Waiting to Pick Up a Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Waiting to Pick Up a Trailer

Sorry, but I can't seem to delete or change the original title to this posting. This has nothing to do with title or license!

(Moderator's note: Thread title changed per original poster's request.)

OK, sitting here thinking about our Bigfoot Silver Cloud that we'll be picking up April 18 in Oregon. Many of you order trailers and wait several months for delivery. How do you spend the waiting time: Joining associated online clubs? Planning trips? Buying related stuff like hats, stickers, etc. with the trailer logo? As you can guess, I'm trying to make the time go faster!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Watching Football and drinking beer.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Planning trips.
Creating friendships on forums and facebook.
Learning more about the trailer and possible mods from those friends.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Search the following websites and get an education on travel trailers and places to camp and tour.

rvtravel.com
rv.net
Do it yourself RV

Various state sites...search under campgrounds...most offer free campground directories just for the asking...also get state tourist information packets from any state you might visit.

Google RV Camping and start the journey in information land.
The time will fly while you are doing research.

When your travel trailer arrives you will be well informed and ready to roll.
Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Always good to peruse the relevant brand forums for ideas, modifications, problem fixes, and campground comments. If you're picking up in Oregon in April you may want to make online campground reservations soon. They go fast here!

Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #6

Name: kacey
Trailer: Former scamp owner
Wisconsin
Getting ready

While our renovations were underway my dining room table became staging area for supplies ( i try to think of everything)...then i joined escapees, scampers, fiberglassrv, got the geezer pass and studied lots of photos (had never seen a fiver with exactly my floorplan) and got ready to retire and snowbird. One month in we have added a state pass for TX which saves lots of $$$. Just an observation: state and national parks are more affordable and beautiful but independents serm to have a more gregarious clientel.
cchandka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Figure out how to watch Outlander while we travel!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Shop Camping World. You may even want to go ahead and get yer membership. But they'll usually give you a $25 certificate for one night's free camping. May have to watch out for expiration dates...but you'll definitely want to visit and pay the membership for one year at least eventually. It's fun.

We also rode around and scouted a BUNCH of camp grounds. Most will let you ride through. It's fun to not only check out the CG's, but just look at all the campers there. We still do that occasionally if we're in a new area (unexplored ).

I still work...so I was very busy in the few months leading up to our Scamp purchase. We ordered it in Jan and picked up in April. Not too bad.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

North Carolina
I discovered that anything you find on Camping World's website can be obtained for a lot less on Amazon. If you don't shop Amazon check it out for camping supplies and even trailer repair parts...they have an amazing selection at the lowest prices anywhere.

For campground discounts consider a RV membership in AAA auto club...discounts on campgrounds plus towing if you breakdown...free campground directories...free maps...free trip routing services...all stuff we campers can use....worth the cost.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions! We are both still working full time, so that does keep us occupied most of the time, but there are still those moments of "I wonder what else I can get for my new rig?" Of course, we know that it will need some interior updating from the 1980s decorations and colors, so my DW is planning for that while I look at sewer hoses, screen houses, etc. And I did make campground reservations for the trip back from Oregon to Illinois. There are KOAs along the road all the way (we like them!), so we know where we'll be staying and a general notion of the amenities. We plan on taking 4.5 days on the way home, but we won't have time to stop much for site-seeing this time. We'll get back out West in the coming years since retirement is only 4 years away!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:43 PM   #11

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Kevin, I'd suggest you get your hands on an owner's manual or otherwise figure out the configuration of the electrical system (where the 110V AC breakers and 12V DC fuses are located and what does each control, etc.) and water system (where is the water heater and how does it work, where is the water pump located, how to fill, flush, disinfect, and drain everything, etc.). Then head to WalMart and buy an electrical adapter (30 amp to 10 amp, just in case) and an in-line charcoal water filter, water pressure regulator, 25' garden hose dedicated to potable water, a garden hose "Y" splitter so you can have both outside and inside water hooked up at the same time, etc. Then you'll probably want to go ahead and get some locks to secure your camper while hitched and locks to secure your camper while not hitched. Oh, and don't forget to pick up a few rolls of special RV toilet paper ahead of time and figure out some way to keep a roll of paper towels handy but out of the way and secured. Last, but not least, make sure you have a note pad and pen ahead of time, so when you go camping the first time, you can jot down all the things you forgot to get for your first trip. Maybe it's just us, but something we use a lot is an electric tea kettle to quickly make piping hot water for coffee/tea, instant hot breakfast cereals, instant soups, etc. So that might give you something else to check into while you wait - or not.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #12

Name: LucyKay
Trailer: Casita
Texas
All of the above and a good wine!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
One thing I am thinking about a lot is what to do with 2 campers. Do we get all new sets of pans, dishes, silverware, coffeepot or will they need to be changed between campers every time we take one or the other. That will be a real pain, since we have to store the Bigfoot away from home. I think for the time being, we will make do with some from the house, since I just bought all new for the house kitchen, and they are melmac to make things as light as possible for my hand disability. And, since my birthday is coming up (I will be 39 .), I will ask for the smallest Keurig, since coffee pots are getting to be heavy for my hands.

And I have plenty of wine openers

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #14

Thanks, again! I have some of the suggested items already, but will need more. I also have a Bigfoot manual for a current 25', but can't seem to find one for the Silver Cloud. Maybe we'll be lucky and find one in a drawer in the trailer when we pick it up!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
... Do we get all new sets of pans, dishes, silverware, coffeepot or will they need to be changed between campers every time we take one or the other. ... CindyL
To each, their own, but we store all of that kind of stuff in a large enclosed Rubbermaid tub in a storage room off our garage. When it's time to go camping, we just grab the tub to restock the camper. When done camping, we pull it all out of the camper, wash it all thoroughly in our home kitchen, take inventory of anything we need to replace or add, then stow it all in the tub again so it's ready to grab-and-go the next time. Works for us, but then we don't cook with a lot of big pots and pans while camping. We mostly do dry snacks or quick microwave meals so we can get back to having fun as quick as possible. If you did the same, it wouldn't matter which camper you chose to use, just grab the tub on your way to whichever camper you're headed out in. Using just one big tub, it does get a bit heavy, though, even without pots and pans, so that might not be the best option for you. Just something think about. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
One thing I am thinking about a lot is what to do with 2 campers. Do we get all new sets of pans, dishes, silverware, coffeepot or will they need to be changed between campers every time we take one or the other. That will be a real pain, since we have to store the Bigfoot away from home. I think for the time being, we will make do with some from the house, since I just bought all new for the house kitchen, and they are melmac to make things as light as possible for my hand disability. And, since my birthday is coming up (I will be 39 .), I will ask for the smallest Keurig, since coffee pots are getting to be heavy for my hands.

And I have plenty of wine openers

CindyL

Thrift shops!!! They are a great place to find gently used and sometimes brand new kitchen items to stock the second trailer with. If you go looking for something in particular one day and they do not have it go back in a few days they may have it then.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Kevin, I have the original manual and can copy it for you once we return to home base in the spring. You'll find it quite generic though, common to all the Bigfoot trailers of the period. As I recall it served for the truck camper line as well.

Lance

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
lance abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #18

Thanks, Lance. I would really appreciate having a copy.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #19

North Carolina
I find that most travel trailers come with little from the trailer manufacturer but the original complete package includes a manufacturer's owner pamphlet for each appliance in the trailer including the water heater, refrigerator, cooking appliances and electric wiring plus whatever. Everything in every travel trailer is obtained from a standard list of manufacturers supplying the RV industry. After you have owned a few different travel trailers you will notice they all use the same appliances and hardware and nothing much changes from year to year.
My first travel trailer back in 1983 had pretty much the same equipment as the trailer I own today manufactured in 2001.... The more they change the more they remain the same. The biggest innovation made in the RV industry in the last 30+ years has been the slide out (and they all seem to leak sooner or later).
Old 02-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Thanks, Lance. I would really appreciate having a copy.
Kevin there are a couple of Bigfoot Owners manual in the Documents Centre here that you can down load.

There is also a Bigfoot Owners Center Club

I also know a party who has the same trailer you are purchasing so if you want need some specific info let me know and i will see if they have it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote