Titer Test----for dog owners only! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
"What's a Titer test?," you ask.
That's what I wondered too!

When I took our two dogs (a Siberian Huskie and an Alaskan Klee Kai) in a couple of weeks ago for their annual distemper and parvovirus updates, our vet recommended that we consider a "Titer" test instead, which is a blood test to check whether our dogs' immune defenses were already adequate, thus avoiding another chemical shot. (I'd never heard of a Titer test before.) A few days later a national lab returned the results and now we have a certificate stating the positive conclusion. All of our local kennels accept this test in lieu of having a shot certificate.

We appreciated this, because we prefer not to over-medicate, but do what is recommended for optimum health, and perhaps a longer life, for loved dogs. The tests are not inexpensive, several times more than the vaccination would have been, but well worth it, IMO.

This spring we'll be traveling a la Casita in and around southern California for a month or longer and there may be several occasions when we'll prefer to board our dogs for a night or two. We hope California kennels are as receptive to this test as Colorado kennels are. (We do have some contacts where we used to live in southern California and I'll be calling those places.)

You cannot take this method with rabies shots--they're mandated by law in most states. And you still need boardatella shots if you're going to board your dogs. By the way, they're now doing Titer tests on humans to avoid some of their vaccinations.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone here had specific experience with the acceptance of Titer tests by southern California kennels?

If your pets are due for vaccinations, here's an interesting article about the Titer test:

http://www.mountainsidedesigns.com/titer_test.htm
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa F
thanks for the info... I don't get Tonka's shots every year, so this is a great alternative to still get her groomed.

Since they currently give these vacs every year is the titer good for the pet's life?

Being in the health care industry I've had to get titers for hepatitis B, chicken pox etc. Since these vacs are not given every year or every so many years the titers are for life... just wondering how long the titers are good for for our pets? if they are good for life why do vets give the pets these shots every year???

I've read many articles against vaccinating pets every year, but than it is hard to board (which Tonka hasn't ever been), take them to doggie day care, or get groomed. I've also read of pets getting cancer b/c of over medicating

hmmm...

thanks again!
Lisa F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Will the county (Or city) accept these when licensing?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Will the county (Or city) accept these when licensing?
Here, the county only requires Rabies vaccination. When we lived in San Diego county, the same was true. However dogs should be protected from distemper and parvo, whether or not the jurisdiction requires it. Those can be deadly diseases.

We only immunize for boardatella (kennel cough) if we know we have to board them. As you know the boardatella vax is "supposedly" good for "only" six months. For optimum results, it's recommended to have that shot two weeks prior to boarding---and that's the only time our dogs ever get that shot. (A groomer may require that, too, but our dogs wouldn't put up with a groomer.)
Old 04-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
but our dogs wouldn't put up with a groomer.)
Ha, with tongue in cheek. I'm the groomer, and not too often either. When we first got arctic dogs, they told me they only shed twice a year. Great!

But what they didn't tell me was that each shedding season is six months long.

True! But we still love 'em.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #6

Registry
Her, it's all 3 (Rabies, distemper, parvo)

Having lost 2 pups to parvo.. years apart, I won't risk it by NOT vacinating.. even tho both pups were already. (Doesn't always take)
Old 04-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Since they currently give these vacs every year is the titer good for the pet's life?
Lisa, as I understood it, I will have to have the tests done every year.

Wouldn't it be nice if that weren't true and they could be good for life.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Lisa, as I understood it, I will have to have the tests done every year.

Wouldn't it be nice if that weren't true and they could be good for life.

I will have to check out the article when I have time... I think titers are worth it for not over vaccinating pets
Yes, it would be nice if it good for life.

My next assignment is in N. Cali... I am having to get the titer for chicken pox (isn't a diagnosis for shingles enough?

Lisa does not like needles or blood
Old 04-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Lisa,

You don't catch shingles from someone else. The virus is a holdover from when you had chickenpox as a child. I hate to say this, but it's sort of a geezer disease (you don't look that old). What place in CA are you going to work in?
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Lisa,

You don't catch shingles from someone else. The virus is a holdover from when you had chickenpox as a child. I hate to say this, but it's sort of a geezer disease (you don't look that old). What place in CA are you going to work in?

Right! People can't get shingles from someone else, but what someone can get is chicken pox from someone with shingles.... and that is only IF 1. someone hasn't had chicken pox 2. They have not had a vaccine for chicken pox 3. The shingles are in a certain stage where the "bumps" have ruptured per say and than that person (most likely baby) comes in contact with the particles from the ruptured area..... So, working in a hospital (and with babies) I got booted out my last week of my last assignment (in TX). A little over kill? I think so It was (still is some) on my leg

It is a myth it is a geezer disease (since having shingles I have met MANY people that had it in high school and in there twenties... it is from being run down/stressed out and one's immunity is low... a very small % of people get it again (I hope I am not one of them)

I am going to be working an hour east of San Fran... Walnut something
Hopefully, they won't work my booty off and I can get some nice hiking/wine tasting at Napa in

As far as titers go... for some reason, California is the only state I've encountered that require titers for chicken pox and something else... I should not have to get the titer because I was just diagnosed with shingles.... which means I've had chicken pox (but they are not going for that I have to get the titer

Some of Tonka's shots are due (and she is going with me to Cali) I love the idea of titers to possible avoid some of the shots... I am going to see which vet does them in Ga and get it done before my trip! I will probably have her in doggie "play" care 2-3 days a week in Cali

btw George: I think you have a great vet to recommend this... you hear about so many crooked vets, it's nice to hear about one that cares for his/her "clients" and stays up to date on their care!
Old 04-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #11

Registry
My children are getting boarded next week. I will ask the vet about the Ca. requirements.. tho.. as I mentioned, here it is by county and city code.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Lisa,

Well, there's Walnut Creek (upscale) and Walnut Grove, where the TV transmitters are. I get heartburn taking Frosty in every year for immunizations--he's 13. So far no exceptions, although Rabies is every other year. As for shingles, I'm 64 and knocking on wood. One of my high school classmates has it. Very unpleasant!!!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I'll try not to get (too) started on the whole vaccination of pets issue since this is a trailer board. Cats and dogs don't usually "need" any more vaccinations after they have a successful puppy/kitten series. Vaccinations are a way for vets to makes tons of money and get you in for the yearly check ups. Over vaccination can lead to problems most vets won't even tell you about because it hurts their gravy train. Titers are a good way to check immunization response. Most titer testing is done through Hemopet here in So Cal., tho' now there are several labs that can run the tests.

As far as I know rabies is the only required by law vaccine in California. And no, titers will not work for licensing requirements. More and more obedience classes, grooming and boarding facilities are accepting titer results as proof of adequate protection.

I have tons of links if people are interested...or just do a google seach for vaccination protocal and titer testing.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Before Lily found me, I checked extensively with different breeders and dog organizatons etc. What I found is that Parvo is very prevalent in Southern California. I was advised not to get a puppy or dog from So. Ca.

Parvo has spread evidently from all the puppies and dogs that have been brought into Ca. from other countries, such as Mexico. Puppy mills and all that. Some say to be very careful in AZ as well.

I can tell you that if I were to ever go to So. Ca. I'd never board Lily. And I'd be very careful of her contact with other dogs. I wouldn't want to run the risk.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote