Toaster oven/Microwave/Convection oven - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #15
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Not sure how young you are Gina, but here are a couple of items you might be interested in. For some reason, I think we are from the same era. These date back to my tent camping days.

Manual drip coffe makers

Portable oven

Pie Irons

And to reheat a plate of food, we use a wok with 2 sets of chopsticks holding the plate above the water (as in the picture below). Remember woks were made to cook over an open fire. It is a frypan, steamer, and stew pot all in one.
What's with all that modern stuff?

Here's the coffee pot.

It needs a piece of bailing wire for a handle. (coffee grounds removed before use) Simple to use fill 3/4 full of water, sit on the camp fire, when the water starts to boil and a few handfulls of ground coffee. Remove from the fire and let coffee ground settle. Use tin coffee cup to dip coffee from the pot. As brewed coffee is removed add water and back on the fire. When the coffee starts to taste a bit weak add more ground coffee.

A nice willow stick works well for baking, toasting bread, cooking weinners, and marshmellows.

Now go ahead roast your marshmellows in that microwave.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #16
Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
What you buy and need depends on what type of cooking you do while camping. We initially bought a convection oven/toaster oven/microwave combination for the trailer. We only used the microwave. We wanted the counter space for cooking and other things so took it out and put in a tiny microwave that hangs down from the bottom of the cabinets. It's perfect for us.

Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Do not use the microwave that came with trailer, nice place to store bread and cracker type things. Rarely have AC to run the darn thing. I will have to figure out how it works at Bandon in July
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #18
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
where did you find a microwave that small? I got me a 600 watt one that i have up in the cubbard above the friggie.. I put it on the floor when traveling tho..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #19
Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Ah, the microwave.

Our Casita has one. It came with the trailer, although it's an after market addition. It fits neatly inside the cupboard. It is the only sore point between myself and my wife on the trailer. I want to get rid of it. We've used it a grand total of one time since we got the trailer. And that was to zap some potatos that were not quite done from being baked in coals in the campfire.

If I get my way, I'm going to take it out (it's not a factory-installed option so all I have to do is lift it out). I'd rather have a toaster oven, if anything. Or just use that great space for groceries.

But Carole keeps thinking we're going to need it at some point and she doesn't want me to take it out of the trailer. I hope to prevail...but after twenty-two years of marriage I haven't won one yet.

BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote