To membership or to not membership - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Burro
Now that we are moving from being a tent camping family to a MLFRV family my mom wants us to join all these RV clubs that she and her husband are members of. We get this huge discount for joining because of their membership. They own one of those 104 foot (just joking, it is around 32 or 34 feet) 5th wheels with pull outs and pop ups and all sorts of things pulled by a Dodge Cummings dually which never driven over 45 miles an hour no matter what highway it is driven on.

Now we have never been one to camp in those sardine style camp grounds (apologies to those who do, it is just a personal taste) and the majority of these clubs are just that, so there is just no appeal to our family. Plus the added expense to maintaining the membership is a big turn off to us. Now to just try and tell mom we aren’t interested without making it seem like we are rejecting her. Sigh……

What are everyone’s personal experiences, with pros and cons to being in those clubs?
remington850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
If you are going to be traveling a lot, then Passport America, and Happy Camper Club, both offer 50% off in parks all over the country. Membership around $50 a year. It doesn't take long to recoup your investment !

I had intended to travel fulltime, and joined Coast-To-Coast, but their parks were never where I wanted to be, so I dropped it after several years. Thousand Trails is great, if you want to stay in their system, but they were never where we wanted to be, either.

I am like you, I would rather be on the beach, roaming around Big Bend, or at one of the lakes around here, or in a State or National Park, less "sardiney". There are lots of State Parks here in TX, that offer some lovely campsites, with lots of things to see, and trails explore, and I am sure that it is the same all over the country.

I don't know how you can explain that to someone, unless they have done it. Some people just want to 'stay on the grid', and go to the same old type of 'resorts'. I don't think I want to be parked right next to a 'bulgemobile', whose occupants rarely come out !!
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
With about 22,000 miles now on our UHaul, we have never found a need for 'clubbing,' because we so seldom camp in commercial campgrounds. Between state and national parks and forests, there are too many great places to camp without being squeezed between behemoths. The kind of places that give discounts to clubs are exactly the places we avoid.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
What are everyone’s personal experiences, with pros and cons to being in[b] those clubs?
IMHO. The allure of any club is it's members. I would belong to such an organization if a critical mass of people I wished to associate with were also members.
As much as I enjoy certain amenities, I could only enjoy them shared with a group of friends.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Welcome, and congrats on your new-to-you FGRV ... you will not regret your choice! We share most of the opinions already given ... generally, if a commercial CG has "resort" in its name, we keep driving. We. too, enjoy the openess of state & FS campsites, and the fact that other campers are actually 'out', doing things like hiking, exploring, fishing or swimming.

We are in our second year as Passport America members and feel that one is good value for $$$ - only one less-than-pleasing CG; the rest were great. Afraid we can't offer any 'soft' way to tell your Mom, except to explain your camping preferences while letting her know you respect her choices ... and expect the same, eh?

Wishing you many happy memories and safe journeys - hope to see ya out 'n about in the future. L 'n D
Old 09-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here's a thought for you. Wait a year or two before deciding to join any of them. If you join any now it's quite possible that it would be the ones you didn't use. After a year tally up the amount you would have saved if you were member of X group. Then decide which clubs you want to join, if any.

This is also one argument your parents shouldn't have any objection to. You can keep extending the "let's wait a while" point.

I looked very closely at several and have decided that I don't really need any, in fact it would have cost me more in club membership than saved. I did join Good Sam and I don't think I got my money's worth.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
You could join Good Sam for the roadside assistance program. The services are competative with AAA and the membership gives you the discount in Good Sam parks. This is usually in the form of a discount on camp fees at participating places.

Good Sam does not have thier own parks, they only partner with participating ones. They usually are RV parks tho, not campgrounds.

KOA is another way you might compromise with Mom. The membership is relatively cheap (30 bones? I forgot.. I'll have to look up my fees! LOL!) and *most* parks are OK. I wouldn't use them as a desination, but a stop over on long trips TO a destination.

I am a KOA and a Good Sam member and have gotten my fees back on both in services and predictable places to stay on the road.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
My parents have a membership in Advance Resorts America. They are able to pass it down to us and all we'd have to do is pick up the yearly fees. Does anyone have any experience with this one?
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Burro
Tons of information, thanks guys

I am looking into all the clubs mentioned to see if they would be a good fit but we may just not camp enough yet to justify the cost. We camp about 5 to 6 times year almost exclusively at state or national parks.
remington850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Darin,
You are wise to wait awhile. Settle into a style of RV'ing with which your family is comfortable.

Unless my wife and I are attending the occasional rally or an annual musical festival, a park is not a destination in itself, but a means to comfortably arrive at a destination. For us, a destination may be a place which has historical significance, an unusual museum or art gallery, an especially scenic route or area, a renowned shopping local for something we collect, a special entertainers performance, a part of the country where friends and/or relatives reside or possibly somewhere about which we are just curious.

Simply travelling to a camping spot or group of camping spots which are all pretty much alike seems to be a waste of a good mobile way of travel to us. Some of us wish to explore new vistas when we travel but some of us really are more comfortable renewing acguaintances at the same locations.

Try the different styles of RV'ing and then decide whether investment in a membership club fits your style. Once in a while, joining your parents will give you perspective on why they enjoy their style and also help keep them happy!

"To each his own" is especially appropriate when choosing how we RV!

Enjoy the process,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
all good replies.
we belong to passport america and resort parks international....but we have traveled extensively over the last 4-5 years. been in all of the lower 48 states at least once and many several times.
pa has paid for itself many times. not so sure about rpi.
think the best advise is to wait awhile.
Lou & Lora E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
My wife and I still work and so we need to make the most of our vacation time while traveling. It has turned out that these organizations have really been a great benefit. We try to have a “Date-Weekend” once a month.

We have several memberships.
  1. AAA Auto Club of Southern California
  2. Good Sam
  3. Passport America
  4. Escapee
AAA gives camping discounts at selected RV parks, gives us maps and other discounts. Did you know that you get 15% discount from ALL NAPA auto parts with AAA?

Good Sam gives camping discounts at selected RV parks. Also Great Roadside assistance.

Passport America gives 50% off at the participating camp grounds. We found that when we are traveling across several states and need (want) hook-ups, this one is the best. A $22per night camp costs $11. It paid for itself on our first trip to Texas. It was all a bonus on the way home.

Escapee, is a whole different program. You get the first night free when traveling. Additional nights cost $15/night for full hook-ups. We find these to be the best in terms of “community”. They give you a hug when you show up, invite you to the evening gatherings and are just plain cheerful and friendly. We have decided to buy into the one near Yosemite, Calif.

Happy Camping,
~M
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #13

Registry
There are some useful group, organizations to belong to. We're AAA members, discounts at some RV parks, maps, road side service, etc.
Good Sam (not ERS). Disounts at some RV parks, however most of the places we've seen will give discounts to either AAA or Good Sam or AARP.

The best bang for the buck for us is the Golden Age Passport at $10.00. Good for the rest of your life. No entrance fees at National Parks. 50% camping fees at Forest Service campgounds. I haven't camped in a National Park since I got mine but probably will within the next several months.

I believe the Golden Eagle Passport has the same usage fee structure. The cost is $65.00/year. If spend a lot of time in NFS and NPS places it might be worth checking into.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
The best bang for the buck for us is the Golden Age Passport at $10.00. Good for the rest of your life. No entrance fees at National Parks. 50% camping fees at Forest Service campgounds. I haven't camped in a National Park since I got mine but probably will within the next several months.
Good one Byron. I forgot about my [b]Golden Age Passport. It is a Must Have. Also, I am eligable for [b]Golden Access Passport

Quote:
[b]Golden Access Passport
Cost:
Free, lifetime.

Benefits:
Honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, US Fish & Wildlife Services, and US Army Corp of Engineers sites charging entrance or day use fees.

Admits pass owner and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle.

At per-person sites, admits cardholder, spouse, children.

Receives a 50% discount at campgrounds (does not include hookups for water/sewer/electricity), highly developed boat launches and swimming sites and for specialized interpretive services.
Validation

Lifetime pass.
[b]USDA Forest Service
[b]National Recreation Pass - Comparison

Old 09-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
[b]Golden Age Passport info:

Quote:
Golden Age Passport
The Golden Age Passport is a lifetime admission and discount pass for citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are age 62 or older. The pass is valid at National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Corps of Engineers, Fish and Wildlife Service, Forest Service, and Tennessee Valley Authority sites with admission fees. The Golden Age Passport admits the pass owner and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle* if a park has a per vehicle entrance fee. Where a per person entrance fee is charged, the Golden Age Passport admits the pass owner, spouse, and children.

The Golden Age Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where use fees are charged, only the pass owner will be given the 50% price reduction. The Passport is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

A Golden Age Passport must be obtained in person at a federal area (National Park, Wildlife Refuge, Forest, etc.) where an entrance fee is charged. The cost of the cost of the Golden Age Passport is $10.00. It is available only to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are 62 years of age or older. You must show proof of age and residency, such as a state driver's license, birth certificate, or similar document.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a Golden Access Passport. Since I camp MOSTLY in Forest service campgrounds, I save significantly.

The cost is Free, just show up at a National Forest ranger station and show eligibility (Your paperwork for your handicapped placard etc) and they issue it on the spot.

The Access Passport as well as the others, also serves as an Adeventure Pass for those that require one for parking and or other uses.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have:

AAA: usually 10% discount

GOLDEN AGE: 50% at National Forests, National etc parks/campgrounds

PASSPORT AMERICA: $49 per year, 1/2 price camping at thousands of different campgrounds around the US and Canada, which do have some restrictions like the number of days, no holidays, maybe no weekends. It just depends on the campground. Any way, I rarely use mine but just going to the Fiberglas Gathering at Pahrump I get my money back. I find that most of the PA RV parks are in and around towns, some are very campgroundsy and some are very RV parky. I like the country settings. That's not to say all of the campgrounds are in cities or towns. NOTE: I went online and compared PA and Campers Choice campgrounds and found nearly the same ones participate in each group and Campers Choice membership was $49 last I looked. PA has been around longer and at the time I joined I received a discount for them because I was a Camping World member. Speaking of that, Camping World has or is associated with some new campground discount program. So if you are a Camping World member you might want to look into that one, too.

GOOD SAM: 10% discount, but you get lots of mail advertising insurance etc. if I had it to do over I wouldn't join as the AAA gives me the same discount and not a lot of advertising.

KOA: I bought into a 5 year plan and never use it. It's only a 10% discount and I've found I don't care for KOA's for the most part. Plus their prices have risen way too high. 10% of $45 is $4.50 so you pay $40.50. With Passport America 50% of $45 is $22.50. Your choice.

I think I've been asked if I have AARP at a couple of campgrounds again 10% discount and you only have to be 50 years of age to be an AARP member.

I could have missed some other card but it woud be similar to the AAA/Good Sam with 10% discount.

None of the above memberships are actual clubs with gatherings etc. They just offer discounts.

If you intend on a long trip and want hookups near towns and cities, you might want to invest in Passport America and then be sure get the Golden Age or Golden Access which ever you qualify for.

My two cents
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #18

Quote:
None of the above memberships are actual clubs with gatherings etc. They just offer discounts.
Little correction...

[b]Good Sam considers itself an RV Club and has Rallies. They call there Big One in Redmond Oregon “Greatest RV Rally in the World”. They have around 5000 RVs show up.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Little correction...

[b]Good Sam considers itself an RV Club and has Rallies. They call there Big One in Redmond Oregon “Greatest RV Rally in the World”. They have around 5000 RVs show up.
Hmmmm. Let's about 200 Molded Fiberglass RVs in amonst 5000 bulgies, sitckies, etc. Should be interesting.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The purpose of most CG memberships is to save money at campgrounds -- Seems kind of obvious, but if the CGs in a group are where you are likely to camp, and if you camp enuf to have the savings pay for your membership (the more it costs, the more you'll need to use it to break even), then that membership is a good thing -- There have been a lot of almost scam-like memberships in the past, with people losing thousands of dollars, so it's clearly Buyer Beware.

I used PA, but found it to be more useful in the East where there weren't so many Natl Forests, etc. -- However, in the West, there seem to be a lot more places where I can use my GA card (and where I prefer to stay).

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote