Toaster oven/Microwave/Convection oven - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I am looking to purchase something small as my microwave is 1/2 inch to big to fit in my Casita microwave's spot.
I want something that will warm a cup of hot water, warm up left overs, cook a tv dinner and a Pizza.
What do you suggest woud be the best appliance to get?
I have never used a toaster oven. Are they practical, and what can you cook in them. I am not looking for something to cook a fancy meal in. Have you ever had them catch fire?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have both a microwave and a toaster oven in the trailer. Feel your pain about the micro not fitting. I had to take the rubber feet off the bottom (still has the metal dimples that keep it off the floor and provides air circulation) and trimmed the cabinet about 1/4 inch...also had to take the door off to scoot it in and rehung the door. I wouldn't be without my microwave and would have done just about anything to get it in it's space

The toaster oven, I don't use very often. But when I do, I'm glad I have it. Toast for breakfast and hot toasted sandwiches for lunch.

If I had to chose between the two...microwave wins hands down.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #3

Thanks Donna. I thought of taking off the door and the molding, and trying to pry that microwave in there but then if I did get it in without breaking something (mostlikely not with my repair abilities) , it would be there for good. I am thinking I will just haul the Microwave on the floor of the camper and then set it on top of the stove when camping. Most likely I would use the microwave more than the gas burners anyhow. Those toaster ovens are so much smaller than a Microwave that I thought if I could substitute one for the other I would. I don't really need toast or toasted sandwiches, but I do want that isntant warm up of leftovers and hot coffee/cocoa, etc.
thanks

Old 05-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Karlyn, I moved this to General Chat...hopefully you'll see more discussion/opinions.

I don't think a toaster oven will get hot enough to heat liquids to an acceptable drinking temperature

And yes, my microwave is now "permanent," at least until I take the door off again. The first few camping trips I tried the moving the microwave from the floor to the countertop...and it was always in the way of whatever I wanted to do. Is it possible to get an even smaller micro?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
I am looking to purchase something small as my microwave is 1/2 inch to big to fit in my Casita microwave's spot.
I want something that will warm a cup of hot water, warm up left overs, cook a tv dinner and a Pizza.
What do you suggest woud be the best appliance to get?
I have never used a toaster oven. Are they practical, and what can you cook in them. I am not looking for something to cook a fancy meal in. Have you ever had them catch fire?

I vote Cobb, good for tv dinner or pizza (about 12 inches across, takes 10 briquettes, but 15 - 20 minutes to warm up first.) Warming liquids, I would use the stove top. We rarely have shore power, though. AND if you're used to a microwave at home, nothing beats 'em!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Karalyn,

In my 5th wheel Scamp I have a combination type unit that I can microwave in and bake in. I made toast the first time out because I couldn't believe it would work. It was the best toast ever. The previous owners of the 5th wheel left it in the camper. I will try and check tomorrow night as to what brand it is. According to the directions I can bake a pizza or even muffins or a batch of brownies. I haven't tried either yet but I plan to. I like it because I have one appliance that does a little bit everything I need.

Gail
Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Karalyn, probably the best thing you could find would be a convection microwave... sort of a do-it-all unit. I don't think they toast bread tho...

I'm not sure how small you can find a convection unit though. If you go to your local big-box store you'll be amazed at the various sizes and styles of microwaves available now. I took the Sharp Carousel out of the Scamp and put it in my Bigfoot. Had to remove cabinet doors in both cases, but the oven fits fine. Take the measurements of your shelf/cabinet opening with you and find one that fits without modifying anything. My Sharp unit cost me a whole $47 last year when I bought it, but I really like the silly thing, and didn't want to have to spend time looking for a replacement.

I just have an $11 toaster for my breakfast toast. I tried a pizza in a microwave not too long ago. It was awful!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We don't have any add-in appliance, but the B1700 has an original-equipment propane range will 4-burner stovetop and an oven. As regular microwave oven users at home, with a full-sized convection oven for baking, we are re-discovering how to cook with a small regular oven. It's also my first gas oven experience, and it's incredibly short (in interior height) due to the burner assembly, but fine for pizza and whatever fits in a shallow casserole dish. I can't say that I would add one of these, but it's there and it certainly works, even without electrical power.

Despite this, my wife is determined to shoehorn a microwave oven in, and run it even on battery. So far I have resisted, but I am doomed to failure...

Liquids get hot in pots or the kettle on the stovetop, which means that nothing gets reheated, but if the coffee gets cold, I just make more!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have niether, but if I were only going to have hook ups available, my trailer would be set up very differently. A drip coffee maker would be first on my list! But...

Since most of the time I have no hook ups, all that stuff stays at home.

You can heat the new TV dinners by floating them in a shallow pan of boiling water. They heat quite nicely, albiet not as fast as a nuker. Make SURE the tray is floating.. if it sits on the bottom, you end up with a water mess.

I will rewarm my coffee in a pan.. Its camping coffee..

To toast, I put a frying pan on the stove, empty, turn on the burner, let the surface get hot.. tossing in the bread, flip when needed. Same for tortillas.

I never worry about the color. I make it black then scrape until I find the color I like

I am in the age range where I can still remember when we HAD to cook like this. At least until I was a young adult.

Roger.. you be careful!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
We toast our bread in the electric fry pan but butter the bread first and it is better than any toaster that we`ve ever owned...just have to keep an eye on it for when to flip it.....also have an aluminum griddle off a coleman stove that we sometimes use on the propane stove and lately in the 17' have been dragging a small microwave around also....never really cared for toaster ovens.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #11

Thanks Donna for moving the post to the general area. I am getting lots of replies, and the toaster oven doesn't seem to be getting a very good score. I never thought of toasting bread in a fry pan. Makes sence tho, just like toasted cheese sandwiches
I agree Donna that I could be moving that microwave from floor to counter often. I thought I bought one of the smallest microwaves made. Oh well. I really don't "need" a microwave when camping but I got this little one for only $23 at Target clearance. Was hoping it would work in the camper. Trila and error, I guess. Will see what happens.
Thanks for the replies

Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I bought a camp toast maker at Wal-Mart in the camping section for less than $2. It is a metal plate with perforations and 4 bent wire thingys that are leaned against each other at about a 30° angle. You put it on a stove burner and rest the bread on the wire stands, and it turns into toast. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but it was cheap enough that I figured it was worth a try.

They had some pretty small .6 cubic foot microwaves there for about $30 - bring a tape measure and see if one would fit. Better yet, bring your measurements and borrow a tape measure out of the hardware section!

We have both a toaster oven and a mirowave at home, and the microwave gets more use. The toaster oven is way better for some things, though, like reheating pizza or a sandwich.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I have niether, but if I were only going to have hook ups available, my trailer would be set up very differently. A drip coffee maker would be first on my list! But...

To toast, I put a frying pan on the stove, empty, turn on the burner, let the surface get hot.. tossing in the bread, flip when needed. Same for tortillas.

I am in the age range where I can still remember when we HAD to cook like this. At least until I was a young adult.
Not sure how young you are Gina, but here are a couple of items you might be interested in. For some reason, I think we are from the same era. These date back to my tent camping days.

Manual drip coffe makers

Toaster

Portable oven

Pie Irons

And to reheat a plate of food, we use a wok with 2 sets of chopsticks holding the plate above the water (as in the picture below). Remember woks were made to cook over an open fire. It is a frypan, steamer, and stew pot all in one.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
We got a Sharp 'Warm and Toasty' at WallyWorld via internet. It's a microwave toaster oven combo that was on one of the Casita Forums and recommended pretty well and importantly FIT in our 17SD Casita. It does warm ups on toaster well, toast ok and micro does popcorn real fine. Seems to be a fairly good micro(doesn't have a lot of power,takes longer)and a fair toaster but we're happy with it!
Check the Casita forums warm and toasty and you shud get some good info.
Chuck n Nancie n eggzactlyrite4us n Scoty n Bobbie
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Not sure how young you are Gina, but here are a couple of items you might be interested in. For some reason, I think we are from the same era. These date back to my tent camping days.

Manual drip coffe makers

Toaster

Portable oven

Pie Irons

And to reheat a plate of food, we use a wok with 2 sets of chopsticks holding the plate above the water (as in the picture below). Remember woks were made to cook over an open fire. It is a frypan, steamer, and stew pot all in one.
What's with all that modern stuff?

Here's the coffee pot.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

It needs a piece of bailing wire for a handle. (coffee grounds removed before use) Simple to use fill 3/4 full of water, sit on the camp fire, when the water starts to boil and a few handfulls of ground coffee. Remove from the fire and let coffee ground settle. Use tin coffee cup to dip coffee from the pot. As brewed coffee is removed add water and back on the fire. When the coffee starts to taste a bit weak add more ground coffee.

A nice willow stick works well for baking, toasting bread, cooking weinners, and marshmellows.

Now go ahead roast your marshmellows in that microwave.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
What you buy and need depends on what type of cooking you do while camping. We initially bought a convection oven/toaster oven/microwave combination for the trailer. We only used the microwave. We wanted the counter space for cooking and other things so took it out and put in a tiny microwave that hangs down from the bottom of the cabinets. It's perfect for us.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Do not use the microwave that came with trailer, nice place to store bread and cracker type things. Rarely have AC to run the darn thing. I will have to figure out how it works at Bandon in July
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #18

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Nancy..
where did you find a microwave that small? I got me a 600 watt one that i have up in the cubbard above the friggie.. I put it on the floor when traveling tho..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Ah, the microwave.

Our Casita has one. It came with the trailer, although it's an after market addition. It fits neatly inside the cupboard. It is the only sore point between myself and my wife on the trailer. I want to get rid of it. We've used it a grand total of one time since we got the trailer. And that was to zap some potatos that were not quite done from being baked in coals in the campfire.

If I get my way, I'm going to take it out (it's not a factory-installed option so all I have to do is lift it out). I'd rather have a toaster oven, if anything. Or just use that great space for groceries.

But Carole keeps thinking we're going to need it at some point and she doesn't want me to take it out of the trailer. I hope to prevail...but after twenty-two years of marriage I haven't won one yet.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #20

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
How about a solar oven for when you want to bake something? You can buy one or make your own. They seem to be available in a wide range of prices.

While my project Scamp is not to the point of having a built in microwave, in every camper I've used up to now I've had one. I'm going to modify the closet to sit a small one in the Scamp. It is probably the one appliance I will not go without.

I've also always had a crockpot, which can be used for baking as well. I've not tried it, but the cookbook has a recipe for chocolate cake!
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave