To membership or to not membership - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
[b]Golden Age Passport info:

Quote:
Golden Age Passport
The Golden Age Passport is a lifetime admission and discount pass for citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are age 62 or older. The pass is valid at National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority sites with admission fees. The Golden Age Passport admits the pass owner and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle* if a park has a per vehicle entrance fee. Where a per person entrance fee is charged, the Golden Age Passport admits the pass owner, spouse, and children.

The Golden Age Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where use fees are charged, only the pass owner will be given the 50% price reduction. The Passport is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

A Golden Age Passport must be obtained in person at a federal area (National Park, Wildlife Refuge, Forest, etc.) where an entrance fee is charged. The cost of the cost of the Golden Age Passport is $10.00. It is available only to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are 62 years of age or older. You must show proof of age and residency, such as a state driver's license, birth certificate, or similar document.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I have a Golden Access Passport. Since I camp MOSTLY in Forest service campgrounds, I save significantly.

The cost is Free, just show up at a National Forest ranger station and show eligibility (Your paperwork for your handicapped placard etc) and they issue it on the spot.

The Access Passport as well as the others, also serves as an Adeventure Pass for those that require one for parking and or other uses.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have:

AAA: usually 10% discount

GOLDEN AGE: 50% at National Forests, National etc parks/campgrounds

PASSPORT AMERICA: $49 per year, 1/2 price camping at thousands of different campgrounds around the US and Canada, which do have some restrictions like the number of days, no holidays, maybe no weekends. It just depends on the campground. Any way, I rarely use mine but just going to the Fiberglas Gathering at Pahrump I get my money back. I find that most of the PA RV parks are in and around towns, some are very campgroundsy and some are very RV parky. I like the country settings. That's not to say all of the campgrounds are in cities or towns. NOTE: I went online and compared PA and Campers Choice campgrounds and found nearly the same ones participate in each group and Campers Choice membership was $49 last I looked. PA has been around longer and at the time I joined I received a discount for them because I was a Camping World member. Speaking of that, Camping World has or is associated with some new campground discount program. So if you are a Camping World member you might want to look into that one, too.

GOOD SAM: 10% discount, but you get lots of mail advertising insurance etc. if I had it to do over I wouldn't join as the AAA gives me the same discount and not a lot of advertising.

KOA: I bought into a 5 year plan and never use it. It's only a 10% discount and I've found I don't care for KOA's for the most part. Plus their prices have risen way too high. 10% of $45 is $4.50 so you pay $40.50. With Passport America 50% of $45 is $22.50. Your choice.

I think I've been asked if I have AARP at a couple of campgrounds again 10% discount and you only have to be 50 years of age to be an AARP member.

I could have missed some other card but it woud be similar to the AAA/Good Sam with 10% discount.

None of the above memberships are actual clubs with gatherings etc. They just offer discounts.

If you intend on a long trip and want hookups near towns and cities, you might want to invest in Passport America and then be sure get the Golden Age or Golden Access which ever you qualify for.

My two cents
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
None of the above memberships are actual clubs with gatherings etc. They just offer discounts.
Little correction...

[b]Good Sam considers itself an RV Club and has Rallies. They call there Big One in Redmond Oregon “Greatest RV Rally in the World”. They have around 5000 RVs show up.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Little correction...

[b]Good Sam considers itself an RV Club and has Rallies. They call there Big One in Redmond Oregon “Greatest RV Rally in the World”. They have around 5000 RVs show up.
Hmmmm. Let's about 200 Molded Fiberglass RVs in amonst 5000 bulgies, sitckies, etc. Should be interesting.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The purpose of most CG memberships is to save money at campgrounds -- Seems kind of obvious, but if the CGs in a group are where you are likely to camp, and if you camp enuf to have the savings pay for your membership (the more it costs, the more you'll need to use it to break even), then that membership is a good thing -- There have been a lot of almost scam-like memberships in the past, with people losing thousands of dollars, so it's clearly Buyer Beware.

I used PA, but found it to be more useful in the East where there weren't so many Natl Forests, etc. -- However, in the West, there seem to be a lot more places where I can use my GA card (and where I prefer to stay).

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: Casita 2000 17ft. Liberty
California
Quote:
Nice to know the Escapees are friendly in person. I left my first message on their site and didn't feel welcome at all!
When I'm travelin' through, I like WalMart, its free. Stop, eat, sleep and gone! Don't notice the surroundings so why pay for a campground?
Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #22

Trailer: HitchHiker
Quote:
[b]Escapee, is a whole different program. You get the first night free when traveling. Additional nights cost $15/night for full hook-ups. We find these to be the best in terms of “community”. They give you a hug when you show up, invite you to the evening gatherings and are just plain cheerful and friendly. We have decided to buy into the one near Yosemite, Calif.

Happy Camping,
~M
Mike,
We are fellow SKPs and have stayed at Park Sierra several times for extended stays and loved it. Coarsegold and surrounding area, not to mention Yosemite are gorgeous.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Just as an aside, the Golden Age Passport— and all the other "Golden" passports— have been discontinued. The new program is called "America the Beautiful" and seems to have the same specs for its different levels. I assume that current holders of GAPs can exchange them for the new cards at any (?) national park or other participating office. But then we all know about "assume" in combination with the gummint.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #24

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
I assume that current holders of GAPs can exchange them for the new cards at any (?) national park or other participating office. But then we all know about "assume" in combination with the gummint.
Never second guess them.

I stopped into a FS office yesterday to exchange mine for the new one.

I was told that my GAP was still valid and I did not need to exchange it for the new "Prettier" one. Both cards would be honored.

Indeed, I have made several reservations recently with the GAP and have used FS campgrounds with it without question.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Sister Topic...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=24778
Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Also, don't forget about municipal campgrounds. They normally have all the amendities and at a great price and actually in a city type park.

When we are in Williamsburg, we camp at Newport News Municipal Park - it has been nice and quiet whenever we have been there and cheap.

There are plenty of parks that are great with minimal people usage - just ask in here. Most of us are travelers and know good, quiet and maybe even cheap camping places.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #27

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Also, in Ohio, if you have a Golden Buckeye card, you can camp at State parks for 1/2 price from Sunday to Thursday.