Tired. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Tired.

I am sooooooooooooooooo tired of looking for a Scamp!!!! I just got beat out on a really nice local one again too. I'm sorry, but I just had to vent, and I would bet most of you can relate!!!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
John, How long have you been looking? I am sure you don't want to hear this, but it can take time. Hang in there...... Are you just hooked on Scamp or looking at all fiberglass options?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
John,
If looking for other than Scamp, check on Colorado Western Slope's craigslist (afew days ago) for a nice Casita. Hope you get your egg soon.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i hear you john, i searched for over a year and finaly bought new.

because of how things worked out for me i'm glad i did. both search for a year, and buy new.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hope you find your Scamp soon

...we looked for our Boler for over a year...never actually looked at one in person though, just Internet & phone calls. The first one we actually found still available to go see, we bought. They had another offer to buy and tons of calls, so I'm sure you have already heard this but, don't hesitate. We hesitated on going to look at one a few times and when we did they were always already gone. If you see one you like call right away and go see it (with money available in case it is 'the one'). The Boler we found was the right one for us though! And after all that searching we found a trailer that fit us perfectly & felt like much more of a prize because of our time spent searching. Good luck in your search!
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Egg Hunting Tip #26
Many private sellers tend to post listings in the evening. That means every night before going to bed, and every morning as soon as you get up, check all of your usual sources and be ready to call, go look and buy. Here in SoCal the life expectancy for ads for clean and even somewhat overpriced eggs, seems to be measured in hours. If the ad is more than two days old and it's not sold, it's a fixer, has seller problems, is overpriced or a combination of the three.
When looking, I check all the sources at least 6-8 times a day.
Egg Hunting Tip #27 When the seller tells you it's sold, ask if you can call back or leave a number in case the deal falls through. Sellers usually don't enjoy answering phone calls and may be willing to put you in line as a back-up buyer.
Egg Hunting Tip # 28
Never talk price on the phone. If you do, and the next caller sez right up front that they will pay full asking price, you are SOL. Haggle price based on what you find when you get there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
John, i am sorry, i feel your pain, only in our case it was all the good ones were so far away. I looked for about 6 months and finally found one a reasonable distance. Your scamp will come, now that spring is here there should be more popping up... I know it is easy for me to say to be paitient since i have mine sitting in my driveway but it will happen. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Registry
How far are you willing to travel? here's a nice one in Bismarck, ND.

MINNESOTA MADE TRAILER
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler
Arizona
hang in there..it's worth the wait...I bought a Boler , in Phoenix. On a whim, I looked at Craig's List one morning, and struck the lottery...and you can too. keep looking and good luck!

travels sketches at www.j-drawingaday.blogspot.com
screaminbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

California
I've been looking for a little over a year. I knew going in that it would take time. I had read enough on this site to know that it can take quite a while to find that special one you've been looking for. And that's okay with me, but losing out on this last one this weekend totally frustrated me. I was hoping I was going to get to go to the Nog!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #11

California
I knew you all would understand!!! But seriously, thanks for all the encouragement everyone - I've been needing it today..
Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler
Arizona
We were on Vancouver Island last summer, and counted 3 Bolers that were parked out in the fields, looked like they were unused, unloved, under appreciated..Point being, they're out there, gems waiting to be dug up...
screaminbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #13

A year? Dang, I would have had a heart attack by the end of a year!

Are you willing to go further than CA? Other brands or are you stuck on Scamp?

I think I looked for about 3 months, but honestly I had the computer attached to my body for that period of time. Like Bob suggested, I checked the sales several times a day........

As for the first one I bought (don't ask! LOL, but it was a egg so I wasn't not buying it! ). I found it 15 min after the seller posted on Craigs list.

The second (2 weeks later) and current egg I found on craigs list within the day it was posted, but because I had family that could go look at it and give me the thumbs up, I bought it that night. With out a deposit or any thing. The lady held it for a week till I could drive to Vegas to pick it up. And because one of the members here who was good at finding eggs for sale was on vacation, it slipped by without detection for a week. He came home from vacation and posted it on the referral fourm. I laughed cause when I got it home with in a few hours of him posting it, I posted SOLD to me!

So hang in there, the right one will come. But perhaps expand your search query if your in need of one asap!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #14

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
I'm guessing, based on the length of your search, the you only want a Scamp and that you want a specific floor plan. Otherwise, right now here in So Cal a 1980 Trillium 13 just went up for sale on CL and there is also a Perris Pacer on CL, as well as a 17' Burro.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFamily View Post
I'm guessing, based on the length of your search, the you only want a Scamp and that you want a specific floor plan. Otherwise, right now here in So Cal a 1980 Trillium 13 just went up for sale on CL and there is also a Perris Pacer on CL, as well as a 17' Burro.

Ewwwww a Burro? Now those are cool...............

I also saw a Casita in Reno today.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #16

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
Looked for 3 years saw alot of junk for a lot of doe but i found 1 im happy now
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 13' 2012 Scamp
Wisconsin
Another vote for possibly buying new if you are at all in a circumstance to do so. They hold their value so well (and interest rates on any savings so poor anyway) that "parking" some cash as an investment in a scamp until you later sell it some day isn't that bad a deal.

Unless you're trying to find the sub $2000 project Scamp of course and trade a lot of sweat equity (which can also be fun and challenging of course). I owned a 1976 S2 sailboat for a decade and had a lot of fun with it. Solid it for $400 more than I paid a decade earlier.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #18

California
I just want to say thanks to all who have responded with encouragement and advice. Yes, at this point I am only interested in a Scamp, so that does narrow my choices. I am willing to travel some for one, but then that has to be figured into the cost so the closer to California the better.

John - Last summer I had finally saved enough that I was prepared to place my order for a new one, and my TV went poof. So that ended that. On a happy note my father did end up selling me his 4Runner for practically nothing though!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Hey John: It took us two years here in Southern Ontario, and then the one we got, which is perfect, wasn't even for sale. We always stopped and asked when we saw one with grass growing up around it. Bingo! The third one we saw, we had an awful time catching the people home. We finally had to talk to their neighbours, gave them our number, and the owners called us. We went over right away and did the deal. They had a newer 5th wheel and hadn't even thought anybody might want it!!!!!!
So you never know. Our son found his out behind a barn and it too wasn't marked "for sale".
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #20

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
We searched a while for the Casita we wanted and it was well worth the wait, settling for something that is not what you wanted will not make you a happy camper. But just a thought Scamps and Casita models are very much alike? Good luckon your quest.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote