Toilet Cleaning Idea - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Toilet Cleaning Idea

I copied from another forum.
Something for those who have these kind of toilets to think about.
==========================
We keep ours loaded, beds made etc. we also keep a basic issue of clothes in it also. when it is time to hit the raod it is a quick move to add food and go. I would also suggest that when using the commode, use plenty of water. Our routine is One bowl for #1 and two full bowls for #2's. we do not use chem 's of any type anymore. Lots of water and Dawn dishwashing soap. we don't get any odors anymore. Had a problem when we went down the road we always had sewer smell. We dump our taNKS , ADD HOT WATER (ABOUT 3 GALS) ADD A CUP OF DAWN AND GO DOWN THE ROAD. iT WASHES OUT THE BLACK AND GRAY TANKS AS WE MOVE. UPON ARRIVAL AT NEW LOCATION, HOOK UP THE SEWER LINES AND DUMP. OOPS sorry for the caps. hit the wrong button. After dumping we put in fresh clean hot water. Hot water is easy to get. our shower is next to the commode. Enjoy your jayco. we love ours and use it as much as possible.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Thanks for passing on. I'll have to give it a try. Another suggestion that I've used at the end of the trip is to dump in all unused ice cubes as I take off for home. The ice helps break up the solids.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #3

NE Oklahoma
That's another good idea.
Another I read on here was using Windshield washer for antifreeze in the cassette toilets
when you winterize.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Another I read on here was using Windshield washer for antifreeze in the cassette toilets when you winterize.
But why? Proper plumbing antifreeze is more concentrated, and probably no more expensive when you consider the dilution. Windshield washer fluid is alcohol-based; plumbing antifreeze is based on alcohol or (likely more effective) propylene glycol and alcohol.

I suppose the windshield washer fluid will have some detergent, but I don't know that I want that in the water supply plumbing anyway.

Example: Recochem R.V. Plumbing Antifreeze
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

NE Oklahoma
I don't know why, just a passing comment I guess.
Maybe it smells better?............LOL
Old 03-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I find beer works better. Just need to filter it through me first.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I find beer works better. Just need to filter it through me first.
I'll drink to that!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
That's another good idea.
Another I read on here was using Windshield washer for antifreeze in the cassette toilets
when you winterize.
Hi: carlkeigley... I still like the "Geo Method". Hot water + Calgon water softener + Cascade dishwasher detergent/w bleach. Best stuff for the black tank and also the grey one. Do a google search for the complete explanation of the Geo Method's use and mixture ratio.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: carlkeigley... I still like the "Geo Method". Hot water + Calgon water softener + Cascade dishwasher detergent/w bleach. Best stuff for the black tank and also the grey one. Do a google search for the complete explanation of the Geo Method's use and mixture ratio.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

The only way to go, in my opinion! I don't use "hot" water though and it still works....... Been using this method for 8 years or so and I find it the best solution for the black tank!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I tried that once, but I couldn't get my head down the hole to see if it actually worked. And the Calgon was expensive, heavy and bulky to carry with.
I've not found the "problem" to be that much of a problem. When my monitor is suspect, I just use the "wand" to spray the inside of the black tank.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
When I had a T@Da, I used the windshield washer in the cassette toilet tank, it held it's own 3 gallons separate from the rest of the trailer and windshield washer fluid is easier to find and costs less than rv anti freeze.
I used the correct antifreeze in the traps and water lines located in the remainder of the trailer. But being able to use the toilet while the trailer was winterized was very convenient.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... I used the windshield washer in the cassette toilet tank, it held it's own 3 gallons separate from the rest of the trailer and windshield washer fluid is easier to find and costs less than rv anti freeze.

...But being able to use the toilet while the trailer was winterized was very convenient.
Jim, were you actually flushing the toilet with the washer fluid, rather than just winterizing with it? I can see wanting the cheapest possible fluid for that! Having the toilet working in an otherwise winterized trailer is an interesting idea.

For just winterizing, plumbing antifreeze that can be found in every WalMart and hardware store (around here... don't know about warmer places) isn't too hard to find.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, I was using the washer antifreeze for flushing, it worked better than the rv antifreeze, not as thick and sticky. I really liked the cassette set up for ease of use and winter time availability.It had it's own water supply and built in gauge and was separate from the trailer's water supply. For the rest of the trailer I did use rv antifreeze, but using it to flush seemed wasteful, thus the windshield washer fluid at 1/3 cost.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #14

NE Oklahoma
That's one tip I will remember as our trailer will be sporting a cassette toilet. haha
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
But, I recall Lil Snoozy's toilet does not have it's own water supply, it pulls from your tank so that my procedure only works if the cassette has it's own water supply separate from the rest of the unit. Check with Alan or Nick.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #16

NE Oklahoma
Interesting point. There is plumbing from the water supply back there.
I know there is plumbing back to there for the shower. So it may draw flush water also.
I will check.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
If you do not have to add water to your cassette, then it is drawing from your main tank.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #18

Two last comments on the cassette toilet fill:

A cassette toilet is usually (maybe not always) plumbed into the trailer, rather than having a separate water tank, because it is built into the trailer body so the waste tank cassette can be removed through an outside hatch. This antifreeze flush idea seems ideal for a portable toilet, which always has its own supply tank.

A plumbing antifreeze based on propylene glycol would be sticky; one of the alcohol-only types would be more suitable for this non-standard use, and I assume that it would be diluted to just strong enough to not freeze.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have had 2 cassette toilets and both had their own fresh water supply. I didn't even know it was possible to have one plumbed into the fresh water supply but that would have helped me avoid a lot of spills! I don't know if I would like that though after taking a minute to think about it.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I don't know if I would like that though after taking a minute to think about it.
Just curious: why not? I can't imagine why I would want an additional chore of separately filling another tank, unless the trailer had no pump and a toilet having its own tank could run without power.