Tires and Health - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tires and Health

We're getting new tires for our Scamp. Since we have a set of old tires with virtually new rims I thought I'd use the rims for our new tires.

I carried a mounted tire up from the cellar. I think they weigh about 30 pounds. It made me realize that over the last 10 years of virtually full time RVing that I've lost two tires, about 60 pounds. Now I know the meaning of carrying a spare tire (s).

I wish I had that conscious thought well before we started RVing.

Better late than .....

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842...Oh dear I've only lost 1& 1/3 tires!!! People say to me " You must feel a lot better" but I just tell them "I feel a lot less".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: honda03842...Oh dear I've only lost 1& 1/3 tires!!! People say to me " You must feel a lot better" but I just tell them "I feel a lot less".
That's one I'll remember. "I feel a lot less".
Old 07-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: honda03842...People also ask if "I watch what I eat" and I say "No...my wife does"!!! LoL. It takes two to tangle.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Since I retired I have added 1 1/2 tires. I just try to remember just how small I used to be.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've also noticed that 50 pounds is heavier than it used to be, it's twice as far to the mailbox, and it's uphill both ways. I've LOST most of my spare tire however.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #7

Florida
Becoming Older

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I've also noticed that 50 pounds is heavier than it used to be, it's twice as far to the mailbox, and it's uphill both ways. I've LOST most of my spare tire however.
My mother-in-law used to say, "the golden years are not so golden". All those little, usually forgotten, injuries of our youth appear once again. Most things don't work as well as they once did.

Fortunately retirement brings more time, things don't need to be done as quickley and best of all you're always on vacation. We have now spent 70 months or so in our RVs over the last 10 years, mostly just the two of us, exploring North America like children.

I think the fun of it all, the small but regular exercise, the lack of tension and pressure has contributed to feeling better, at least in our minds. And of course we have the time to take that long walk to the mail box and spy the robin's nest in the Japenese Maple much as we might as children.

Norm.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Since I retired I have added 1 1/2 tires. I just try to remember just how small I used to be.
I think, for us, being continuously 'away' makes a real difference. This weekend, the 4th, we have a lot of visitors. For my wife that equates to a lot of cooking of big meals and deserts. That rarely happens on the road.

I'm on a little diet this month, actually a severe diet that will be modified due to company. In the diet process we figured out the calories in our daily breakfast of 1 egg, a strip of bacon, a piece of toast and a cup of coffee. It's only about 200 calories. When I was a homebody that would easily be doubled with some homefries thrown in. Not to mention the inevitable donut with coffee at work.

Interestingly the 200 calorie breakfast is really satisfying. Usually my emerging child requires a mid-morning snack, usually some blueberries or the like.

This is all a big change from our previous working lives and has been positive for us.

Good health to all,

Norm

Tags
tires