. Otherwise, right now here in So Cal a 1980 Trillium 13 just went up for sale on CL and there is also a Perris Pacer on CL, as well as a 17' Burro.

Ewwwww a Burro? Now those are cool...............

I also saw a Casita in Reno today.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #16

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
Looked for 3 years saw alot of junk for a lot of doe but i found 1 im happy now

Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Another vote for possibly buying new if you are at all in a circumstance to do so. They hold their value so well (and interest rates on any savings so poor anyway) that "parking" some cash as an investment in a scamp until you later sell it some day isn't that bad a deal.

Unless you're trying to find the sub $2000 project Scamp of course and trade a lot of sweat equity (which can also be fun and challenging of course). I owned a 1976 S2 sailboat for a decade and had a lot of fun with it. Solid it for $400 more than I paid a decade earlier.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #18

Trailer: gave up!!
California
I just want to say thanks to all who have responded with encouragement and advice. Yes, at this point I am only interested in a Scamp, so that does narrow my choices. I am willing to travel some for one, but then that has to be figured into the cost so the closer to California the better.

John - Last summer I had finally saved enough that I was prepared to place my order for a new one, and my TV went poof. So that ended that. On a happy note my father did end up selling me his 4Runner for practically nothing though!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #19

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
Hey John: It took us two years here in Southern Ontario, and then the one we got, which is perfect, wasn't even for sale. We always stopped and asked when we saw one with grass growing up around it. Bingo! The third one we saw, we had an awful time catching the people home. We finally had to talk to their neighbours, gave them our number, and the owners called us. We went over right away and did the deal. They had a newer 5th wheel and hadn't even thought anybody might want it!!!!!!
So you never know. Our son found his out behind a barn and it too wasn't marked "for sale".
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1981 13' Burro project/ 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab
Minnesota
Registry
We searched a while for the Casita we wanted and it was well worth the wait, settling for something that is not what you wanted will not make you a happy camper. But just a thought Scamps and Casita models are very much alike? Good luckon your quest.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #21

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
I had read enough here to know these things go fast.

I had cash and time.

I called one five or six units, waited to talk with my wife and then called back the next day....sold sold sold.....so I learned these things sell within hours of the adds being posted....unless they are total wrecks!!!!!

I got lucky with an add that had left off the contact info.....did some detective work and got an email....next morning, Thursday I got a return email with phone number... bingo!!!!!

The sellers were wonderful, honest and willing to hold the trailer for a day while we drove 550 miles to pick it up.....kind of felt bad for the guy who planed to drive out to look at it on Sat morning.

The sellers did get their number on the add after talking with me and said they had over 30 calls within 24 hours one after 11 pm....even had many calls while we were there picking it up.

When I asked about the tires and bearings and told the seller how far we needed to drive, he packed the bearings for us....what a great blessing that was having a little peace of mind!!!!

I did not talk price over the phone and after seeing the great condition of the Burro I never offered a lower than asked price....they did knock off $100 when I handed them cash...told us to dine out!!!!

Do not think we will be selling any time soon, but it is good to know selling will be easy....lol

So far I'm getting the feeling that these little eggs must attract a special type of people.....very friendly......not snobbish...lol

Del
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by papas34 View Post
So far I'm getting the feeling that these little eggs must attract a special type of people.....very friendly......not snobbish...lol

Del
I would agree completely. Look how many nice folks posted advice, and offered their stories about what it took to finally get one. I admit I have been doing most of the things people have suggested.. So I do feel better about the wait. I was beginning to think I was doing something seriously wrong.
Again, thanks everyone.

.......or maybe my whole problem is just the 80's teen in me who still wants instant gratification!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #23

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminbuddha
We were on Vancouver Island last summer, and counted 3 Bolers that were parked out in the fields, looked like they were unused, unloved, under appreciated..Point being, they're out there, gems waiting to be dug up...
I live on VI, we have a lot sitting in fields...we have asked about most of them, I'm sure, in our own search, and the ones sitting driveways, looking ignored & abandoned.

Each & every time the people told us they get offers frequently (one said once a week) and are just....hoarding...ahem, keeping them for, let's see, a spare bedroom, a racing workshop for his friend, a memento etc.....it was honestly the most frustrating part of our search! There is my rant (sorry!) We ended up buying one from a Used Stuff website.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
I live on VI, we have a lot sitting in fields...we have asked about most of them, I'm sure, in our own search, and the ones sitting driveways, looking ignored & abandoned.

Each & every time the people told us they get offers frequently (one said once a week) and are just....hoarding...ahem, keeping them for, let's see, a spare bedroom, a racing workshop for his friend, a memento etc.....it was honestly the most frustrating part of our search! There is my rant (sorry!) We ended up buying one from a Used Stuff website.
I know how you feel. I once saw a 16' Deluxe that had been hacked and mostly gutted so it could be used as a garden shed for the mower, etc....
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #25

Name: del
Trailer: 1980 13' Burro
Utah
Here is something interesting!!!!

1987 Scamp Motorhome Camper Travel Trailer Fiberglass Camper *** NO RESERVE** 1987 Scamp Motorhome Camper Travel Trailer Fiberglass Camper *** NO RESERVE** | eBay
Old 04-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #26

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well, take your time. it will be worth the wait if you get the one you want rather then settling for something less.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #27

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
that will bring big money...it's really rare
Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #28

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
Back when the above was new, those were not called class C. There were called a micro mini and what we now call a class C were called a mini motorhome. That's being offered for sale about 25 miles from where we live.