Tires/valve stems on new Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #15
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
I'm relying in part on Dan's post above, but I believe I looked this up some time ago. Even at 65psi, a 55psi tire would be closer than I'd like to see it. The 100psi stems make more sense to me, considering the cost.

I did just find this article which says 65psi, so I dunno for sure; if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time for sure!

Here's a stem source posted on Yahoo Scampers showing 65 psi, so I guess 35 is wrong.
Items that can be considered to be a safety factor when a failure occurs are usually tested to at least double the rated pressure. Even non-safety stuff is tested much higher than published specifications. An example I know of is brake lines for air brakes in trucks. A truck's air system is 120 psi, brake air lines are rated for 300 psi, we tested to 600 psi. My point is that even with a tire inflated to 55 psi you're probably a long ways from failure.

I don't know what the down side is of going to a higher rated stem, if there is any other than cost. Assuming that isn't any real down side, go to the higher rated if it will reduce concern.

My tires are rated at 35 psi max, so I'm not gonna worry.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #16
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The supplier I almost randomly picked when looking for an illustration for my earlier post listed their low-pressure stems as good for 35 PSI, which makes perfect sense to me, since that is the maximum operating pressure of the majority of passenger car tires. I'm all not not running at the ragged edge, but on the other hand we're talking about a rated normal working pressure, not a "one more PSI and it will explode" failure point. I'm not worried about the valve stems in my cars, but I think this discussion is a good tip to ask about the stems when having higher pressure tires mounted.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

scamp, tires